Survivalist Forum banner

What to can? Pint jars

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  kev 
#1 ·
I'm new to canning. Basically, I've put up some sauces - spaghetti, taco, etc. just to learn until I can get some fresh veggies this year.

This past weekend I was given some jars... about 100 pint jars!! I'm trying to think of what to use them for.

I'm familiar with canning as my parents and grandparents canned religiously, but I'm at a loss as to come up with something for the small jars. Maybe jellies/jams?

#6 ·
I can meat in pint jars. mixed veggies, tomatoes, tomato juice, grapes, anything that you would can in a quart jar you can do in a pint jar. When it is just the 3 of us for supper I use the pint jars of meat. More than 3 I use the quarts. The only 2 things I do not can in pints are potatoes & mushrooms. Potatoes are done in quarts because all here eat alot of potatoes. Mushrooms are canned in half pints because my ball blue book says not to can them in anything bigger than a half pint jar.

My canner holds 7 quart jars. But when useing pints i can put 11 pints in then a rack & then put in another 11 pints on top of the bottom layer. So I can do 22 pints at a time. 2 pints equals a quart so i am alittle further ahead by useing pints & canning what equals 11 quarts. Because I run 2 canners at the same time i get 22 quarts (44pints)done in less time than it takes to do 14 quarts.Pints dont cook as long in the canner as quarts.

Congrats on the canning jar score.

#11 ·
This past winter I have spent a lot of time pickeling. Some vegetables that have come on the market at very low prices, I will buy in 10 lb quantities and pickle.

Pickled veges can be used in pasta salads, vege salads, diced and put in potato salad and tuna/egg/chicken salad spread. They can be spread over hamburger, hotdog or any meat sandwitch.

Vinagar is good for the body and tasts delicious when used to pickle veges.

#14 ·
Ha! I was just thinking salsa around lunchtime... wonder why????

A pound of meat doesn't go too far with my family of seven. Yes, I can feed the family a hearty meal making one pound of burger (for instance) stretch, but there wouldn't be any yummy left-overs for the next day!!

#16 ·
Salsa, vegetable pickles (other than cucumbers), fruits for toppings, many many uses for those jars! Wow, I'd love to have them...what luck! Just use them for foods that you don't need a large use of at one time.

Another use could be for just storing different herbs and dried foods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.