If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? - Page 17 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items shawn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 730 07-29-2020 01:59 AM
My long term wilderness survival pack Voodoo8648 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 35 02-20-2019 11:34 PM
GOOD/Wilderness Survival Pack RichardHenryLee Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 07-29-2015 11:43 AM
Solo wilderness survival pack - 10% off Delta Packs For Sale 0 03-24-2015 10:56 AM
What would be a good pack for Wilderness survival ? TheSurvivalman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 47 06-26-2013 11:18 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 12:25 PM

Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,448 Times in 1,170 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post
Bottle of Chivas, Rachel Welch and some lube.

Sorry to be so crude.
Yeah you will need some lube then because isn't she 79 years old?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,468 Times in 4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
i know bushcraft folks love ferro rods and they are awesome but sometimes you just need a flame, and frankly lighters are way more reliable. but a ferro rod is small enough there's no reason to go without that either unless we're limiting ourselves to 3 items.
The key with ferro rods, excluding their robustness, is understanding the need to have or be able to acquire reliable tinder. Even with a lighter, it's still a major fundamental. While I would choose one my firesteels, common sense makes sure I also have a Bic or two with me as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 PM

Three Cs;
1: Combustion- ferrorod or Bic Lighter
2: Container- metal water bottle or pot
3: Cutlery- 4” bladed knife or larger or axe or machete depending upon general location
Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,058 Posts

Self Defense Skunk bomb
https://www.amazon.com/Pete-Rickard-...VF5/ref=sr_1_3
Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 15,104 Times in 3,609 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

Sleeping bag rated for expected temps -10 degrees.
Tent or tarp.
Katadyn Befree water bottle.

Those three items could fit in a school size back-pack and turn what would have been a survival situation into a minor inconvenience. The low hanging fruit would be a Garmin Inreach mini in place of the Katadyn Befree. You would likely be rescued before a waterborne illness took you out.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:04 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,389 Times in 4,385 Posts

I don't need a wilderness survival pack, but if I DID take one, probably just paracord, and fish hooks.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:12 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 15,104 Times in 3,609 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
I don't do "if I could only have X items" scenarios.

Having "prepped" most of my adult life.
I have bags, kits and packs full of well thought out long term survival gear.

Any/all of which I can grab & evac with on a moments notice.

I cannot really think of any realistic situation that would limit me, to only having access to a very few survival items.

I'm not going to play "naked & afraid".
I can do far better.
I think there's a more realistic way to ask this question. How about, you are going solo elk hunting on foot in rural, mountainous Montana in the fall. Due to the nature of the activity, you can only carry a few "survival items" in your huting pack. What would you bring? That doesn't limit you to three items, but restricts you on weight and size since you are already having to carry hunting specific gear and have to pack out the meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 48,012 Times in 14,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
The key with ferro rods, excluding their robustness, is understanding the need to have or be able to acquire reliable tinder. Even with a lighter, it's still a major fundamental. While I would choose one my firesteels, common sense makes sure I also have a Bic or two with me as well.
the other thing about firesteels is that they're not all created equal, and it's hard to tell a good one from a bad one (imo) without striking it yourself.

i need to pick up a smaller one to pair with the lighter. most of the ones i have are the big thick ones which are good but i want to save some weight in the woods
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,468 Times in 4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Quote:
the other thing about firesteels is that they're not all created equal, and it's hard to tell a good one from a bad one (imo) without striking it yourself.

i need to pick up a smaller one to pair with the lighter. most of the ones i have are the big thick ones which are good but i want to save some weight in the woods
Valid point. I've really found the misch-metal versions (sold by going gear) to be the best for me. They have a higher magnesium content, less prone to corrosion, but they do use more of the material than the higher-iron content, harder ferro rods. You get a larger gob of molten fire-loving, orgasmic, combustion beauty with each strike

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,893 Times in 771 Posts

Knife, ferro rod, and Shepherd's Sling
Old 08-02-2020, 02:45 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,340 Times in 5,423 Posts

Quote:
Valid point. I've really found the misch-metal versions (sold by going gear) to be the best for me. They have a higher magnesium content, less prone to corrosion, but they do use more of the material than the higher-iron content, harder ferro rods. You get a larger gob of molten fire-loving, orgasmic, combustion beauty with each strike

ROCK6
I prefer those over the harder ones as well.

I also have a realllly soft firesteel. I throws the hottest sparks of anything I have ever seen. However, its really hard to get it to spark in the first place. You need to use a lot of force, pressure and speed.

I found it on line really cheap (for a 1"X6"), and I think its for use in special effects work, rather than survival applications.

I am a big fan of firesteel.com. That seems to be the perfect sweet spot balance for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,111 Posts

Of note - current firesteels available from Going Gear are harder than the originals: "Please note that the current version of the firesteels are not exactly the same as our original Youtube video. The composition is the same, but the manufacturer hardens the alloy for a longer period. This makes the rods significantly easier to use, but they will not throw as large of gobs of metal since less material is removed with each scrap. The performance is still excellent and they will still work very well for fire starting." https://goinggear.com/products/bobca...27151263793252
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

I would choose a knife, matches and probably a huge bottle of fresh water maybe. It is one of the main essentials as for me. But it also depends on which conditions you would be. I thnk three things is not enough though.
Old Today, 03:15 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 31,325 Times in 8,429 Posts

Quote:

ROCK6
Almost all Ferro rods originate from China from three manufactures. Simply because China has large productive rare earth deposits, giving China the raw materials to manufacture Ferro rods cheaper than anyone else in the world.

Years ago I bought a few Mischmetal Ferro rods advertised as softer & containing more magnesium. Which were said to throw bigger longer burning sparks - for fire starting purposes

What is Mischmetal = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischmetal

I compared those more expensive so-called "Mischmetal Ferro rods", with ones the exact same dimensions I had previously bought in bulk orders from all three (3) primary Chinese manufactures.

All weighed exactly the same & when struck appeared to throw an equal sized amount of long burning sparks.

So, my opinion is that advertisers / sellers of so-called "Mischmetal Ferro rods" are just adding HYPE to justify far higher prices.

Secondly, the amount & size of sparks abraded off any Ferro rod is dependent on several factors.

1. The experience & skill of the user

2. The diameter & length of the rod
(larger diameter longer rods allow more material to be abraded off a rod)

3. If the rod has an attached handle.
(generally handles only cover 1/2 to 5/8ths of an inch of a rod. Allowing a longer length of the rod to abraded & because of a firm grip, allow the user to apply more pressure & torque when striking the rod - resulting in larger sparks)

4. The striker design & type metal blade.
(strikers with firmly grip-able handles allow the user to apply more pressure & torque when striking the rod, and carbide abrades far better than average steel)

With any of my carbide strikers below, I can throw a huge gob of Ferro rod sparks 10 to 12 feet and they bounce & burn far longer than if struck with a steel striker.