Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Junior do you even know how to read an income statement, balance sheet or cash flow statement? It is clear you do not know how to follow instructions. I pay all my bills on interest and dividend while using my social security for spending money.

Have you ever heard the old saying, "Never catch a falling knife"? That is what your three stocks are. I could explain why each has become such a failure but this thread is about solid companies, with good value, free cash flow paying a dividend of 3% or more.

Exactly how much is your livelihood supported by your investments?

I do not invest in alcohol, tobacco, or gaming stocks for moral reasons.
Opening my UBS July statement: None of 1.614 is used to support anything.

But the current yield of just one of my 75 stock portfolio is a mere 1.23% that is based on a current share price of $143. The symbol is DIS which isn't a dividend stock. Yet this years EAI: $10,560 with and actual purchase price of
4.852 kind of reflects the value of money over time. Needless to say Mickey pays for all the family members Annual Passes and resort stays. Dividend stocks are long term investments. But purchase those Old performers when they hit hard times, and let them ride until you reach retirement. Take a 50 year performance view. JMHO.

But might I interject that using your criteria you look for actual DRP's which shall allow beginning investors to purchase a single share of a Dividend Stock (ie Kellogs, General Mills, etc...) and the Company pays all fees etc. Then as funds allow heavier investment is possible. JMHO.
Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,088 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
JNK: if I was going to invest in high yield bonds I would use an ETF also I use PFF for preferred stock this way. It pays a dividend every month and is where I park large sums of cash when I have not picked a stock yet. So my holding in PFF go up and down.

VZ: if I was going to invest in telecom that would be my pick over T (aka AT&T).

SO: is one of the three utilities I own. The other two are DUK and D. I am not sure how much longer I will hold D. SO is in the best growth electric utility market IMO. DUK is the most efficient electricity generating company except for small ones that only or mostly generate with hydroelectric plants. D is kind of a SC speculation play. It recently purchased SCE&G (very high rates for the state of SC) plus Santee Cooper is between D major service areas and SCE&G. So if the state sells Santee to D then the price should jump.

KO: is a good anchor stock to keep in a portfolio but not currently one of my holdings. The current yield we can call 3% which is at the bottom of my preferences. I do have a few growth exceptions but am always trying to safely maximize my yield.

NOV: I do not know much about but I do not invest in oil related companies below my 3% yield.

Thanks for sharing your picks.
SO breaks your 8% rule- itís fluctuated well past that based on bad news from Kemper and Vogtle. I really donít care, as I donít believe the dividend has ever dropped below 4%- certainly never stayed there. Iíve gotten 5% on capital gains with total gains almost 10% ( on purchased shares, probally that on DRIP shares as well.) Iíll ride out the short term drama.
Old Today, 06:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,308 Times in 6,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
SO breaks your 8% rule- it’s fluctuated well past that based on bad news from Kemper and Vogtle. I really don’t care, as I don’t believe the dividend has ever dropped below 4%- certainly never stayed there. I’ve gotten 5% on capital gains with total gains almost 10% ( on purchased shares, probally that on DRIP shares as well.) I’ll ride out the short term drama.
Not for me it did not break my 8% rule. I got out of all utilities before that and recently after it broke out around $47.60. (I still do not like utilities in general. Which is why I am not in an ETF for the sub-group.)

The way I make money is to invest not to lose money. I may not make as much as some but I do not lose as much as many.