Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-19-2020, 11:14 PM

Default Everybody likes the 9mm, not too many people like the 10mm

Advertise Here

The 9mm is the most popular caliber and with this current Coronavirus crisis going on its sold out in just about all gun shops, or at least the gun shops I've been to and I've been to many in the last few days. This isn't a problem for me since I've got buckets full of 9mm ammo that I had before the crisis but what I don't get is why more people don't like the big brother of the 9mm, the 10mm. The 10mm is one of my favorite calibers, and while I do think the 9mm is a decent caliber, I like the 10mm much better.

Anyway, there are some advantages to having a not so popular caliber as one of my favorite calibers. For one thing, they didn't completely disappear off the shelves like the 9mm did in this current crisis so I was able to buy some. While the 10mm does have a greater recoil and might be harder to control than the 9mm, it does have much greater power and is more likely to stop a bad guy.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MA Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:37 AM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,471 Times in 2,118 Posts

10mm is fairly popular in Alaska, for bear problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,600 Times in 786 Posts

I just picked up my first 10mm recently, a Tanfoglio Witness steel frame. Luckily I managed to purchase a case of ammo just before the panic buying wiped out everything. Hope to get to the range with it soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 01:22 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,454 Times in 439 Posts

I love my 1006. Always on the lookout for a nice 1066. I may convert my 4014 to 10mm, as well.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,201 Posts

I can’t wait to get my xdm 10mm back from Springfield. 50 rounds and the frame cracked. Been at Springfield for 3 weeks and haven’t heard anything new.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:02 PM
covfefe

Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,239 Posts

Purchased my 1st one in 1992 (IIRC)
Been a fan since.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 11,076 Times in 4,204 Posts

The only thing on the handgun ammo shelf at the local Academy today was some 32 acp and 45 Colt.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I canít wait to get my xdm 10mm back from Springfield. 50 rounds and the frame cracked. Been at Springfield for 3 weeks and havenít heard anything new.
50 rounds killed it?

Don't think I could ever trust a firearm that crapped the bed that fast with factory ammo...

As far as this thread is concerned - I carry a 9mm Beretta when I want something that holds a good number of rounds otherwise I will take a 1911 in 45ACP any day of the week over it.

If it ever gets to the zombie apocalypse point I am carrying my 460 Rowland 1911.
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 AM
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,023 Posts

Loved every 10mm I've shot. I don't like the price or the cost of ammo. I can get any 9mm for about 25% less and the ammo for less than $.20 a round
Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,367 Times in 10,597 Posts

I have a Dillion 550b set up for loading 40 cal. Loading a 180g LFN costs me 12c each.
Loading for my new 10mm requires resetting the die position and dialing in another 2g of powder.
So as long as I can recover my brass, shooting a 10 is all good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
50 rounds killed it?

Don't think I could ever trust a firearm that crapped the bed that fast with factory ammo...

As far as this thread is concerned - I carry a 9mm Beretta when I want something that holds a good number of rounds otherwise I will take a 1911 in 45ACP any day of the week over it.

If it ever gets to the zombie apocalypse point I am carrying my 460 Rowland 1911.
Springfield stated it was an over pressurized round and it needed a new frame and extractor. $77 total. Told me to go after hornady to get them to pay for it. I asked Springfield how I was going to prove it was their ammo that was the issue and they couldnít give an answer. Just a run around. I have 3 xdmís and a xds and they are all good guns. I just need to roll my own 10mm and I will have the confidence to use it for anything.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Springfield stated it was an over pressurized round and it needed a new frame and extractor. $77 total. Told me to go after hornady to get them to pay for it. I asked Springfield how I was going to prove it was their ammo that was the issue and they couldnít give an answer. Just a run around. I have 3 xdmís and a xds and they are all good guns. I just need to roll my own 10mm and I will have the confidence to use it for anything.
They couldn't give you an answer because that ammo (likely) did not cause your problems.

Unless you are shooting full power Underwood 10mm or something of that sort most store bought 10mm ammo is loaded on the weak side of things and it STILL broke your gun...

Not confidence inspiring in my opinion.

You shooting reloads will most definitely cause them to refuse to warranty any future problems with that firearm.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
They couldn't give you an answer because that ammo (likely) did not cause your problems.

Unless you are shooting full power Underwood 10mm or something of that sort most store bought 10mm ammo is loaded on the weak side of things and it STILL broke your gun...

Not confidence inspiring in my opinion.

You shooting reloads will most definitely cause them to refuse to warranty any future problems with that firearm.
They already refused to provide warranty work so why would it matter?
Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Ordinary Average Guy

Thanked 1,287 Times in 566 Posts

Don't own one, never fired one, probably won't go out and buy one. I have plenty of cartridges to fit what arms I have, sell outs don't bother me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Rex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,685 Times in 7,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Don't own one, never fired one, probably won't go out and buy one. I have plenty of cartridges to fit what arms I have, sell outs don't bother me.
Thatís the key. Whatever you have, if you depend on running to the store to get some ammo in an emergency....you havenít been prepping.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,247 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Hmmm. This says a lot about thier customer service.

We were using some cheap russian .380 ammo one time. My wife had a squib load and did not realize it until she told me something was wrong after the next round. Sure was wrong, the barrel burst and blew the whole gun apart. Only one little nick on her thumb, thankfully.

That was a Ruger LCP. I never thought about it but the guy at my LGS said to call Ruger. I did. I told them just what happened. They said, mail, it in abd we will take a look at it and asked to send in a box top from the ammo. I got an email from them later asking what gun shop I would like the replacement sent to since it was beyond repair and they sent a new gun. Paperwork just said overpressure round, replacement. I thought that was pretty impressive. Just as good as a Hi Point warranty...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Prepared

The Springfield story surprises me given that most reputable gun manufacturers know that shooters are a close group who chat a lot and manufacturers cannot deal with bad PR.

I've had two issues with guns that I've had. One was, what I'm guessing, a burr on the feed ramp on my AR-10 from RRA. It was gouging the bullet itself when loading. Sent it in, they sent me a new gun no questions asked. The second, was issues with my Ruger SR556. I was shooting reloads and it didn't like them (although two other AR's at the range were eating the stuff up with no problem. Sent that gun in and they more or less said, "don't use reloads" but sent me another set of the Troy battle sights and another soft care. Both cases were outstanding customer service.

I'd really push back on Springfield. Let them know you intend to share your story on a couple of popular firearm forums if they don't address this at their cost and see what they say. Otherwise, I wouldn't give them a penny more business. Factory ammo is manufactured to very specific tolerances and I find it damn near impossible the load was over-pressurized. That's a huge potential liability to ammo makers so they are very careful about making sure their product is spot on.

Just hearing your story now will keep me away from them as I was considering a hellcat as a CCW.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,685 Times in 7,967 Posts

I have an older Springfield XD subcompact, and a first gen 15-22. Solid and reliable.

Listening to the reports of recalls, bad service and reported issues, I canít think of a good reason to buy any of their newer products.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Hunter

Quote:
They already refused to provide warranty work so why would it matter?
It will matter if you get another crappy frame and it breaks as well.

If I was in your shoes I would have for sure saved my brass (the brass from the ammo that was being fired when the gun broke) and I would be taking them to court and making the matter a really BIG pain in their butt.

The spent brass is all the evidence you need that overpressure was NOT the issue that caused the problem.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I have an older Springfield XD subcompact, and a first gen 15-22. Solid and reliable.

Listening to the reports of recalls, bad service and reported issues, I canít think of a good reason to buy any of their newer products.
Similar here. Have an older Springfield 1911 (20+ years old) that I really love but no freaking way that I would buy anything from them currently.