Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harvesting And Hauling Firewood For A Winter In Montana: With Hand Tools! sarco2000 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 38 09-30-2015 07:54 PM
hauling popup camper without trailer hitch ?? bigislandhikers DIY - Do It Yourself 36 08-28-2014 03:47 PM
My 12 volt diesel fuel transfer pump for SHTF fuel collection. (Pictures) Rockyriver DIY - Do It Yourself 3 09-22-2013 01:14 AM
Be safe when hauling gas Hummer Vehicles & Transportation 7 06-23-2013 02:14 PM
Hauling scrap iron and cutting trees at the homestead kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 02-24-2013 09:30 PM
Hauling firewood on an external frame aletoledo Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 03-31-2012 01:20 AM
Got my diesel fuel tank installed, I'm ready fuel wise for if the SHTF. (Pictures) Rockyriver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 07-17-2011 09:41 PM
Time management tip for hauling gear Beserker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 04-07-2011 04:54 PM
Wierd weather....hauling in the catfish! Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 03-29-2011 02:04 PM

Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,725 Times in 899 Posts
Default Hauling Fuel

Advertise Here

Anyone else haul their own fuel for heat?

I started this year, after I bought the pick-up (hard to haul fuel in an SUV). It saves money for me. I am already in town every day so travel costs are effectively nil, and the .25 cents (I have seen it as much as .40 cents cheaper) a gallon saved makes it worth it.

At first, I used 55 gallon drums but recently moved up to an IBC tote (300~ gallon capacity). I have not filled it up yet. I thought 2300+ lbs may be a little much for a 3/4 ton, at least for mine.

The first trip with the IBC was 200 gallons. I was already doing 160+ with the 55 gallon drums. The last trip was 250 (about 1850lbs). Honestly the truck didn't get ****y about the weight at all. It sat level (maybe just a tad low on the back end) and the tires looked fine. If anything, it is the sloshing. I think I have to go ahead and fill it up to the 300-330 gallon capacity, or get a smaller IBC tote.

I plan to load the IBC up and take the truck to be weighed. However, my guess bestimate is filling it will put it just under or over the GVWR, depending on if it is closer to 300 (2250lbs) or 330 (2475lbs) gallons full. The tote is an extra 150-175 lbs. All of this is still under the max, but when you add me, the fuel for the truck, and all the crap I carry, it adds up.

The hand pump got old real fast. So a few months back I bought a 12vdc pump, which is really nice. The hose had to be replaced (for an arctic grade) and the nozzle was a piece of crap. It leaked almost from the get-go. So I went and spent $80.00 on a better nozzle.

All told, I have about $800.00 in this set-up. Seems like a lot, but considering we go through about 3000 gallons of fuel a year and save at least .25 cents a gallon doing this, it is just about paid for in the first year.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AK_Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 330,270 Times in 37,609 Posts

I get mine delivered but don't use too much. Thanks for the
information. I'll let some friends know about the savings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carne Frio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 6,202 Times in 2,011 Posts

Yes, you don't want to drive around with a liquid tank that is partially full. The storage tanks should be completely full or completely empty. I work as firefighter and Fire departments operate their water tanker trucks that way. The sloshing liquid can make your vehicle tip, take longer to stop, and adversely affect handling just do to the sloshing you mentioned. Liquids are also very heavy so that is a lot of weight that is moving around.
The Following User Says Thank You to kfilly For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 03:19 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,189 Times in 9,940 Posts

Put it on a trailer and pull it instead...
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,725 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio View Post
I get mine delivered but don't use too much. Thanks for the information. I'll let some friends know about the savings.
My last trip to the bulk plant, I paid $2.49 a gallon (#2 fuel oil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Put it on a trailer and pull it instead...
Yah, I thought about that. I talked to a couple of people I saw at the bulk plant who also used the IBC totes. They all agreed the trailer thing, in the winter anyway, was maybe not the best idea. One old timer I talked to about it said he did it once last winter and it was an "interesting endeavor" that ranked right up there with his first marriage.

Still, it is in the back of my mind. I have an old 3/4T pickup that I could convert to a trailer. An axel I could use that would bolt on, handle the weight and has electric brakes. It would be great for the summer anyway.

This whole thing has got me on kind of a kick. Last time I was there I found out I could get road diesel and even unleaded in bulk (100 gallons and up) for less than the gas station prices. I am considering a 3 or 500 gallon tank for road diesel. Maybe more. That is a minute or two down the road though.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,189 Times in 9,940 Posts

Don't listen to your buddies. Pulling a small trailer like that in the winter is not that big a deal. It would be nice to have brakes on it though. The trailer option is probably safer than overloading your truck. Besides, people pull much larger trailers all the time.