Starting Up (Kinda) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Starting Up (Kinda)

Advertise Here

So I've been a small time prepper for a while ...nothing serious...well my seriousness was and is always guns, ammo and survival (my hobbies)...but have now started getting into the prepping side of stored up food for long term....I used to pick up the buckets of this and that ...which I thought were just OK, but expensive for what you get ...so this week I decided to start getting serious - my thought process is SHTF natural disaster via a very serious Solar Flare that would send us back by at least 150 years as far as technology...for a good amount of time...I just look at Puerto Rico as an example - that place is still F'd up..my goal by the end of summer will be to have enough food and supplies for 2 years...and then continue to build it up from there 10 years (?? ++) ..... getting free food grade buckets every 2 days from a bakery for free (about 1 or 2 every time I go in there, they are saving them for me now)...I have Mylar bags (multiple sizes and oxygen eaters being delivered tomorrow......figure I will also do the mason jars as well. I really always thought that it would be expensive..but it really isn't if your not going the remade prepare route...

wife is out of town this week so the kitchen is looking a bit crazy

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 PM

tried to post a pic but it doesn't work?!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,860 Times in 3,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadarmy View Post
tried to post a pic but it doesn't work?!
It did work...there is a photo.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:

Old 06-04-2019, 04:48 PM

weird, I can't see it
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,177 Times in 5,536 Posts

Ha, neither can I see it. Looks like 2 broken links.

If you haven't gotten into pressure canning MEAT, it's the best way to store protein for a year or two. You can buy in in bulk, freeze it till you have a bunch ready to can. Saves money, tastes good! Rotate it into your dinners and you'll be way ahead of the average Joe.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Prepared

I personally like to use smaller heavy mylar bads(5,7mil) for storage. Ive used different sizes of rubber maid containers for the everyday pantry. 3-5 lbs of beans,rice,cereals,etc in 1 gallon bags for storage When Tupperware is empty, one bag from storage will fill it up. Just an idea for you to ponder on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,185 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 1 View Post
I personally like to use smaller heavy mylar bads(5,7mil) for storage. Ive used different sizes of rubber maid containers for the everyday pantry. 3-5 lbs of beans,rice,cereals,etc in 1 gallon bags for storage When Tupperware is empty, one bag from storage will fill it up. Just an idea for you to ponder on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are free from rodents, be sure to put mylar bags into plastic buckets which are thick enough to keep out most rats. Mice will chew right through Tupperware. And when you have a lot of food and eat what you store, you can expect rodents.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,861 Times in 7,909 Posts

I can't see a pic or even a X.

+1 for pressure canning. I have yet to try the reusable lids (Tattler), maybe this year.
I can fit about 1.75 pounds of meat in a quart wide mouth. About $4 a jar for chicken breast or pork loin any day of the week. Sometimes only $2 a jar on sales. 28 oz for about half the price of factory canned stuff.

I would add meds to your list, perhaps some supplements to help with limited diets.

Sprouts are easy to grow for greens. Seeds store well. I grow alfalfa, red clover, mustard and radish.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 51,599 Times in 18,114 Posts

I suggest stopping now. Maybe even backing up a bit.

Storing food needs serious learning or you will regret it later.

Have you read all the pinned threads yet? Do you understand how to mylar pack? Have you learned which beans store poorly and those that store great? Have you learned about food fatigue? The different types of rice? Nutrition? Scratch cooking and seasoning? Learned about making and storing safe water? Which kinds of fats store well? Computed all your caloric needs?

I hope you saw that list and said yes to 100% of that before spending a nickel or packaging anything.

Storing a big pile of the wrong food away or packed poorly is a fast way to waste money and still be no better off than before you started.

The lesson we try to get people to embrace at the start is to store about a month of canned food right off the bat and then spend a year here reading all you can on food storage. The chances of hitting a disaster so big that a month is not enough are pretty low. So putting a lot of food away poorly is more likely to cause an income disaster first, before anything else.

Proper food storage has a pretty steep learning curve because there is just a ton of things to take in.

Time spent learning food storage is not wasted time or put you at much risk if you have that month of canned goods.

Follow my advice and you will not waste a lot of money and you will be prepared the right way.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 55,188 Times in 18,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I can't see a pic or even a X.

+1 for pressure canning. I have yet to try the reusable lids (Tattler), maybe this year.
I have 500+ jars on hand (filled) at any given day of the year and "cycle through" at least a couple hundred per year. (So I may have 700-900 on some days)

Grew up water bath canning, have been pressure canning for some years now.

I have 3,000 tattler lids. 2,500 regular, 500 wide mouth.
Not canning meat growing up I went mostly with regular. Wish I had more wide mouth. OTOH I pick up most of my jars used $0.05-0.10 per, and most are regular.

Not trusting reports of 20x+ uses of tattler lids I had a batch I sealed up and opened first each time to test.
After 8+ uses (years ago) by actual count they got lost in the rest.
Still no failures.

I wholeheartedly endorse tattler lids. Once a year in the fall they go on sale.

As to the OP:
I will share what I have:
I do not like most veggies cooked (I will eat many of them raw) as such I am light on canned veggies (I have almost no commercial cans, my canned food is both better and cheaper. People have tried to disagree and I have broken it down at length several times, so I will not do so without a request.)

My initial goal was a "meal" (beef roast, canned pork chops, taco soup, puulled pork or Turkey etc) 2x a week. And 3 pints of fruit per week.
I figured this was a good base to build on, it's actually useful, saves.money and you "naturally rotate" and it's not freeze dried stuff that sits there for 20 years (got that too.)

The convenience of canning quickly lead me to surpass those numbers.
I haven't made my taco soup in over a year. Because the last time I made it I made over 3 dozen pints.

ANYWAY:
You then take your bulk stores. (Wheat, rice, lentles, beans... NOT pinto beans), in ground pepper, salt, sugar, etc
I've done milar in 5 gal buckets, but will soon be switching to barrels. (I'll do 20-30lb milar bags within the barrels)
Just these two will go very far.

Mostly a bag/bucket for each type of food, but a few buckets of assorted milar bags (a cup of salt, and a couple cups of sugar in with rice, beans, lentles etc) this will be better for gifting, or if you need to grab one and go somewhere...

Then I have some things freeze dried. It's expensive, so I did things like steak, shrimp etc. (ended up my own freeze dryer)

#10 cans of dried foods like onion, peas, etc.

A little round the edges like commercially canned butter and cheese (cannot safely do it at home.)

I also have a solar powered 14.8 Cubic foot freezer.

And then we come to production.
I have 1,400 sqft of raised beds I plant in a VERY NON-intensive (can worry more about max production of it matters) way
Mostly salad type vegies, but some beans (for practice... I have many bags of dried beans) and I always experiment. This year it's sorgum and amaranth.
I also have many perrenials, from elephant garlic and Egyptian walking onion to berry bushes and canes, to fruit and nut trees.
(I need to get a cold press to extract oil from sunflowers and tree nuts.)
an acre of apples has more calories than an acre of wheat.

Philosophy:
IMHO what is called prepping and what up till about a hundred years ago was called "living" for all of recorded history is a journey, not a destination.

But I answer for my "preps" to (with few exceptions like medial supplies) be used, and to be cost effective.
canning, even once you calculate the value of your time is exonomical.
And if you grow some herbs in your garden and calculate time NOT spent driving to get fresh lettuce.... It's economical on both time and money.
DON'T do what most Mormons do and buy a years worth of food and let it sit for 20 years.

$0.02

Zeke's bedside manner sucks, but he's a hell of a brain surgen. Some of us can look right past, some get hung up. Your call, but I'd not rush to be offended.