SCAM Calls - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm sick of all the annoying calls Woodsman 16 General Discussion 75 12-23-2018 01:00 PM
My brother calls me Grizzlyette Adams like it's a bad thing... GrizzlyetteAdams New Member Introduction 59 12-04-2018 04:29 PM
Gaming headphones for multi-use (gaming, music, phone calls, etc.)? zuren The Tech Zone 6 08-20-2018 06:50 PM
Best Turkey calls? survivalchick Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 04-18-2018 09:09 AM
What Kind of Person Calls a Mass Shooting a Hoax? RKW Controversial News and Alternative Politics 92 11-27-2017 11:54 AM

Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,774 Times in 7,039 Posts
Default SCAM Calls

Advertise Here

I caught something of interest on the news this afternoon about SCAM calls, the majority of which come from overseas. Apparently you can call your phone carrier and ask them to disable overseas calls for your phone, both in coming and outgoing. That should put a stop to virtually all scam calls. You'll still have to watch out for domestic scammers. I plan on checking it out and doing it myself. You might want to investigate yourself..

Just a PSA..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,662 Posts

Would that work if they spoof a number to make it look like a local number?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
Would that work if they spoof a number to make it look like a local number?
I'm not a 100% sure, but they are spoofing a number. The actual call is from overseas so I think it would be blocked. Honestly, I don't know why/how carriers allow spoofing to begin with. I can't think of a legitimate reason to allow it..

Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,662 Posts

Maybe the carriers don't allow it as much as they can't prevent it.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Survivor

Well, apparently spoofing is both legal and illegal. From what I read the phone company "could" stop it as it relates to a special connection with the phone company. But, it appears that it has nothing to do with the call origin. It's only about what's displayed on your phone. So, the answer to your earlier question looks to be yes, it would stop the overseas scammers calls who are spoofing.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-and-caller-id

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,697 Posts

The trend is to lease numbers in your state or city and route calls from overseas to those blocks of numbers. Your Telco revenue assurance and BI people know these are leased numbers but can’t always determine if they are being used by legit national enterprises or scammers.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Survivor

I'm not sure, but I'd hope the carrier can tell that the block number is being used by an overseas location. Maybe an overseas block might work. Don't know, but I plan on trying. All it takes a a call..
Old 05-28-2019, 01:54 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
I'm not sure, but I'd hope the carrier can tell that the block number is being used by an overseas location. Maybe an overseas block might work. Don't know, but I plan on trying. All it takes a a call..
If it’s not margin negative the Telco doesn’t really care until they have received a significant amount of complaints then they might flag up a number or block of numbers and prevent the calls connecting.
It’s not always possible to detect call origination and a whole host of technical solutions and inter-telco agreements have attempted to tackle this.
Leased number blocks can be dynamically assigned and can also be used by domestic legit parties so Telcos are often very hesitant to terminate.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
I caught something of interest on the news this afternoon about SCAM calls, the majority of which come from overseas. Apparently you can call your phone carrier and ask them to disable overseas calls for your phone, both in coming and outgoing. That should put a stop to virtually all scam calls. You'll still have to watch out for domestic scammers. I plan on checking it out and doing it myself. You might want to investigate yourself..

Just a PSA..
Thanks for sharing this information. I didn't think about asking this to my carrier. This might be the only way we can avoid getting calls from all those scam calls. Until today, I always ignore calls if I'm not familiar with the numbers. Sometimes I Google up the numbers or check them to some online complain board websites like http://whycall.me and straightly block them. I will try to ask about this to my carrier tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Survivor

I probably get a half dozen potential scam calls a week. My new phone warns me. I still don't answer if I don't recognize the number though..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,299 Posts

Blocking overseas outbound calls may not be a good idea. MANY of the support Teams for software, equipment, etc are now overseas. I had an issue recently with software (HughesNet or AT&T? - I can't remember) the lady I spoke with was in the Philippines. She was very knowledgeable, by the way.

WW

shoot straight
Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 12,997 Times in 2,728 Posts

Add everyone you know to the address book on your phone and don't answer it for anyone else. If it's important, they will leave a message.

An iPhone allows you to add lots of phone numbers to an address book listing. You can block the entire list.