Survivalist Forum banner

What are you currently reading ?

54K views 293 replies 154 participants last post by  duckwalker 
#1 ·
What book is on your desk/ table/bed/ bag right now ? Rate it one to 5.. 5 being great... could be a mag / journal / or book..

I am reading 2 right now..
The life changing magic of tidying up.. Marie Kondo.. 5 stars
The complete Tightwad Gazette.. Amy Dacyczyn 5 stars:thumb:

#31 ·
I am reading One Second After right now. I read it several years ago and have forgotten all the details but the main story is in my memory. I also ordered Lights Out when I picked up the other book. Never read that one.

And I have my endless stack of Backwoodsman magazines I reread. I love those.:thumb:

#32 ·
Mark Tufo's zombie/werewolf/demon series. The latest two just came out and I snagged 'em. Listened to Chris Fox before that, and B.V. Larson's Undying Mercenaries series along side William Forstchen's new book, 48 Hours. That one made me go look up underground complexes in my area. Might actually _give_ me a complex.... Oh, and the requisite trashy romance, lol - those are usually apocalyptic too...

#37 ·
Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia, I give it a 5 and there are many more in the series. Its a fun read.

Found a series on Amazon called The Tide - Anthony Melchiorri, I give it a 5 also.

I read for pleasure and really enjoy my Kindle way more than I thought I would. If you are on Amazon prime you can download a lot of book for free. It's my cheap addiction.

#41 ·
I'm reading Gulag Archipelago, the abridged version. It's a damn good book about how a people can let something terrible happen to their society. The Russian revolution, Lenin, the imprisonment and execution of millions of people.

Also, listening to Dantes Inferno. A massive amount of symbolism, human experience, and grotesque description of the levels of hell. I'd recommend listening to it unless you are good and reading poetry. And recommend Hollender's version because it's easy on the modern ear.

#62 ·
I'm reading Gulag Archipelago, the abridged version. It's a damn good book about how a people can let something terrible happen to their society. The Russian revolution, Lenin, the imprisonment and execution of millions of people.
Before it was published in English, my Russian teacher, who had escaped and fled USSR, had me translate it into English... damn fine textbook and even more awesome teacher :) :) :)

#63 ·
Lots of available copies online. B&N has it for $3.69 https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/la...MI_8ikiPD-4QIVB57ACh2F9g-PEAQYBSABEgIu1PD_BwE

Sounds like you have a keepsake/heirloom... find a good museum curator or librarian or archivist that is also a preservationist/conservationist and see what can be done to restore and protect your book :). Note that some are definitely better than others... contact a rare book department in an academic library or well regarded museum for referrals...

#47 ·
I have just finished "MARIE'S STORY" by Colleen Bixler. It's a true story about Marie's journey with her husband as he goes through Alzheimer's. It was particularly interesting to me because my husband has Alzheimer's and much of the story is just what we are going through.
I have also recently read "Meet Me Where I am" by Mary Ann Drummond. This is an excellent book to help you deal with anyone with Alzheimer's. Both are on kindle.
To wind down, I've been reading "Trace of Survival, Trilogy" and "The Trace, 23rd Century".
For some more light reading, I've just finished "Flotsam and Jetsam" by Michael Leptuch. It's a bit of a giggle.
I often have several books on the go, depending on my mood.

#49 · (Edited)
The Periodic Table
Survival in Auschwitz
The Reawakening

All by Primo Levi

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/28/the-art-of-witness

In the fall of 1943, Levi and his friends formed a band of anti-Fascist partisans. It was an amateurish group, poorly equipped and ill trained, and Italian Fascist soldiers captured part of his unit in the early hours of December 13th. Levi had an obviously false identity card, which he ate (“The photograph was particularly revolting”). But the action availed him little: the interrogating officer told him that if he was a partisan he would be immediately shot; if he was a Jew he would be sent to a holding camp near Carpi. Levi held out for a while, and then chose to confess his Jewishness, “in part out of weariness, in part also out of an irrational point of pride.” He was sent to a detention camp at Fòssoli, near Modena, where conditions were tolerable: there were P.O.W.s and political prisoners of different nationalities, there was mail delivery, and there was no forced labor. But in the middle of February, 1944, the S.S. took over the running of the camp and announced that all the Jews would be leaving: they were told to prepare for two weeks of travel. A train of twelve closed freight cars left on the evening of February 22nd, packed with six hundred and fifty people. Upon their arrival at Auschwitz, more than five hundred were selected for death; the others, ninety-six men and twenty-nine women, entered the Lager (Levi always preferred the German word for prison). At Auschwitz, Levi was imprisoned in a work camp that was supposed to produce a rubber called Buna, though none was actually manufactured. He spent almost a year as a prisoner, and then almost nine months returning home. “Of six hundred and fifty,” he wrote in “The Truce,” “three of us were returning.” Those are the facts, the abominable and precious facts.

#58 ·
Castle Builders. By Malcolm Hislop. It’s about castle design and construction in the Middle Ages. Lots of good information and loads of photos. The only negative thing I could say about this book is, that there isn’t very much information on footings and foundations. Otherwise, it’s excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.