Hughes Net - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 146.520 a Ham Radio thing? mygunisjammed Communications 51 09-05-2019 10:13 PM
Ham calling frequencies Mr. Sockpuppet Communications 19 10-11-2017 08:05 AM
D-Star Blackrock Communications 49 09-17-2017 07:51 AM
amateur radio communication for hobby or emergency Mrterryman Pennsylvania 7 07-10-2017 07:10 PM

Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,739 Times in 7,719 Posts
Default Hughes Net

Advertise Here

I discovered today that AT&T is going to discontinue their DSL service the first part of 2020. They are going all fiber. There are many many areas that don't have fiber, like mine, so we are simply going to be left out in the cold when it comes to Internet service. AT&T is already not supporting there routing stations, basically not doing upgrades and making brandade patches to keep it going until 2020.

So to the point, do you have Huges Net? How is it working for you and what are the costs for service like?

I hate AT&T..
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Work in progress

Thanked 1,185 Times in 554 Posts

Is EarthLink available in your area?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,120 Times in 3,865 Posts

From the commercial user side, every customer I knew of that had Hughes net satellite service had BIG problems streaming video and the like due to slow/limited bandwidth, plus it was expensive. If business accounts had that problem I would expect residential service to be worse.

Maybe that has changed recently, but I would look carefully at that before signing up (unless there are no other options).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 09:24 PM
Electronic Grease Monkey

Thanked 1,087 Times in 344 Posts

Hughes has another satellite up/leased in the past year, we are streaming like mad now. Definitely worth a look now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rustynuts For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,178 Times in 1,311 Posts

Satellite internet is only an option when their are no other ways to get internet it is far more expensive and still slower then landline connections. It will always have high latency due to the distance to the Satellites. The bandwidth limitations and speed have improved in the last few years but it's still slow my current speed is 3.29 Mbps download and 0.23 Upload, Latency 693 ms. I am currently on using exede the results were similar when I had hughes net. For this connection I pay 159.99 per month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim in Illinois For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 04:13 AM
Prepared

Many years ago I tried Hughes, it was a step up from dial-up, but not much. The main issue was as already mentioned bandwidth/speed/latency. I cannot say how it is now, but back when I tried it they had what they called Fair Access Policy, or "FAP" If you used over a certain amount of bandwidth you would get "FAPPED". Essentially they throttle your connection to the point you will only be able to browse, or check email.

It was horrible back when I tried it, and it seems they still do the same according to the following link. Of course the more you pay the more your allowed to do before you end up getting "FAPPED".

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm

Seems they are up to Gen4 on the policy, still looks like it pretty much sucks. I'd suggest using the term "Hughes FAP" as a search and do some research before you spend your money. If your not going to use a large amount of bandwidth it may be an OK option.

Where I live Internet options were pretty limited for a long time. I lived on 8/1 DSL for many years, the only other option was a wireless RF internet provider which while slower then DSL, would still have been much better then Hughes. You might look into this possibility, it may be hard to find the provider as they are generally rather obscure. A quick search found the following

https://broadbandnow.com/Fixed-Wireless-Providers

Hughes would definitely be my last choice due to previous experience with them.

Thankfully even though I'm pretty rural I now have fiber optic fed Cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccwaters For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 05:27 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 21,030 Times in 7,063 Posts

Hughes satellite, even the slower generations, will be a big step up from DSL. I've been on it since 2009. (My BOL doesn't even have DSL, and there's zero cell signal down in my holler!).

Ignore the nay-sayers. Hughes works just fine, unless you are addicted to streaming video. If you've been on DSL, you're not. Only trouble I've had, aside from losing signal during heavy rain or the dish getting coated with snow, is that they weren't too good about replacing a failed modem under warranty. Some jerk in their service dept. tried to palm off a used modem as replacement, and it was DOA. That's it. Eight years now. As far as FAP goes, I've spent hours downloading software when setting up new computers, and have never gotten even close to being throttled. Only 24/7 video addicts or gamers would complain about that.

It costs me $60 a month. I paid out about $300 for the dish and the modem in 2009. Supplied my own post for the dish mount. Just a length of galvanized pipe set in concrete. You need a clear view to the south.

If you come in as a new subscriber, and want the fastest new-generation service, it's a little more. I'm told that the latest and greatest will support streaming video, but I've refused to upgrade. Video is the worst time-waster going, after gaming.

Put a battery-backup on your modem. I use an APC 860. Good protection against lighting transients from the grid. Also bridges short dropouts, which for some reason I get every month or two.

BTW last time I looked, nobody but Hughes had satellites up. Other names selling satellite are just rebranding Hughes' bandwidth.

Oh, I forgot....this summer I had trouble with persistent low signal. Local service tech nailed it right away. After all these years, tiny insects had gotten into the antenna waveguide and died there. Ten minute cleanout and all is golden again. Service call was $60. He showed up the same day I called.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:08 AM

For your sanity, stay away from hughes net. Problems include miserly data caps, slow speeds, EXPENSIVE, and if they want you to upgrade, they brick your modem so you have to get a new one, with a new 2 year contract. And did I say bandwidth caps/limits? Enough to read you email and browse text only, but dont do any video.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greatgeezer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,946 Times in 2,496 Posts

I have been with 5 different point to point internet providers after I dumped Hughes years ago. See if you have one in your area. Much less cost per month in the California mountians Now I am in rural Missouri paying $300 a month for 10 down and two up. My wife likes to stream. I was getting much more bandwidth in So. Cal. For around $80 per month. Ping is around 25 MS so I can use Magic Jack which I love. No VOIP with Hughes Net. We don't eat out or spend $$$ on entertainment except for the streaming which is how I rationalize the crazy high cost of my service. I was going to put up my own tower, cost $8k and had a company around 30 miles away that was going to sell me banwidth. I was going to see if I could sell some of the bandwidth to the neighbors who were in line of sight. Right now I will continue to pay up but I am still considering the tower.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,750 Times in 2,448 Posts

I just saw a commercial, 25MB and no data cap....
I have DSL up on the hill, so will be getting this.

As to voip on Hughesnet? My 92yr old friend uses basictalk and it works fine.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,696 Times in 10,727 Posts

You might consider wireless internet. Much lower latency and depending on your area pretty fantastic speeds. I have used a prepaid mobile hotspot from AT&T for my Internet needs for the last 3 years. I pay $25/mo for 2GB. The speed seems to average about 4-6mb thought I have seen it go as high as 23mb when the reception is best. Not sufficient BW for streaming videos.

I have been eyeing recently the home wireless Internet and phone setup (contract unfortunately) from AT&T. It gives 25gb for $40/mo plus you have to pay $20/mo for voice (I believe Verizons competing unit allows you to buy Internet only, but it costs more for less Data). There is a strange situation in a couple of states that AT&T offers a 250gb package.

AT&T is also saying they have a Direct wireless service in some states. This is 160gb data at a minimum speed of 10mb down it goes for $60/mo on contract.

Like others I used Sat internet in the past. First Wild Blue and then Dishnet. Dishnet was not hideous but I actually do better with my little battery hotspot in terms of speed and reliability.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Get with AT&T and see if they have plans. Same thing happening to my Arkansas property and I found out they are running fiber out to that location. Maybe they have something planned for your area too.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,739 Times in 7,719 Posts

I'm a little remote, though not that remote. My understanding is that they do not plan funning fiber here. I do a love of Internet and I do quitenamgitmof streaming via Netflix. YouTube of course too. My current Internet bill is $45 peer month and it does everything I need it too.

What exactly do you mean when you say wireless Internet. I think of Sattilite when you say that. Thervis an option of an antenna that reaches a hub somewhere, but given he hole i live in, it requires a 60 foot antenna. That setup is line of Sight. I really don't understand what AT&T is thinking when it comes to killing dsl. The idea behind it was to reach people that otherwise couldn't connect. Looks like they are going backwards with limiting fiber access.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 21,030 Times in 7,063 Posts

Wireless internet is delivered like cellphone service. Line-of-sight to the tower, and distance only 4-5 miles. My friend in Idaho tried the Verizon version last year, and it worked, but keeping the modem they supplied synched with her Apple laptop was a nightmare. That may be her....she's the antithesis of a techie. She's fallen back on an iPad her daughter gave her, running off her cell service for email and Skype.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,946 Times in 2,496 Posts

Wireless is what I call point to point
Typically line of sight
Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,750 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Get with AT&T and see if they have plans. Same thing happening to my Arkansas property and I found out they are running fiber out to that location. Maybe they have something planned for your area too.

My DSL provider, NATCO, is running fiber now to communities. When I asked when it's coming to me, they laughed and laughed and laughed. 10 yrs, maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 AM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,538 Times in 4,614 Posts

We have ATnT Wireless 4GLTE internet service and it is as good if not better on Speed/reliability than Hughes and Wildblue (sat internet). THE BEST part is we get 250gigs of data for the same price we USED to get 10gigs from the sat guys. If you are having signal loss issues with your cell phone the Access points for the 4GLTE are MUCH stronger and some can be "upgraded" with a yagi antenna.

+1 for the ATnT wireless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,696 Times in 10,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Wireless is what I call point to point
Typically line of sight
They call that direct wireless. Versus the cell phone wireless signal which is omni-directional. Not to be confused with WiFi that is short distance in the home or business. Lots of folks think WiFi is internet when it is only that when a Internet access is provided to the WiFi router via a hard line or wireless source.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,961 Times in 6,474 Posts

Had Hughes for quite a while till we called support and got shuffled then on hold then called from another phone got another person said " here talk to my GF she's been on hold for 2 hours.
This woman doesn't swear but that day she enlarged the overseas tech support personnel's English anatomy vocabulary.
But the initial problem was fixed and got 3 months comped.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,034 Times in 6,285 Posts

My son has Hughes in MT. He is in the boonies on top of a mountain. It is his only choice. It is very expensive, VERY S L O W, and not that reliable. Other than that, it is his only choice. Last time I was there, surfing the web was about as fast as my old dial-up. He can't watch movies --- his plan is very limited and it would cost him a fortune. That was about a year ago... not sure if/how things have improved since then.