**Ladies Section** After this, how d'you think we should rebuild? ^_^ - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 PM
I want a house.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 327 Posts
Default **Ladies Section** After this, how d'you think we should rebuild? ^_^

Advertise Here

Hello!

480 ft2 apartment.
1 month water, Berkey filter, solar oven, liquid heat and alcohol for stove.
6 months worth of food, mostly spices, rice and beans (which is our daily food).
Window boxes with green things growing in them, sprouting on kitchen counter. Lots of seeds to sprout and plant.
Small stockpile of Tylenol, Neo Citrin, first aid kit, etc.
Solar / crank flashlights and radio, solar panel and two small but easy to use batteries that can power up LED lights.
Humanure preps if needed, family cloth, Diva cup. A single bag of t.p. because we don't really *use* it.

Fortunate enough to not need to leave the home for a long, long time. Not going to, either. This apartment has become our space ship, and nest, and comfortable place to hide from outside in.

So, assuming we live through, how to re-build the stockpile so that it can last us even up to a year or two?
(And add more tea! Holy cow I didn't know we drank this much tea! Even when we re-dip, it's still waaaaay more than I realized!)

To me, it's not worth risking my life or the life of my family by wandering outside for a tub of sour cream or a bag of chips, or a chocolate bar which my sister does on the regular.
I've been reading about runs on groceries and have seen the pictures of the empty shelves. We don't have to panic at all, because we have the things already that we need here.

When the 'all clear' is given, how does one re-build their stocks from empty or close to empty?
I don't want to fight Granny for the bag of beans to replace ours; don't want to be knifed over a pound of ground beef because someone has literally been starving. This makes sense to us all, that we wait for a few weeks until the people who didn't prep before this nonsense happened get their big sacks of food into their homes.

But I have a concern that we'll continue to have shipping and stocking concerns. When I speak with my sister, it remains that the shelves are always mostly bare any more.

Do we do it as we have always done it - a few extra cans here, a couple of extra bags of beans or lentils there? Or do we go in, guns just a blazing, and fill a complete cart with all the food that we want to deeply shove back into the emptier spots of our pantry?

Last edited by kokosmom2; 04-12-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ewe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,636 Times in 13,954 Posts

You don't say where you are located but check the states sections here. Most of them have virus updates going and can tell you about the ground game in your area. Don't wait until all of your supplies are low or depleted. Don't go out for just one or two items, buy as much online for delivery as possible. When you do go, make a list and ONE of you go for the whole lot at once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 05:55 PM
I want a house.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 327 Posts

Thank you, surfcast and Jojo for your responses. I was wondering if I had made a horrible, horrible mistake writing the thread.

I'm from Ontario, Canada. I live with someone, but not my sister. No car, nor access to one.
Not interested in going out at all, not unless we're down to the bare walls of the cupboards, so no worries - although TEMPTED to go out for tea and store bread I won't.
If we must get a list happening, only then would I be considering it.

Sincerely was dithering between just running out of everything we have, at least during this phase of the lock down, and picking up larder supplies when the shelter-in-place order has been lifted, for the next lock-down.
I suspect we're going to have periods of relative freedom, and periods like this when you're not going out for love or money.
Was planning on waiting for the mad rush of folk to scoop up what they want, first.
Again, not interested in getting into a fist or knife fight with someone filling their grocery cart with food they'll never eat because they just don't eat that kind of food.
: /

So glad we have a credit card that we may buy online, if push comes to shove, actually. Thinking of the millions out there that have borked their credit so much they do not have the capacity to do so.
Glad, also, we have a few window boxes that we're growing salad things in already. We did that this Autumn, because if we want a head of lettuce in the winter, it's between $4 and $7 (depending on the supply). Screw that. Two dollars worth of seed is lettuce every week. We have ramped up the greens, though, and am looking to grow a couple of jalapeno plants from seeds the grocery store fresh peppers gave us in late February.
I found two sprouted potatoes, too, so into a three gallon bucket they went. XD It ain't much, but it's not going to hurt none, either. Heh.

Both of you have very different thoughts though - one suggests going with sister-dear or friend, and the other suggests alone.
We have one of those drag-behind-you shopping carts, with the privacy cover (no one but my family needs to see what I bring home, not even the landlady).

Might either of you be telling your reasoning for the suggestion of either with a friend/sis or by oneself?

Thank you, both, again. Much gratitude.

Post Script (edited in):

We have ginger, orange trees (don't ask, lol) and other aromatic herbs growing for tea. Any other suggestions for a tiny, very compact plant that will do well in a four inch pot in a window for tea? Again, I had NO IDEA that we drank this much flavouring for hot water. XD

Thank you!

Last edited by Ewe; 04-10-2020 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Post Script
Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,636 Times in 13,954 Posts

My reasoning for going alone is to keep the crowds in the store as low as possible and to only directly expose one person in your house. Hubby goes out because i am high risk. He comes in drops supplies in the mud room along with everything he is wearing and hits the shower. I sanitize the car, door handles, everything he had in his pockets and the contents of all the bags as well as possible. Only then are supplies moved to the house. Then it's my turn for a shower.
I don't know what kind of rules you have there now, but in some stores in OK, only one person is allowed in. You can't take your hubby or sister or kids.
I have a FB friend in Canada, he hasn't mentioned much difficulty shopping in big-city Toronto. I don't think it's as bad as you think it is out there, you just have to use common sense and err on the side of caution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 03:22 PM

I'm still going out once a week to grocery shop and when I do, I always get a few extra things. I've actually added to our preps since this started without any "panic buying". I wear mask and gloves, like almost everyone else I see nowadays. For me, the risk of becoming sick is so low that I feel like it's worth the trade-off to save our preps for worse times.

I feel like you, OP, that we're going to keep going through periods like this and that there will be disruptions in the supply chain. Those are the worse times that I'm anticipating. As long as there's food available and I remain healthy, I'm going to keep buying it and adding to my food preps.
The Following User Says Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 AM

I am/or my Hubby just buying one extra item of the things we are depleting, on each shopping trip. Just one or 2 of whatever depleted item, per trip, along with our regular groceries. Little by little.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wondering For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 AM

I'm going grocery shopping every week or so and continuing to add to my preps by buying two items for every one I use. I'm not depleting my preps at all and won't while shops are open and have stuff on their shelves. There are gaps on the shelves, but we can find almost everything still (except toilet paper of course, and strangely, kitty litter -- a backup plan for people with no clue?)

I'm in a fortunate position as it's nowhere near as bad here in Australia (only four deaths in my entire state and 61 in the whole country) as it is elsewhere. The swine flu was worse here than this one, with many more cases and deaths. But it is bad in places like the US and seems to be worst in overcrowded areas like New York. Since I don't feel under much threat from this virus (although many people here [the TV watchers ] seem to be terrified of it) I'm actually using this time as a kind of a practice run for if (and hopefully never) we get a really deadly virus like the 1918 Spanish flu that killed about 50 million people. Since the global population then was around 1/4 what it is today, that translates to a death toll of ~200 million if something like that hit today.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayBee For This Useful Post: