Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Days, Tiger's Story. Version 1.2 Warclaw Books, Movies & Stories 101 06-18-2018 10:32 PM
Physics of EMP and EMP mitigation TyMoore Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 6 12-04-2017 08:51 AM
No 90% of americans wouldn't die duaned Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 154 05-17-2017 11:49 AM

Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,266 Times in 6,424 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Can you provide the data you speak of? A link or something?
Its called the EMP commission report. You may have heard of it. If your interested in EMP's I suggest you read through it.

A link....http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

I get tired of posting this.

Quote:
We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively . Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.
Until we get some contradictory scientific information the idea of and EMP disabling cars and small electronics remains a MYTH used to sell snake oil products and fantasy books to gullible preppers.

I find all the belief magical EMP's really confusing since all you have to do is a simple web search for information on this and the first thing you will find is the EMP commission report, the only official, published scientific data on the subject, which clearly lays out what an EMP is and is not. Hell, just look at wikipedia and it will get you there. Its like people go out of there way to find mythical things to be scared off.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 81,826 Times in 23,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Its called the EMP commission report. You may have heard of it. If your interested in EMP's I suggest you read through it.

A link....http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

I get tired of posting this.

Until we get some contradictory scientific information the idea of and EMP disabling cars and small electronics remains a MYTH used to sell snake oil products and fantasy books to gullible preppers.

I find all the belief magical EMP's really confusing since all you have to do is a simple web search for information on this and the first thing you will find is the EMP commission report, the only official, published scientific data on the subject, which clearly lays out what an EMP is and is not. Hell, just look at wikipedia and it will get you there. Its like people go out of there way to find mythical things to be scared off.
This has already been discredited (even mentioned in this thread we are in). They used low EMP strengths because they wanted to preserve the vehicles.

And I showed you a video above that you still apparently haven't watched of a car getting killed and unable to restart by an EMP. (although they didn't try disconnecting the battery and rebooting the ECM).

Until an EMP attack actually occurs, the jury is still out on what will happen, or the percentage of cars that would be damaged.

here is an interview of a senior EMI engineer that works for NASA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEaMlGfvYfQ

70% of cars would have anomolies . Then 1/3 of those would stall.
5% of all cars he thinks would be stalled and unable to restart. (7 million vehicles would be dead and down for the count).
He does say that if the vehicle is not running, he thinks it would likely survive.

This is for 1 EMP weapon. If multiple weapons are used ?

If the grid is down, lack of fuel availability will effectively disable your vehicle after a short time anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Until an EMP attack actually occurs, the jury is still out on what will happen.
Indeed. And I am going to go with the official data instead of discovery channel specials until then.

I will also continue not to believe in other discovery channel topics such as ghosts and Bigfoot.

Either way...it won't make that big practical difference as even if you protect your car or its simply not effected, the grid and everything else certainly will be. One Second after or One Gas tank after...your in the same (row) boat.

The long and short of it though is that as there is no credible information showing an EMP will kill a car, there is also no credible information on how to protect one.

Its like asking what is the best caliber to hunt bigfoot...you have to believe in alternative facts to even ask the question so any answer you get will be similar.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Indeed. And I am going to go with the official data instead of discovery channel specials until then.

I will also continue not to believe in other discovery channel topics such as ghosts and Bigfoot.

Either way...it won't make that big practical difference as even if you protect your car or its simply not effected, the grid and everything else certainly will be. One Second after or One Gas tank after...your in the same (row) boat.

The long and short of it though is that as there is no credible information showing an EMP will kill a car, there is also no credible information on how to protect one.

Its like asking what is the best caliber to hunt bigfoot...you have to believe in alternative facts to even ask the question so any answer you get will be similar.
I showed you a video of an EMP test killing a car. So you saying there is no credible evidence is just wrong.
And a guy with a doctorate degree on the subject who works at NASA says that millions of cars will be disabled.

This is not Bigfoot. Maybe you are Bigfoot. I hear Bigfoot doesn't believe in EMPs.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Maybe bigfoot generates EMPs.....thats why nobody can get him on camera.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,039 Times in 1,973 Posts

The real answer is we do not know.

Electronics have gotten alot more prevalent in cars, electronics that the car needs to function.
At the same time, proces nodes for ICs have been shrinking meaning that a smaller surge could damage them.

But cars are noisy in the EM spectrum to begin with, so shielding has gone up as well.

Higher field strengths are possible with nukes designed for EMP generation. But peak field strength will only occur in a small region and will fall off quite quickly. The test regime would be more indicative of the impact over a wider area.

For cars the answer is We dont know, but we have some indication.

For unconnected electronics the same answer holds true.

For the electrical grid itself I do not have high hopes of survival.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,200 Posts

Probably more important is to be concerned about how you will survive the millions of vehicle crashes that will take place when all those vehicles on the road suddenly stop working and cannot be properly driven. Making a Faraday cage garage is a good idea but what if you are on the road when the thing hits?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drray777 View Post
Probably more important is to be concerned about how you will survive the millions of vehicle crashes that will take place when all those vehicles on the road suddenly stop working and cannot be properly driven. Making a Faraday cage garage is a good idea but what if you are on the road when the thing hits?
keep driving ?
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Hunter

If you're worried about EMP on your vehicle than you're ill informed and don't understand the goal of EMP... Pretty much anything with surge protection should be fine. It'll likely turn off for a second and then reboot. That's the goal... If you shoot an EMP, take down the computers momentarily and then for the next 5-30 minutes there are no computers. No missile defense system, no cellular communication... etc etc etc. That's the only goal. It isn't to make your desktop explode like in that James Bond movie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettboat View Post
If you're worried about EMP on your vehicle than you're ill informed and don't understand the goal of EMP... Pretty much anything with surge protection should be fine. It'll likely turn off for a second and then reboot. That's the goal... If you shoot an EMP, take down the computers momentarily and then for the next 5-30 minutes there are no computers. No missile defense system, no cellular communication... etc etc etc. That's the only goal. It isn't to make your desktop explode like in that James Bond movie.
Of course, how stupid of me not to realize that the physical effects of a bomb blast depend upon the "goals of the EMP".
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Of course, how stupid of me not to realize that the physical effects of a bomb blast depend upon the "goals of the EMP".
Alot of people saw James Bond Golden Eye and think that it makes desktops blow up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 AM

www.empshield.com
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschiele79 View Post
If you believe in that product, I have some land in Montana to sell you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 63,244 Times in 8,965 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I will sell you that land for 3% less than CONELRAD.

lol

Just my opinion.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 PM

Bradley - mentioned earlier in this thread, is manufacturing his own devices called the EMPStorm....they don't go on vehicles, but for homes and solar systems. I won't link to anything as I posted something a while back and got banned for sharing a link....
Old 06-26-2020, 04:54 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
What I don't understand is why we (the US government), don't run EMP tests on the normal vehicles on the road today, using their EMP generator test rig and report the results with different EMP strength levels, and also encourage automobile manufacturers to comply with new federal regulations mandating EMP resistance?

After all, they mandate other safety testing and standards like crash testing, emissions standards, CAFE fuel economy standards...

Why on the ONE REAL VULNERABILITY THAT COULD WIPE OUT AMERICA, DO THEY NOT INSERT THEIR POINTY LITTLE BEAKS?

(maybe I should ask them more nicely).
The Army Did Test. Very few Vehicles are effected. If yours is, disconnect the Pos Battery Cable and count to 15. The Computer will reboot. Its Y2K all over again.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:08 PM

The main use of a 3 Billion Dollar War Head, is not to take out 40,000 Dollar Cars. Its purpose is to take out a Muti Trillion Dollar, Power Grid in the Richest Most Powerful Nation on the Planet. Will it work? The Math says it will. I don't think any Nation is Fool Enough, to Launch. It WONT get through the Latest Gen *****. The US proved that 11 times, (to China) 2 years ago. You can Google it. 20 mins after "Mission Complete" was declare, my buddy said he was waiting for *** to post our U Tube Vid. Our "Team" was gathered in the Tumoning Hilton Bar to watch it. Then we came home.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:19 PM

The ***** System's Command and Control is now "Spaced Based". Japanese Navy and IAF are now "Tapped In" to it. This "Space Based System" controls UAVs also. There isn't much that isn't "Slaved" to it now even Arty ******** is now accurate out to 125 K. Any "Launch", anywhere on the Planet will be Swiftly reacted to, in Layers. Nothing will get here. The Trap for Gog has been set. IAF has their finger on the Button.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resto View Post
The Army Did Test. Very few Vehicles are effected. If yours is, disconnect the Pos Battery Cable and count to 15. The Computer will reboot. Its Y2K all over again.
What I read was an EMP test was conducted, but they didn't want to scrap the cars, so they dialed it back a bit.

I don't know for sure anything one way or the other.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
What I read was an EMP test was conducted, but they didn't want to scrap the cars, so they dialed it back a bit.

I don't know for sure anything one way or the other.
They tested different strengths. Then they drove them out to the Range as Targets. The company I work for does it.