Internet access via phone option? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Default Internet access via phone option?

Advertise Here

I am looking for ideas / suggestions...

We have wire to the house, but will not run a 2,400 (k, not MB or GB!) modem, and home phone was WAY more expensive than adding in a 'home' wireless line to the wife's cell plan. No line of sight for microwave (even though there is a tower 1 mile away, it would be a 300' tower OR 1/2 mile of fiber to have access). Fiber ends 3 miles away, but AT&T has NO plans to extend this way...

For years we used a satellite dish. A couple years ago a cell tower went up line of light from just above the roof; we put up an antenna, with an amp. and 2 indoor antenna's and now cell phones work in the house (all bands of cell, not just Verizons).

Wife's phone is Verizon, home phone is via "box" now replaced with a Verizon MiFi, with either-net cable to the home Netgear router (both switch ports and wireless) which works better than the satellite AND was cheaper, but there is a 15GB cap then SLOWS down. I work from home, and usually get about 20 days of high speed before SLOW. This last month, the granddaughter was visiting, talked the wife into watching Barbie movies with her... we were down to slow just 3 days into the month !

I read a post earlier today here about "Red Pocket".

Verizion's suggestion is to buy another MiFi ($100/mo) and just switch over when we hit slow.

I have a AT&T military grade flip phone that is on a WAY too expensive plan and need to change; could just get a new military grade flip on Verizon ($30 or less)(they also suggest a smart phone and use that for a hot spot - $60 month). I have an iPhone (now older) that I did not care for, no one's smart phone get's reception around the home / farm, I like SMALL and easy to keep in a SMALL belt pouch, and the flip phone mostly works around here. I am often working the farm alone, NICE to have a way to call out in an emergency.

Any ideas / suggestions ?

Thanks,

r.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 11:45 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,671 Times in 14,102 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSWMissouri View Post
... Fiber ends 3 miles away, but AT&T has NO plans to extend this way...
Our fiber ends 6 miles away, our local landline company offers 'dsl' using copper wire from the end of the fiber into our town. We get 2Mbps/0.3

Quote:
... Verizion's suggestion is to buy another MiFi ($100/mo) and just switch over when we hit slow.
Sounds like a good idea.
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Do you get tmobile in your area? They offer 55gb of high speed before potential slow down during peak hours. I consistently run 75-85gb a month and rarely see a slow down.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,046 Posts

I’ve had AT&T’s unlimited cellular plan (supposedly slows after 22 gigs) but I haven’t noticed latency for several years now. We’ve had great success after dumping windows, many times the cause of “slow”. We switched to Apple devices and we use probably 500 gigs per month, lots of videos and all 4 of us on line at one time, and my son is a gamer. 50mbps up/down.

My buddy drives a $1k/month new pickup, and they go out to eat every other nite and travel a lot. He says $100 internet, are you nuts? Ha ha.

Not the cheapest plan, but as one of our biggest sources of entertainment, it’s worth it.