Recharge Black & Decker power station with solar panels - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Default Recharge Black & Decker power station with solar panels

Advertise Here

Have spent the last week going through a number of threads on power banks, power stations, portable solar panels etc.

Greatly appreciate all of the feedback and expertise on this forum. I found it hard to go to sleep a few nights last week, as I kept wanting to read more.

I have a Black & Decker 500W power station (https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...RH5B/203613410)

I plan on getting a better one (most likely the Yeti) and will keep this one in the car.

My question: Am I able to recharge this via solar panels? It has a 120-volt AC charger and that is the primary method of recharging.

I have never owned solar panels and am not familiar with how they connect to the power station. I see that many of them have USB ports to directly charge phones, laptops, etc. And I know that Goal Zero and others make panels that easily connect to their own brand of power station.

Do I need to look for a particular brand or type of panel so that I can recharge my existing power station that way?

Thanks in advance (again) for the expertise of this forum.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Not quite answering your question but a company called back woods solar has a catalog in .pdf on their website that gives a good overview of residential solar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,859 Times in 7,908 Posts

I didn't see that it has a way to charge the internal battery with DC from any source. So a solar panel with an inverter to make 120 AC is required. You might be able to install a plug for a charging with a DC input from your panel, in that case you will want a proper charge controller to protect the battery.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,153 Times in 10,027 Posts

You could get a 12vDC plug to fit the 12vDC socket on your power station and wire it to the output of a solar charge controller. Since we are talking such a small battery don't overdo the setup. Look up the amps the socket is rated to deliver on your specifications and stay below it.

Also, if this is a lithium battery, you need a suitable charge controller. Voltages are different.

I might comment that if you are going to go to a solar panel and controller why not simply buy a appropriate battery and inverter?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I might comment that if you are going to go to a solar panel and controller why not simply buy a appropriate battery and inverter?
The Black & Decker power station is lead acid, not lithium (unfortunately).

I will be buying a new (and better) power station, inverter and solar panel. The B&D will become a backup power station, and remain primarily in the car. Was just wondering if it was possible to recharge via solar panels

Logic being: I live in FL, where hurricanes can put us without power for a few weeks. Even if I plan ahead, and have both power stations fully charged, at some point they will run empty. I would start recharging the primary via solar panels ASAP. But it would be helpful to be able to also recharge the B&D in same manner - so that I could always use one and be recharging the other, until power was restored to the area.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,859 Times in 7,908 Posts

It appears to be a sealed lead acid battery. If you want to charge it with DC you will need to open it up and attach additional wires to the battery terminal.

I would suggest you just charge it with AC from your real photovoaltic system that consists of panel(s), charge controller, a pure sine wave inverter and a battery bank.

Quality of the unit doesn't appear good.
https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...pressor/pprh5b
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,723 Times in 2,003 Posts

Yep - It looks like your B&D is about the bottom of the range/market.

But in the end it is mostly a 12V 17Ah SLA battery in a box with some plugs and switches.

Get a 40W 12V solar panel and a 5-10 AMP MPPT solar controller and wire the panel to the controller and the controller to the B&D through the cigar lighter output (ie with a male cigar lighter plug). Assuming it doesn't have a diode in that circuit, that will allow you to charge the battery. The cigar plug outlet will be 12V and rated for 10A so it should be safe enough.....

A 40W panel should charge it from flat in about 4-8 hours of good sunlight.

The B&D may have to be "switched ON" to charge - if that switch also controls the cigar lighter 12V outlet.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Yep - It looks like your B&D is about the bottom of the range/market.
Yep, I know that now. 2 years ago during Irma, my friend (who didnt lose power) gave me this same B&D model, and it got me through the week until power was restored. Home Depot had a sale on it a few weeks later, so I bought one. Will be adding a much better model (Yeti?) and relegating this to backup status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Get a 40W 12V solar panel and a 5-10 AMP MPPT solar controller and wire the panel to the controller and the controller to the B&D through the cigar lighter output (ie with a male cigar lighter plug). Assuming it doesn't have a diode in that circuit, that will allow you to charge the battery. The cigar plug outlet will be 12V and rated for 10A so it should be safe enough.....

A 40W panel should charge it from flat in about 4-8 hours of good sunlight.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know - if it was possible to use solar panel to recharge this one, if power is out for so long that I've run through both the primary and this backup.

I've said it numerous times since joining this forum - I am very thankful to have found it and for the feedback I have received thus far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper2983 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM

I had a similar model, when it died, I reused the positive and negative wires and clamps for an inverter that connects to my car battery.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,824 Times in 2,717 Posts

17AH battery 30 dollars
750 watt inverter from HF 30 dollars.

BD Power station 95 dollars...
Old 06-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Trapper

Forget the yeti (antigun wackos). Look at a DeWalt Portable Power station with 9ah Flexvolt batteries.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...arger/dcb1800b
Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,231 Times in 478 Posts

According to the product manual (https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/21798...ed093dcec4.pdf) B&D sells an optional 12V charging adapter, which looks like nothing more that two male 12V cigarette lighter plugs connected with some wire. That means you should be able to charge it with a 12V source like a solar panel, with probably tons of caveats.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Trapper

Yeti is way overpriced. Look on Amazon for an alternative. I have a bunch of Goal Zero stuff but didn't get their yeti because there is better options for a lot less.