Red Pocket Mobile switch experience from Tracfone. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,154 Times in 10,027 Posts
Default Red Pocket Mobile switch experience from Tracfone.

Advertise Here

I have used an annual Tracfone plan for the last 7-8 years for my phone service with some light internet usage. It has 1500 minutes Talk, 1.5GB Data and 1500 texts for $125/yr (I get a discount down to $118.75 for auto renewal). My heavier Internet usage from my desktop I get supplied by AT&T Prepaid Data at $25/mo for 3GB using a Netgear LTE LB1120 modem. (like a mobile hotspot but has ethernet port instead of WiFi router.

Just recently I read about Red Pocket mobile that offers a yearly plan for $60 that is 100 minutes a mo, 500mb Data/mo and 100 texts/mo. Since they work with all 4 carriers ( AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint and Verizon) I can keep using the Verizon that my Tracfone was. So I have ordered their kit and bought a years plan on E-Bay and in the process of setting it up. Last week I unlocked my Tracfone ZTE Majesty Pro Smart phone so that, hopefully, I can get everything working and I also plan to port my present Tracfone phone number to RP. Incidentally, to unlock a Tracfone phone, look for the link on the bottom of Tracfone's website. Bit hard to spot but it is down there. Not all phones can be unlocked.

Checking your CDMA phones capability to work on RP. Got to Red pocket web site and select: Activate. Register at the website and log in. It will ask for sim number but look for the link above the Sim entry box for checking phone compatibility.

Along with the phone plans they offer a DATA only plan of 5GB/mo for $25. I hope to use this for my Netgear LB1120 LTE modem. Can't say if it will all work out yet, but if it does, I will end up with more DATA and much cheaper phone service all together. Since I rarely use more than a few minutes talking on a phone each month, and almost no texts, the Red pocket basic plan is a great potential savings for me.

Got the Sims in Monday this week so I started to transfer everything. First off was: My Netgear LB1120 LTE modem. Luckily I have a hotspot feature on my ZTE phone so I could use the net to activate the account on my computer versus relying on the phones interface or by calling customer service. I powered off the modem and replaced the sim with RP’s sim. I then went to the Red Pocket activate web page and filled out the sim number plus account information. It activated the sim and gave me a phone number plus the APN settings I would use. Next I brought up the LB1120 modem’s access/settings/APN and added the supplied information and switched from the AT&T APN that was previously selected. Finally I rebooted the LTE modem. Success it connected! So far so good. I can discontinue AT&T Prepaid service and have more DATA at the same cost if it continues to work. AT&T was charging me $25 for 3GB/mo where RP will be $25 for 5GB/mo.

Next up is my phone which I waited another day before transfer since when I do it I plan to port the old phone number over. This is my main phone number and I want to keep it if possible. Started the process this morning and could not get it working online. Called RP Customer service and got all the way through the setup and transfer up to the port of my old phone number which did not want to work due to no pin set. So called up my old carrier, worked through the menus until got a representative who setup a pin number. Called back RP and gave it another try. Would not work. So once again called back Tracfone and tried again to get the port of phone number to go through. Boy I hate being on hold and wading through automated phone systems.

After 3 tries between the two companies, and endless hold periods, the port must have happened because my phone suddenly lost all connection while Iwas online holding for RP’s CS rep. I powered down and replaced the sim with RP’s sim. The phone will now connect to Verizon but says that a restriction is placed on service so can not use. I bring out my emergency backup phone (it has a lot of minutes available since it never gets used) and call RP back.

After wading through hold for another 30 minutes it seems that Tracfone allowed the port but did not release my phone! So back to calling CS at TF to see if it can be done. So far I have spent almost 4 hours of back and forth on this. AARRGH! I would have never bothered to port the number if I knew it was going to be this much hassle. What a pain in the butt. Well Lo and behold, Tracfone says they are not holding out, so back to RP. *you are caller number 16 the wait time will be 20 minutes* The noise you just heard was me screaming so loud the birds fell stunned out of the sky.

Well finally I am up and running. The phone works, the hotspot on the phone works, my account is setup except voicemail. It just gives me a busy signal. I am going to wait a day or so before tackling it. I am beat. Typical of computer stuff it either works without problems or you fight it to the death.

At any rate hope my experience may help anyone else thinking of switching.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,154 Times in 10,027 Posts

Got my voice mail setup working. Much easier process of emailing Red Pocket CS yesterday afternoon and by this morning getting a reply that it was fixed.

I suspect the big problem was Tracfone in all this mess. I have been with them from before they allowed you to keep your phone number between carriers. My service had some major hiccups when I had to change my old 2G phone out and went to the smartphone 2 years back. Some of the information at Tracfones Database on me was wrong such as misspelled name, not correct address and such. No amount of efforts seem to erase the old mistakes. It was from that time I decided to have a spare emergency phone since I kept getting asked by the service people to call them on a different phone. They seem to have this strange assumption that people had more than one phone. I guess urban folk have easier access to another line than solitary remote living crazy old hermits like myself.

Other folks moving from Tracfone may not have as much problems if their accounts are more recent.
Quick reply to this message