New Computer Worm - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,774 Times in 7,039 Posts
Default New Computer Worm

Advertise Here

For those that are running older versions of windows and no longer get MS updates or those with later versions that don't do automatic updates, you should probably look for a patch..

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/devas...151514943.html
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,924 Times in 18,480 Posts

I like the comments.

If the NSA recommends a patch, it is probably to improve their spying access.

Their concern for our privacy and security online is hilarious.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,178 Times in 4,309 Posts

I have a solution. Turn OFF *ALL* remote access, and make SYSTEM BACKUPS. This has worked for me for YEARS.

In my OBJECTIVE opinion, they're just trying to scare people off of Win7.

I'm not buying it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:

Old 06-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Jr. Member; Sr. Body

Thanked 2,537 Times in 378 Posts
Default For Windows XP and Server 2003 users

Just read about this today, BlueKeep Windows exploit: https://www.extremetech.com/internet...m_medium=title

"According to the NSA advisory, millions of machines are potentially vulnerable. These are mostly XP and Server 2003 boxes running essential functions in businesses and industrial facilities where newer versions of Windows simply won’t work." If I remember correctly, the DoD is still using some XP machines, but is actively phasing them out due to the cost of paying for extended support.

Direct link to Microsoft support for the patch: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-cve-2019-0708
The Following User Says Thank You to old_code For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 38,478 Times in 9,278 Posts

I just had to replace the hard drive in my computer (windows 7)

My computer guy didn't say the exact cause but the assumption was a virus

Back up was no good, whatever it was absorbed all the memory and there was none left

I've kinda had hell getting this one set up like the old one

My old one would not let ads through on this site, some how my active X was set up a certain way that prevented them

I also had to set this site up in capability view just to get spell check when I post

Other sites had long running scripts so I had to go in and disable script debugging
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,074 Times in 565 Posts

Replace? Why? (unless it was hdd -> ssd upgrade also)
Just wiping the old drive would be enough and then OS reinstall.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 16,026 Times in 5,429 Posts

For future reference: There are modules and software that will "clone" one drive to another. (I have to admit that folks on SB clued me in to this.) Once you get your machine set up the way you want, clone it to 2 or 3 spare drives. (Two is one, one is none.) Drives for these older machines are pretty cheap now. 180 GB is laughed at, but it's three times what I'll ever use.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Last time I did that, with re-installing all the applications, it took me about four hours all told.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 AM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,183 Times in 473 Posts

Yeah I have suspicions that instead of coming from n korea, microsux, mcafee, norton and others create these. Microsoft is fixing to stop releasing patches for win 7, and I REFUSE to use win 10. I despise it. Linux, here I come!
BTW, here is also a link to the patch:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....aspx?q=4490628
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 04:32 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Last time I did that, with re-installing all the applications, it took me about four hours all told.
Wiping the hard drive takes less time than physically replacing it with a new one.

I mean erasing it empty that effectively kills all the nasty stuff, not secure erasing that overwrites content several times to prevent anyone getting hands on them afterwards.

My point mostly being that there is no so bad virus in the world that would require replacing the hard drive, so if that was the excuse to charge extra he was cheated. Replacing the drive with better or larger capacity is a different thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 38,478 Times in 9,278 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Wiping the hard drive takes less time than physically replacing it with a new one.

I mean erasing it empty that effectively kills all the nasty stuff, not secure erasing that overwrites content several times to prevent anyone getting hands on them afterwards.

My point mostly being that there is no so bad virus in the world that would require replacing the hard drive, so if that was the excuse to charge extra he was cheated. Replacing the drive with better or larger capacity is a different thing.
When I took it in, the assumption was a virus

My wife picked it up, all she told me was he put in a new hard drive the old one couldn't be repaired

My wife picks up computers often and resells them, he does the repair work, we've been using this guy for many years so I trust him

The was no "extra" charge, he only charged me $50, I certainly don't feel cheated because now it works!

I've had my eyes on a Dell, which she picked up, whenever it's ready, I'll try it out

The only reason I like this one so much is that its extremely fast. It's not like I've spent hours on it trying to reconfigure it but when your challenged like me.....well its a challenge!

I would like to figure out how the old one would keep me from seeing ads on here though.....it didn't have an ad blocker but it was something in the configuration that I did from one of the members in here told me to do many years ago, I can't seem to find the post or remember who the member was....
Old 06-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 12,997 Times in 2,728 Posts

A lot of people never noticed it but in November of 2017 one of Microsoft's updates crippled automatic updates for most Windows 7 PCs. It did that to 3 out of 4 of my Windows 7 PCs.

There is a manual patch that Microsoft claims fixes the problem, but it doesn't. If you try to launch a manual update and either it never downloads the update or you get an error message, that PC has the problem. Turn off Automatic Updates and launch the updates manually to get around the problem. It will not update with Automatic Updates turned on. I do the updates manually every time I do a backup.

Control Panel > Windows Update

If that screen shows the PC has not done any updates since 2017, the PC has the problem.

Microsoft still does updates for Windows XP, but only for critical issues. I have one XP PC that runs software not compatible with Win 7 or Win 10. I still periodically get updates. I suspect there will be a patch for this problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

They are rare, but there are viruses that can survive not only formatting a drive but replacing it. They work by infecting the firmware of other components in the computer and automatically reload themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost792 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,178 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
I just had to replace the hard drive in my computer (windows 7)

My computer guy didn't say the exact cause but the assumption was a virus

Back up was no good, whatever it was absorbed all the memory and there was none left

I've kinda had hell getting this one set up like the old one

My old one would not let ads through on this site, some how my active X was set up a certain way that prevented them

I also had to set this site up in capability view just to get spell check when I post

Other sites had long running scripts so I had to go in and disable script debugging
Usually, no explanation means, "Sell more of our overstocked Hard drives.

They NEED to give you a reason EVERY time. I think you were had.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I would like to figure out how the old one would keep me from seeing ads on here though.....it didn't have an ad blocker but it was something in the configuration that I did from one of the members in here told me to do many years ago, I can't seem to find the post or remember who the member was....
My guess is that the HOSTS file was edited to "block" the domains of ad servers. You'd get the same results, with less chance of causing problems for your system by using uBlock Origin as your adblocker.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:

HUH? I can swap hard drives in my DELL D630s in about 15 seconds. (I cheat - I only use one retainer screw.)

Just re-formatting a 180 gig drive takes several minutes, and then you have to reload everything, which takes hours, IF you still have the original software media. Forever if you don't.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,774 Times in 7,039 Posts

For those that are running older versions of windows, like 7, you ought to check out PCMatic. If I recall correctly they took on the task of doing critical updates for OS's that MS no longer supports.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Hunter

Quote:
When I took it in, the assumption was a virus

My wife picked it up, all she told me was he put in a new hard drive the old one couldn't be repaired

My wife picks up computers often and resells them, he does the repair work, we've been using this guy for many years so I trust him

The was no "extra" charge, he only charged me $50, I certainly don't feel cheated because now it works!
That sounds better.

Too often guy who does the repair just says that the lcd liquid crystals in the memory chips are leaking and computer needs 300$ worth of new ram... That's why "it had a virus, so it had to be replaced" sounded pretty bad in the beginning.

Quote:
HUH? I can swap hard drives in my DELL D630s in about 15 seconds. (I cheat - I only use one retainer screw.)

Just re-formatting a 180 gig drive takes several minutes, and then you have to reload everything, which takes hours, IF you still have the original software media. Forever if you don't.
That's 12-13 years old now, pretty much like a model T ford compared to computers today. A modern laptop needs few screws and some plastic prying tools and guitar picks to open up. In 15 seconds I haven't even gotten my tools out of my bag yet

Just basic wipe: start DBAN like you normally would but after letting it run about 5 or so seconds just shut it down. By that time it has wiped the boot sector and directory structure off the drive. That will be enough, as the computer would stay on your possession - if it would be given to someone else, then a full wipe would be good.

After that procedure is same as swapping drives: reinstall OS. I prefer usb sticks since most of my computers don't have dvd-drives anymore
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Target Shooter

Duplicate post.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
For future reference: There are modules and software that will "clone" one drive to another. (I have to admit that folks on SB clued me in to this.) Once you get your machine set up the way you want, clone it to 2 or 3 spare drives. (Two is one, one is none.) Drives for these older machines are pretty cheap now. 180 GB is laughed at, but it's three times what I'll ever use.
Acronis Migrate Easy is great for cloning anything up through XP. I keep a pair of hard drives in my machine and about every other month I'll connect up the oldest one and clone the current drive. Don't know if there's anything that's as idiot-proof for Win7.