Survivalist Forum banner

What is your primary concern for preparing?

• Pandemic

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Climate/Natural Disasters

Votes: 28 17.8%
  • Civil War

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • World War III

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Islamic Terrorism

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Economic Collapse

Votes: 66 42.0%
  • Extreme Solar Activity

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • New World Order

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Meteors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 19.1%

What is your primary concern for preparing?

11K views 49 replies 47 participants last post by  OhioMan 
#1 ·
Many of these threats could be cause and effect of each other, and preparing for any one of them may help to ease the pain of the rest. If you had to pick one, though, which would you pick as your call to arms? What specifically, in your opinion, should people be paying more attention to if they want to survive the future?

Pandemic
Climate/Natural Disasters
Civil War
World War III
Islamic Terrorism
Economic Collapse
Extreme Solar Activity
New World Order
Meteors
Other

:eek:

#31 ·
I think it will be a currency collapse. Somewhere between 25 and 28T of national debt. The Left was trying to hasten this when they wanted Trump to break with the A-Rabs over the Kashogi murder. They were hoping to cause the demise of the petro dollar.

How will Americans cope with something like Venezuela's 12,000% inflation??

#38 ·
being specialized in one area is just as dangerous as not being prepared at all.
your preps should actually cover most of these beyond some specialized tools like a geiger counter as an example....i'm prepping with a long term total collapse in mind, i don't really care how or why it happens, i don't pretend to have a crystal ball and trying to base my preps on what amounts to fortune telling seems silly....

#40 ·
For the most part ... I prepare for day to day needs. You never know when the power may go out or your truck engine fails. I also prepare for longer term situations like natural disasters or economic collapse.

Reactions: Palma
#41 ·
I believe it will be a combination of things that will affect us.
Natural Disasters that affect my way of life, (fire, flood, tornado, earthquake).
the national debit getting to high do to all the government free stuff being given away will cause a crash in the economy so I am paying off my entire debit.
Then we have to look at our own government trying to change the way we think, what we do and the way we live our lives and our beliefs. This will bring chaos and civil unrest to the people of our country, which might lead to a civil war.
And the last might be low but can happen at any time is Terrorism either foreign or domestic attacks that could bring down out power grid, communications, computer viruses that could affect our daily lives and the way we live.
This is why I prep for myself and my family.

#42 ·
My main concern if there is a widespread collapse within my lifetime is lack of health and medical services. If these services are impacted on to a major degree then you can forget about hoards of raiders or whatever your worst nightmare is, an infection will likely kill you in the first few years.

A few years ago I had a simple knuckle scrape get infected and it didn’t look bad, but it allowed bacteria to travel through my lymph system and had I not gone to the doctor when I did (the point at which I awoke to not being able to use my arm), he said I would have been dead in 4-5 days. With antibiotics the infection cleared up in a few days and life went on as normal.

If you look at mortality rates before the invention of penicillin, it’s a scary thought to think we could go back to that, or even worse because most people have no clue how to care for wounds beyond a bandaid and a trip to the doctor.

#43 ·
That's a great point.

The flipside of the coin, though, is that plenty of times an injury like this doesn't lead to anything serious.

I've been around for a while, and had tons of wounds, burns, etc., left a great portion of them totally untreated, and never had anything serious happen with any of them. Also, think how seldom you've heard of another person you know having a serious problem with a cut, burn, splinter, etc.

Preppers are fond of saying things like what you've said above. And you're right that we'll have problems without antibiotics, and with a lot of medical treatments unavailable. But as far as minor injuries that could lead to infection, maybe we're leaps and bounds ahead of people from centuries past simply by having the germ theory of disease, and can avoid almost all problems like you experienced, just by promptly cleaning, disinfecting, and bandaging the wound-- even without antibiotics.

When medical disinfectants are no longer available, they might still be improvised from beverage alcohol or maybe mouthwash, or alcohol may be homemade.

We sometimes sound as if we think losing a lot of modern tech will destroy humanity. But just think, humanity made it this far, without having antibiotics and most of the rest of of our remedies, through most of human pre-history and history. And that's even though humans used to live much more unsanitary and rough-and-tumble lives.

The number of men and women who lived before antibiotics, but who never were killed off or suffered an amputation due to a cut or scrape must be very, very many. And as I've said, their lives were more unsanitary, a lot closer to agriculture and to the land, etc. And most of the history of humanity was before the germ theory of disease.

Covering wounds, pouring wine or urine on them, and other treatments that are valid for helping to prevent infection existed before the germ theory of disease, though.

#45 ·
Our bodies are far different than our forefathers, we tend to be weaker more dependent on modern medicine. I see it every day.
Our food has less of the vitamins and minerals, the earth is deteriorating every day.
Growing one's own food is a necessity, not an option.
As for medicines I use COLLOIDAL SILVER I make at home .
The earth is not getting better, neither are the people on it. Except a few.
There are far too many issues to focus on, that can occur.
The perspective of expecting the worst and hoping for the best is about the most practical way to prep.
I like to think that I live to help others so that the resources I have saved go to preserving their life till they have made things right with God, however long that takes.

#49 ·
The government is too incompetent to "enslave" us all as some people imagine. A soft economic collapse has and can happen, so financial preparedness is good for that. But the big thing in my area is blizzards. So food, firewood, water purification and extra building materials for emergencies are my priority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.