***Ladies Forum Only*** Haircut Disaster (Rant) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 01-03-2020, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,140 Times in 547 Posts
Default ***Ladies Forum Only*** Haircut Disaster (Rant)

Advertise Here

This has happened MORE times than I care to count . I can live with this haircut BUT why should I? I even took a picture with me, so the woman doing the cutting could SEE what I wanted. Yeah, I said plenty to let her know I wasn't happy about it. She knocked off a couple of dollars, but kept quiet. Big fricking deal!
I now have a short, short pixie cut . Definitly NOT what I asked for!
Really, I've had this happen sooo many times over the years. WHERE do they get these people?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Prepared

Know how you feel. Spent $$$ for a good cut and ended up with a very, very short Jamie Lee Curtis chop. Of course, I have baby-fine hair that, due to age and hypothyroid, is thinning, I looked like a skin head. She just kept talking and snipping. Thank goodness hair grows back, though. I wasn't pleased but just paid and left - haven't been back. Since then, I've decided big bucks doesn't determine a great haircut. I now go to those walk-in $15.00 in and out places and have been pretty pleased with what they've done. At least they do listen to me. Good luck finding a good stylist!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mesquite For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,600 Posts

This is why I always go to the same person to get my haircuts. Absolutely worth waiting extra to get the person you know will do a good job. And when you do get a good haircut, make sure you tip generously (and always thereafter). Stylists and beauticians are among those that depend heavily on tips. Next time you go in, the stylist will remember you in a good way...
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepal View Post
This has happened MORE times than I care to count . I can live with this haircut BUT why should I? I even took a picture with me, so the woman doing the cutting could SEE what I wanted. Yeah, I said plenty to let her know I wasn't happy about it. She knocked off a couple of dollars, but kept quiet. Big fricking deal!
I now have a short, short pixie cut . Definitly NOT what I asked for!
Really, I've had this happen sooo many times over the years. WHERE do they get these people?
Todays help on most things is useless. They believe they are the elite and everything they do is always right. I would have gone to the manager showed her you picture and refused to pay for the hair cut. I recently hired a recommended painter who put a coat of paint on my basement walls. There were dark pocks on it, Told him he should have knew to use a long nap roller for a concrete wall. He came back and did a 2nd coat. Looks good now. tell people when their work is not acceptable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:02 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,662 Times in 13,959 Posts

When you see a woman with nice hair ask who her stylist is. She will be thrilled with the complement and tell you. Ask 5 or 6 people, if you do it in the same area, chances are it won't take long to hear the same name twice. There is your new stylist.
On a budget the best cuts can often be found at a cosmetology school or barber college. Sure it takes longer, but it's often less than 5 bucks and I have never ONCE had them screw up anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,140 Times in 547 Posts

I've enlisted ALL these methods regularly at one time or another (i.e., ask around, tipped well, gone to the same beautician, etc.) Just my luck I guess, but when you travel around as much as I have you get what's available most times . I even insisted on waiting 6 months to have a particular stylist do my hair because he was 1500 miles away during a summer vacation , but then the shop closed down, couldn't find him after that and believe me, I tried. Back to square one .
Oh, I know all about those who gab instead paying attention. The first time I ever went to a salon I was 14, came highly recommended by my SIL, she wanted to make sure my first time was done right. Yeah, right. The beautician picked up the WRONG scissors and proceeded to wack my hair off in front. Could have heard a pin drop, everyone froze, the length of long hair dangled in her hand . Embarrassed beyond measure with the attention focused upon ME, I just wanted her to fix it. Then the shop charged me. My SIL was livid.
Of the ones I HAVE found to properly cut my hair, the often pawn me off on another. Can't win for losing, LOL. It'll grow back, but they just lost my business.
The Following User Says Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Target Shooter

So this is why I learned to cut my own hair, yrs ago! I figured I could screw it up on my own for free, lol. I’ve had a couple of friends who showed me ways to do things, though most of it I learned by trial and error. I can imagine that now, with youtube, it would be much easier to learn how on one’s own!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 PM
Prepared

Ive been cutting my own hair for a couple years. I was tired of paying so much money. I did some careful youtube research and TADA, long layered locks for the price of a $9 pair of sheers. I get asked who cuts my hair often.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLoneMommy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 02:01 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,026 Posts

I do long layers too and finally learned how to do it myself. Even layer the top, taper down the sides of my face, make decent bangs, and feather back the sides.

Only problem is it can wear out your arms, as the longer your hair is, the longer your arms need to be to cut it. My hair is currently past mid-back as I wear it up most of the time and like a nice big bun or braid. You can wear layered hair in a bun or braid wound around the head old German style, but you need to glue down the ends where they stick out with a little hairspray. That's about a long as I can cut it myself because my arms won't reach any further. Worst case, I can bend over, brush it all down toward the floor and nip along the bottom edge if I can reach it. Adds a bit of layering but not the same as sectioning it around your head like they do at the salon.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Grevcon 7ⓖ and MGM 10ⓜ

Thanked 1,615 Times in 513 Posts

Gosh, I so relate, I used to cut my own hair when I was younger, no one seemed to get it right. But now, my case, the problems are most specifically with color. My hair pulls red and can by tricky to get a natural looking dark blond done with foils. Inevitably, I’ll drive an hour or two for someone who gets it right for a while (gay men) then they always seem to be going through some person thing and start screwing it up. The last guy did my hair beautifully for a few years, then the salon changed hands, new gay guys were in there and he just got super distracted by everything going on around him, to the point of forgetting to set the timer on color, plus was making crude gay “jokes” with them in front of the clients. Anyway, I have no idea how he could have made my color so wrong the last time I went to him (two Christmases ago) but I found a girl in town who does exactly what I want, been going to her for a year now. She pays attention and doesn’t get distracted. I wanted to go to a referral of a friend, but she was going on maternity leave, and my friend said all the other stylists do a great job there, she was right! Good luck with your hair!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kathy_in_ca For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,026 Posts

Kathy, you can get a little packet of stuff called 'No Red' for about a dollar at Sally Beauty Supply. Other places will have it, or something similar. It keeps blonde shades from turning red or brassy. It's black, you mix it in your hair color.

Works great and no more strawberry blonde. Just nice light blonde.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,009 Times in 3,485 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

My oldest daughter does our haircuts. She was a licensed cosmetologist (she works for the state, now) and is the ONLY one I trust to do anything to my hair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,662 Times in 13,959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
My oldest daughter does our haircuts. She was a licensed cosmetologist (she works for the state, now) and is the ONLY one I trust to do anything to my hair.
I have my licence too, haven't worked in the biz since college BUT my BF/roommate from college has traveled from Denver or Omaha to Tulsa 2-3 times a year for me to do her hair for the last 40 years. Now THATs what I call loyalty! LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
When you see a woman with nice hair ask who her stylist is.
I did that and she said she cut it herself, so that's what I do now. I got some tips from her, but there are also tutorials on Youtube.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayBee For This Useful Post: