Survivalist Forum banner

Why the white privilege argument is silly and insulting

3K views 66 replies 34 participants last post by  Walter Tyler 
#1 ·
Just watched a college discussion with a few hundred college kids and professors offer up a host of ideas to combat the dreaded and mythical "white privilege".

The assertion is that white folks watch out for other white folks based solely on skin pigmentation. Thusly it's nearly impossible for non-whites to succeed because of this white privilege on the same level.

Oddly not addressed in the discussion was:

Gender privilege, Jewish privilege, Native American privilege, born wealthy privilege, born good looking privilege, intelligence privilege, educated privilege, good family privilege, black privilege, Hispanic privilege, European privilege, just being lucky privilege, tall privilege, not being related to Oprah privilege, my personal religious choice privilege, hard working privilege, gay privilege, straight privilege, living off the system and not working privilege and million other advantages.

Are there cases of white privilege? Probably so, I'm sure there are some folks out there who tend to give people who look and act like them some advantages. We can't measure it, point to it because it's based on suspicion.

To be honest, these type of advantages probably exist in all cultures. However we can point to a few documented cases.

Asian privilege for example. Turns out Asians earn more than white folks. In fact are accepted into the best colleges and universities by a wide margin. Princeton University did a study and founds Asians out-score nearly everyone in their SAT scores.

They found that (because of affirmative action) black are given 230 points while Asians must subtract 50 points. The privileged Asians still out perform black students. I have yet to figure out how to scream "unfair" on that one.

The white privilege argument is really a silly racist argument. It says if you are a certain skin color you should shut-up because you should have no opinion based on your skin color. The text book definition of racism. You simply can't fight racism with racism.

It's just another BS term the left has come up with. 25-30 years ago we were dealing with "post slavery syndrome" that was all the rage.

I find these ridiculous assertions to be racist, and intellectually insulting especially to people of color because they make an underlining assumption blacks need excuses to explain the over all lack of success.

your thoughts...

See less See more
#2 ·
I heard white privilege speaking once when a progressive hipster college student argued that voter ID is racist, because black people were not educated enough to know how to find the DMV, operate the internet, or own a phone. And that same white privilege believes that their ivy league education should be funded by loans they never repay which are taken out of the taxes of the working lower and middle class who are comprised of all races. It is that progs privilege to belittle an entire race "for their own protection" while forcing them to pay more taxes to fund their worthless education. That is the only white privilege I've ever seen.

#3 ·
I saw a lot of white privilege when Eddie Murphy went undercover as a white person for a documentary on SNL...personally, I'm obviously not white enough to get the privileges everyone keeps talking about, so I feel the hipster-snowflake's pain.

it sucks when you have to pay your own college tuition, work overtime, and then apply to multiple corporations before you can even get a decent job. not to mention all the discrimination I face trying to get my rap album promoted...

#4 ·
try telling the "white privilege" crowd to pull up their pants, turn their hat around right, learn a skill the next guy does not have, and mind their mouth and manners. you will be called a yo yo and asccused of being their father.

it is ever so much easier to make an excuse than it is to follow the guidelines and behave yourself all the time when you are in public. the best excuses lay the blame for your problems on people who don't look like you.

#5 ·
I was raised by a single mother with 4 kids, on welfare, dead beat dad no child support. We were on the dole for several years and finally got off it when Mom went to college to get her nursing degree. She graduated top of her class, (Phi beta Kappa)..
None of her kids went to jail, beat our wives got hooked on drugs, dropped out of high school, or had children until we could support them.
We paid for our own education by working for it and went to schools we could afford to go to, earning marketable degrees or went into trades.
We WORKED for everything we achieved, No one gave us any slack. I want to know about this so called white privilege, This must be something new because I never experienced it.

#8 ·
I'd like to get up and close to some of these "white privilege" birds and yell at them "Don't tell ME that I had white privilege!"

I grew up one of five kids of a tenant farmer in Nebraska. Cold small house with a kerosene stove, while Dad struggled to make a living.

Poverty, and the attendant humiliation was a daily fact for us.

And we weren't alone. Many of our neighbors were in the same fix. There was plenty of rural poverty in the 1960's.

At the same time city people were yuk-yukking at TV shows like "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Green Acres", we were experiencing the reality.

I actually confronted one of these "immigrant advocacy group" morons recently. A lady who was crying about all the poor Somali immigrants who were in desperate need. I told her: "where were YOU and your group back when I was a kid? You don't need to import people from 8000 miles away to feed your victimization obsession. There are (and were) people right here in Nebraska who needed help."

She mumbled something to me and walked away without saying more.

#7 ·
I find these ridiculous assertions to be racist, and intellectually insulting especially to people of color because they make an underlining assumption blacks need excuses to explain the over all lack of success.

your thoughts...
The underlying assumption is that blacks are incapable of succeeding without the various programs, hand-outs, preferences, lower standards, head starts, affirimative actions and the rest. If this isn't a racist assumption, I don't know what is.

I heard white privilege speaking once when a progressive hipster college student argued that voter ID is racist, because black people were not educated enough (too dumb) to know how to find the DMV, operate the internet, or own a phone.
A leftist racist calling everybody else racist. Typical.

try telling the "white privilege" crowd to pull up their pants, turn their hat around right, learn a skill the next guy does not have, and mind their mouth and manners. you will be called a yo yo and asccused of being their father.

it is ever so much easier to make an excuse than it is to follow the guidelines and behave yourself all the time when you are in public. the best excuses lay the blame for your problems on people who don't look like you.
Behavior speaks volumes. I will not associate with ANYBODY who dresses, speaks, acts and behaves like that. That is the "cultural appropriation" that I object to.

#10 ·
The accusations of white privilege stem from successful networking where people of similar status help each other. Getting into those inner circles is difficult and the group may not accept you if you come from the wrong or significantly lower socio-economic class. It has less to do with race then those crying white privilege believe. Moving up classes is hard work. It requires study, practice, manners, dress codes, doing stuff that is boring, tedious, or sometimes seems pointless.

It's been touched on in this thread about actions and dress, but you have to remember to the well connected, a black person with baggy pants, crude language, and a backwards hat is no different then a white person with a missing tooth, poor grammar, and ratty clothes off the shelf of a big box store.

You don't go to private colleges and ivy league schools for the education, you go to make connections. Learn fashion, learn grammar, learn etiquette, learn boring crap like golf, learn to small talk with boring people, learn about fine food, wine, and drink, learn how to take a veiled insult with a smile, etc., etc.. These can be hard lessons for people not brought up in that lifestyle and they take study, practice, planning, and careful thought. If you aren't going to put in the work, then you'll never break into the privileged class.

That's okay, it's not for everyone. But even a mediocre effort at it will likely pull you up a level or two depending on how far down you start.

The most successful minority people I know all have similar things in common with the most successful white people I know. They are well dressed, articulate, well read, and are constantly networking through business, charity events, private parties, and donating to other successful people's pet causes. They volunteer to be on every community or charity committee possible. The average CEO reads 5 to 6 books a month. Most every executive here works out every morning.

I was raised on a farm in Nebraska too. We weren't dirt poor, but definitely in the lower part of the lower middle class bordering on poverty level at times. I wore used clothes to school at times, and since it was a small town, I always hoped other kids didn't recognize any items they may have tossed into the donation bin. I wasn't accepted by the in crowd. I didn't get the support that many of the better off kids in town got, either from the school, the local businesses, or my own family. My family didn't have a clue as to what they didn't know and couldn't help me get scholarships, or study for tests, or have a network of friends to draw from to help. Lucky for me I'm astute enough to recognize human behavior and willing to look at my shortcomings and correct them enough to blend in with crowds of people who could help me advance.

Had I started from upper middle class I'd have likely moved up from there instead of ending up in the upper middle class after years of hard work. One family friend might have catapulted my career and put me decades ahead. But I didn't have it. It wasn't until I developed my own network, that I was able to jump up doubling my pay levels each time by landing jobs that were never posted.

#17 ·
I run elbows with the rich and powerful all the time. I'm not one of them (though I almost was in 2007), but i speak their language. I learned their dog whistles. I developed their tastes. I educated myself in their disciplines. They make allusions as a way of putting out feelers, and I reciprocate. It isn't about race or wealth or status, but rather one of cultural compatibility. It's no more difficult than learning a new language.

#11 ·
How about Democratic voter/politician/SJW/Marxist/comrade/illegals/minority privilege? They get away with violent attacks, doxing, swatting, firing people that do not agree with their ideology, forced silencing of free speech, harassment at their oppositions homes/work, etc.

One group of illegal "protestors" in NYC did not get fingerprinted so the Federales would not be notified.

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/daca-fingerprints-nypd/

How is that for privilege?

#13 · (Edited)
There is a debate-killer that works every time: minimum wage. At the turn of the 20th century, black unemployment was near zero. Blacks were taking all of the jobs. The Democrats invented minimum wage in order to take the free market out of the way of their notorious in-group preference to hire whites.

That may seem to confirm white privilege, but think about it: in the deep South, at a time when the Klan ruled the Democrat Party in its entirety, from dog catcher up to President, the most racist people in the country were hiring blacks ahead of whites based on merit. The blacks were worth more per dollar paid than the whites, and the racists hired blacks because of it. It wasn't until the Klan Democrats gave whites an artificial advantage of not having to work for competitive rates that in-group preferences re-emerged.

The moral of the story is that the free market is colorblind, and that returning to a free market is the ONLY way to get past the looming spectre of racism. Laissez faire all the way, beotchezz.

#21 ·
There is a debate-killer that works every time: minimum wage. At the turn of the 20th century, black unemployment was near zero. Blacks were taking all of the jobs. The Democrats invented minimum wage in order to take the free market out of the way of their notorious in-group preference to hire whites.

That may seem to confirm white privilege, but think about it: in the deep South, at a time when the Klan ruled the Democrat Party in its entirety, from dog catcher up to President, the most racist people in the country were hiring blacks ahead of whites based on merit. The blacks were worth more per dollar paid than the whites, and the racists hired blacks because of it. It wasn't until the Klan Democrats gave whites an artificial advantage of not having to work for competitive rates that in-group preferences re-elected.

The moral of the story is that the free market is colorblind, and that returning to a free market is the ONLY way to get past the looming spectre of racism. Laissez faire all the way, beotchezz.
excellent points HD!!!:thumb:

#34 ·
True story:

When I was a sophomore in high school, I had a hippie dippy English teacher, so a number of us made a pact to try for the worst grade possible on a poetry explication. The only rule was that we had to do our best, and the poem we selected had to be the source of our bad grade. So I chose White Man's Burden by Rudyard Kipling. This in a class with half a dozen black students, one of whom had just presented a poem about equality and the struggles of being black.

There was silence. You could have heard a pin drop. It was like a scene from a Hallmark Movie Channel made-for-TV movie, except that the slow-clap that erupted started with the black students. I got the best grade in the class for how well I Illustrated the progress in race relations over the course of the prior century, and affirmed the purpose of the civil rights movement. It was surreal. I was the teacher's darling from that moment forward, and it was all because I tried my level best to get the worst possible grade by selecting the most racist and condescending poem I could find and extol its virtues in front of the only 6 black students in the building.

Needless to say, it backfired. I lost the bet. Epically.

#16 ·
I point blank asked one of those retards where my white privilege is. I told her I was tired of working two jobs and picking up the occasional odd job just to stay afloat financially. I kept escalating my rhetoric and volume until I was all but literally waving my arms and screaming for my white privilege. It was entertaining, aping the leftist's useful idiots right in front of them.

#18 ·
Asians (especially East Asians...Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc.) graduate from high school, score better on standardized tests and college entrance exams, graduate from college, earn advanced degrees, make more money and enjoy a higher standard of living than any other ethnic group (besides Ashkanazi Jews).

They have accomplished this despite having suffered incredible discrimination when they first began migrating to this country. Asians were banned from many occupations in the Western territories, and the railroads literally used them as human blasting caps during construction of the transcontinental railroad. They were the only group (Japanese) to have suffered through forced internment during the modern era (WWII), too.

Discrimination and white privelage is not the reason that blacks, hispanics and other ethnic "minorities" continually find themselves on the wrong side of the "achievement gap".

#20 ·
I posted this in the feminism thread but meant to post it here:
to all the posters saying the only real "-ism" is classism, I believe you are correct. but I would caveat that with the fact that in the US--almost exclusively--it is possible to change classes. it is evident all over that many people are able and do rise up or even move down classes based on their desire or lack thereof.

an interesting book about class is called "class" by Paul Feusel.

personally after moving from lower middle class to upper middle class, I realized I didn't like being there and certainly had no desire to be elite. my wife and I spent years doing what we could to move up until we gained a perspective that we prefer to be more of a Class X, top-out-of-sight. much happier that way, and grateful we live in a country with enough opportunity for anyone to achieve whatever they want. flawed and imperfect though it is, our form of free market capitalism is the best path for humanity...

#23 ·
to all the posters saying the only real "-ism" is classism, I believe you are correct. but I would caveat that with the fact that in the US--almost exclusively--it is possible to change classes. it is evident all over that many people are able and do rise up or even move down classes based on their desire or lack thereof.

an interesting book about class is called "class" by Paul Feusel.

personally after moving from lower middle class to upper middle class, I realized I didn't like being there and certainly had no desire to be elite. my wife and I spent years doing what we could to move up until we gained a perspective that we prefer to be more of a Class X, top-out-of-sight. much happier that way, and grateful we live in a country with enough opportunity for anyone to achieve whatever they want. flawed and imperfect though it is, our form of free market capitalism is the best path for humanity...
I'm the same way. I got to a point and stopped, because I saw what it would take (or more importantly take away) to get any higher. I could pay people to do more things and take care of me, but I like physical labor, figuring out things, raising and being around my kids, and doing stuff myself. The next step up would have required sacrifices that I typically see cause family riffs in some manner; missing activities, holidays, vacations, etc.

It's entirely counterproductive for me to spend my time doing things like lawn care, auto repair, gardening, or house repair. I could go to work and make multiples of what I would pay someone else to do these things for me. But it's not in my true nature and I can only stand so many nights out, or so many committee meetings, or so many sports events, or so much travel, or so much rubbing elbows.

So for now I balance the two the best I can. I may modify that some as I age and physical things become more difficult and kids move off. I make take more advantage of the opportunities to attend different after hours events using corporate tickets in the corporate seating. That typically means wearing a suit, bringing my checkbook, and talking to city councilmen, mayors, lawyers, news people, or business leaders. Now, I pass and go to the sidelines of my kid's games or parent teachers conferences.

What I find interesting is the minority kids in our neighborhood have no problems with the police, school, racial profiling, or racist stuff we typically hear about. Nobody cares as long as the kids aren't trash. The police aren't constantly profiling and pulling over non-whites in the area. I never hear people whispering racists things when they date white kids.

There are drug dealing garbage white kids in our school system I won't let near my family. They are constantly in trouble with the police and school administration. They're past activities and current associates have removed any benefit of the doubt when evaluating them.

Following general social norms seems to generate more privileges than race.

#22 ·
There's a pretty big difference between 'affinity' and 'privilege'.

All human beings do both. As somebody who came out of a working class rural background and who was educated into a middle class profession, I have an affinity for people like me.

I prefer to hang around people with a similar background and similar values. My religion is also a part of that. I have a lot of fun with other Christians and would feel out-of-place among pagans or serious Buddhists. I'd also feel marginalized by vegans or porn actors.

*shrugs*

It's not skin, it's culture. I have way more in common with blacks who fish and go to church than I do with whites who fear the outdoors and budget for Starbucks.

"Privilege" has become a meaningless term since it applies to everything from macro-economics down to gardening.

People will always sort out among themselves based on background, culture, religion, values, and location. So what?

#24 ·
Good points. I tried to read the gardening link but I couldn't. Not because it didn't work, but because it was total bull****.

That sort of puff is the reason it's not worth interacting with people like that at all. You know they'll never accept you.

I'll teach anyone to garden who asks. The plants don't care about politics or how a SJW "identifies".

#26 ·
Part of the reason intersectional race/gender theory is doomed is because it's really an intellectual snipe hunt for the most pure "victim".

When Europeans were racially fairly similar, royal white men could do what they wanted to non-royal poor white men (and boy, did they!). Among poor white men, strong and vicious white men do what they want to physically weak and better-tempered white men. This is why some of us invented the rule-of-law. :rolleyes:

This goes for most groups regardless of age, sex, economics, skin tone, region, religion, or whatever. Women do it. Persians do it. Biracial technical mountain climbers who are vegan do it. The only thing that prevents it is character and law and only character prevents the law from being used against a group.

There is no pure victim.

#28 ·
Ksmedman,

I agree that privelage has no color in this country. I disagree, however, with your assertion that privelage, or success is exclusively a function of culture, or even work ethic. The evidence suggests very strongly that there are biological (as well as cultural) underpinnings to social stratification and the so-called achievement gap between whites and Asians and the other ethnic groups. Just as there are very real biological and physiological reasons why people of African descent dominate sports like basketball, football, and sprinting.

I understand that this is a politically incorrect notion, and that we should never allow this conversation to devolve into a discussion about justified discrimination, eugenics or racial superiority, but I feel like it's well past time we had an honest and open discussion about race in this country.

Let's stop ignoring the elephant in the room. It's clear that there are very real genetic and biological causes for the wildly divergent behaviors observed within the various ethnic groups of the world. Just as there are very real genetic factors underpinning the distinct temperaments of various breeds of domesticated dogs, cattle, sheep, etc.

The various racial groups evolved in relative isolation from one another for tens of thousands of years and hundreds of human generations. There is no question this resulted in divergent speciation. As a result, each race posesses distinguishing physical and behavioral traits.

Divergent speciation has been observed in countless species. For instance, Amur leopards have evolved in relative isolation from African leopards for tens of thousands of years. As a result, an Amur leopard acts differently (less aggressively, and tends to be more shy) than an African leopard even though they are both technically leopards (and would produce viable offspring if they were to mate).

You can place an African leopard in the geographical range of the Amur leopard, bit it's still going to act like an African leopard. You can take African Honey bees and place them in North America, but they are still going to behave like African honeybees (we've seen this happen..."killer bees" are nothing more than African or "Africanized" honey bees).

African species tend to be more physically aggressive than their counterparts in North America, Asia, and Europe. This is true of elephants, rhinos, honeybees, badgers, crocodilians, snakes, big cats, wild dogs, etc. Humans are no exception.

Sub Saharan Africa selected for humans with certain traits. Ice Age and temperate Europe selected for humans with other traits. This doesn't make one race of humans inherently better than the other. It simply makes us different. The problem comes when we start expecting Africans to act like Europeans or Asians. Tens of thousands of years of divergent evolution ensured that the different races DON'T act like one another.

We don't and wouldn't expect the majority of whites, Jews or Asians to compete with Africans on the football field, the basketball court, in a 100 meter sprint. As such, we shouldn't expect the majority of Africans to compete with Whites, Jews and East Asians in the realms of science, engineering, and academic achievement. We don't talk about "black privelage" in theNFL, the NBA, or any of the major professional sports that are dominated by people of African descent. There is no "affirmative action" ensuring that whites are proportionately represented in athletics.

We shouldn't expect blacks to be whites, or Asians, or anything other than what they are (and vice versa). We shouldn't expect black culture, or black communities to measure up to white culture in terms of intellectual, academic, or or economic excellence. That would be like expecting a Rottweiler to be as good at herding sheep as a border collie.

#33 ·
Ksmedman,

I agree that privelage has no color in this country. I disagree, however, with your assertion that privelage, or success is exclusively a function of culture, or even work ethic. The evidence suggests very strongly that there are biological (as well as cultural) underpinnings to social stratification and the so-called achievement gap between whites and Asians and the other ethnic groups. Just as there are very real biological and physiological reasons why people of African descent dominate sports like basketball, football, and sprinting.. [snipped for brevity].
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I've read "The Bell Curve," you can see many of those things being lived out every day in places like Africa, the inner city, the Muslim world, etc...

But in the US, I still think culture can trump those things. In both directions.

I know a couple black guys that, truth be told, are probably 85-90ish? IQ's. Just a guesstimate, but these are men that aren't pondering any deeper philosophical issues... BUT. They are hard working, and have a work ethic that drives them to do their tasks well. Granted, they're not doing really sophisticated stuff, but it's needed work and it brings value to their employer. As such, they are, in many ways, successful. Own modest homes, have good families, have a little left to enjoy themselves, etc... A good working class life. Nothing to be ashamed of.
It used to be more common that someone of mediocre intelligence could live comfortably if they just worked. (Perhaps the whole shift to dependence and blame is somewhat tied to the loss of manufacturing type jobs? That's another thread though).

Then there are the lily white intellectual snowflakes, who, though having much higher IQ's, have convinced themselves that their intellectual ability allows them to take a fictitious moral high ground RE social and economic issues. Hence all the SJW's, feminism, and the rise of Marxism.
Lot's of well educated communists out there. Lot's of barista's with Masters Degrees, too. They have the genetic ability to be successful, but adopt a cultural belief system that dooms them to marginalization.
And of course they blame everyone else for their lack of success...

But, back to your point, I'd say that most countries in Africa, or even Mexico, have no excuse for being the train wrecks that they are. Genetically they are a little to the left of European countries, but the bell curve still means there are people there that are capable of doing what needs to be done... but culturally they are more disposed to crime, graft, tribalism, and self interest.
Just the way I see it, but I understand your point about the genetic differences.

#29 ·
When I was a young man a common phrase was You should "Thank the lord you were born white and in America"

I would think the saying implies inherent white privilege. Things are changing but to deny white privilege (though diminishing) is simply in denial or, ignorant or simply not being intellectually honest.

#30 ·
I've never heard that one but it could be regional.

All ethnic/racial/culture groups can be viewed as being "privileged" when they are numerically dominant in an area. Ethnic Swiss are privileged as are ethnic Hutus in some regions. The Japanese are privileged within their own country (which they strive to keep largely Japanese). The Aztec empire was privileged in its time and place much to the chagrin of neighboring non-Aztecs.

We are in the midst of a very, very large experiment. From history we know that this kind of thing goes one of two ways outside of port cities: either all the populace concedes various religious/cultural/ethnic identities and reforms as a new creole culture which eventually becomes a new ethnic culture or each ethnic/cultural identity segregates socially and only interacts to serve the interests of commerce or government.

Creoles happen when all cultures involved stop identifying as X first. X may be on the list but it isn't the first item. Even then, it takes a long time for the new cultural identity to take hold and the old ones to become the subjects of humor or family lore.

We had a shot at this in the late 70s/early 80s but we wasted it. :(

#31 ·
=workquik;15890425]When I was a young man a common phrase was You should "Thank the lord you were born white and in America
WOW...I've never heard that before. Maybe in a Klan family

I would think the saying implies inherent white privilege.
I'm curious if anyone else has even heard of this before

Things are changing but to deny white privilege (though diminishing) is simply in denial or, ignorant or simply not being intellectually honest.
Well besides this "saying" of yours, do you have any real evidence?

Can you also address all the other so-called privileges; black privilege, rich privilege, born in a wealth family privilege, got lucky in the stock market privilege, Asian privilege, won the lottery privilege...that way we can get really silly.

Another question I have for you. Are the massive internal problems in the black community that have nothing to do with race, are they because of white people and the supposed privilege or because of the self-imposed cultural in the community?

#35 ·
I have white privilege. I grew up poor on a cattle farm.in Missouri.it was my privilege to know my father and have him teach me many skills.mechanics,welding,farming,fishing,hunting,work ethic,engineering,,fabrication,animal traing,heavy equipment operation, did I say work ethic.

I'm white and I'm privileged. and I'm proud of it.

I made it a point to teach my son all the things my dad taught me and a lot of things I learned along the way. my son is white and he knows a lot of ****. it will serve him well.

#39 ·
I personally am up to here with the "white privilege" B***S***. I , like GUNGATIM and HARMLESS DRUDGE,and many many others, grew up more than dirt poor. Lived on a 50-acre patch of broom sedge and scrub oak,intermingled with rocks. Father and mother separated, eventually divorced. No child support, no EBT, no support from anyone except an occasional delivery of home canned food, or cast off clothing, from the local country church. Lived 12 miles on a dirt road from nearest town (central Missouri Ozarks), at age 14 was share cropping to other farmers so they would cut the hay we needed to feed our two cows for the winter, or plow our garden so we could plant some veggies to eat. Along with my mom and 5 younger sisters, hoed, weeded, watered that patch religiously, it was for survival. During grade school years, walked 3 miles to a 2-room school, carried a biscuit and fatback, or if lucky peanut butter, for lunch. Drank well water. We had no electricity, no natural gas, no telephone, no running water. Drew water from a 200 foot deep drilled well. I hated wash day. Chopped wood with an axe, no saw, for cooking and heating. Took baths in a galvanized wash tub in back yard, after heating water in a huge cast iron kettle over an open fire. Mom made her own soap from wood ash and pig fat, her poor hands were bleeding after she washed clothes for 6 people.Hung on a line to dry.She used a wash board and galvanized tub. WE were effectively living like 1800s. When I started to High School, wore ragged and cast off clothes, kids jeered at the clothes they had thrown away and now me wearing them. Wore a suit borrowed from an uncle to graduate in. Humped hay bales from dawn till dark, for 1 penny a bale, off the ground onto truck, off truck into barn. A couple of times I made $10.00, was 14-15 years old, 125 lbs, 508. Was hungry more than once, saw my mother kill her last bantam hen for chicken soup, she would not eat any because she said she was not hungry (try feeding 5 hungry kids on a chicken that size). I joined the Army at age 18 and never looked back (sent my mom money, of course, from my $67.00 a month(Pvt E1 pay). I retired as a MSG E8, E9 promotable (wife had cancer, needed to get out to avoid a short tour). AND DAMN PROUD OF IT. VIETNAM VET TOO.
These people with their free rent, EBT, high-dollar shoes, Obama phones, free school lunches, $1500 a child from Uncle Sugar (all out of my taxes) and crying White Privilege really really rub the wrong way. P*** on them .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.