Survivalist Forum banner

Goulash

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  whisperingpines 
#1 ·
I've never had Hungarian Goulash. Growing up, one of the recipes in my mothers rotation was American Chop Suey, which many refer to as goulash, or American Goulash. It was a mixture of elbow macaroni,ground beef, onions, peppers, and a tomato sauce. Tasty, yet vastly dissimilar to what I have read of the goulash of your land.

#13 ·
Gotta have pepper.:thumb:

Man that looks tasty.

I can translate one for you.

Original Hungarian goulash recipe

1 kg beef meet
1 kg potato
15 dkg onion
5 dkg red paprika powder
some salt
1,6-2 l water

Chop the onion to little pieces and put it in the steel pot. Clean the meat and cut it to 1x1 inch pieces. Put the meat pieces on the onion. Add water, start to cook it. If the water is boiling, add salt and half of the paprika powder. Don't remove the foam. Cook it, until the meat gets soft. Then add the sliced potato. Cook it another 20 mins. Couple minutes before it's done add the other half of the paprika powder.

I like it with cold sour cream and some fresh bread.

There are like 20 more Hungarian goulash recipes. :)
Sounds good too. Thanks.:thumb:

It´s not bad Steve, but where is the carrot and turnip? They come always in goulash in my region. In yours?
Do you have a recipe Koxi? I always put carrots in my soups and stews, and I love turnips.

Wow Steve, I love that cook pot!:thumb:
And all the goulash input.:)
That is an awesome pot.

#10 ·
I can translate one for you.

Original Hungarian goulash recipe

1 kg beef meet
1 kg potato
15 dkg onion
5 dkg red paprika powder
some salt
1,6-2 l water

Chop the onion to little pieces and put it in the steel pot. Clean the meat and cut it to 1x1 inch pieces. Put the meat pieces on the onion. Add water, start to cook it. If the water is boiling, add salt and half of the paprika powder. Don't remove the foam. Cook it, until the meat gets soft. Then add the sliced potato. Cook it another 20 mins. Couple minutes before it's done add the other half of the paprika powder.

I like it with cold sour cream and some fresh bread.

There are like 20 more Hungarian goulash recipes. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.