What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 07:51 AM
Do you have a BOL Security Plan you can share 3percentR Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 07-24-2018 08:13 PM
Plan twice, prep one is out of date rabbitone Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 07-10-2017 08:15 PM
Health Insurance/Healthcare Plan....could this work? OhioMan General Discussion 11 05-16-2017 07:24 AM

Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Default What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location

Advertise Here

Looking at some budget communications for our security team at the BOL and I think I am going with the following:

Baofeng uv-5r radios with the Mic attachment. The mic can click onto my load bearing vest up by my neck and then a AUX cable from the mic to a pair of Walker Razor headsets. I tried this out and it works pretty well if you secure the wires. I would like to maintain hearing if we ever got into a firefight and the walkers do the job while allowing us to also hear the radio. Curious on what others are using on a budget.

I will buy a few extra Baofengs, rechargeable batteries for the head sets and radio. My solar setup will be used to charge the batteries in case or power loss. I have a few high end radio (Yaesu) to add to the mix as well.

Last edited by 3percentR; 09-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Updated title
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 3percentR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 13,693 Times in 4,390 Posts

For around the property/neighborhood I have a couple sets of Motorola FRS/GRMS radios with mics and earpieces. Longer range is handled by some Yaseus (2-VX170s and a VX6R)

By the way I sent you a PM on that other thread but it doesn't show up in my sent folder...did you get it?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM

yes I got it, need to time read and respond as needed, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,513 Posts

2x Cans and string.

any decent brand with headsets will work unless you want something that's encrypted and that's $$$$$$ everything else is essentially different flavors of the same due to FCC limitations to power
Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Prepared

Ham HF and VHF/UHF radios with CB backup.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,950 Times in 2,411 Posts

1. AM/FM radios
2. Baofeng radios (monitors Ham, police, fire, EMS, marine, weather band, FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies and more)
3. Shortwave/AM/FM radios
4. CB radio

Don't forget to have multiple means of powering your radios. I like Eneloop AAs because they're easily recharged from a variety of source (i.e. battery bank, vehicles, generator, solar panel). All of the above can run on AAs.
The Following User Says Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 PM
I love this forum

I bought an ICOM 746 and a dipole antenna.. I also have two vehicle type CB radios and the ICOM can transmit on cb radio frequencies.

I'm working on finding some handheld radios that can accept earphones and headset mic.. Haven't gotten there yet...

I also just ordered a SDR dongle.. it can receive just about anything but no transmit.

ICOM746
Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,698 Times in 13,392 Posts

local comms you'll probably be good with the baofengs. get the longest practical aftermarket antennas you can, it will make a difference. most of the effectiveness of radios is in the antenna.

also consider having a larger base station inside your primary structure, it can then have a much larger antenna which can compensate for the small antennas on the handhelds. that way even if two handheld users are out of contact with one another, base might still be able to maintain contact with both of them and relay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 PM

Yes, I do have a base HAM radio station with a 30 foot tower.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3percentR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Target Shooter

I'm going with comms on the 222MHz/1.25M band to avoid all the lazy preppers who bought Boafengs but refuse to get their ham license and learn to operate them properly.

On the Brightside I can easily DF them so I know where to resupply from people who have no doubt taken huge short cuts everywhere else in life like on security planning and firearms training.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPrepper View Post
I'm going with comms on the 222MHz/1.25M band to avoid all the lazy preppers who bought Boafengs but refuse to get their ham license and learn to operate them properly.

On the Brightside I can easily DF them so I know where to resupply from people who have no doubt taken huge short cuts everywhere else in life like on security planning and firearms training.
Ok Goodraider

Seriously though, there are not that many "lazy preppers" within a mile of you to worry about the airwaves being congested.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,201 Times in 624 Posts
Default What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location

Quote:

I'm sure in some cases that would work, but if you DF my feng, with that expectation you would be in for one hell of a surprise, my youngest has handsize groupings after 50 shots at 3/5/7/9 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,829 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location

speaking only in whispers....so no one will know where we are...
The Following User Says Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,950 Times in 2,411 Posts

Quote:

So you're planning on attempting to raid people who you don't think have their radio preps in order, banking on them also having inadequate means of self defense?

If you try that, I hope you get what you'll deserve. You probably will.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Good one, works everytime but the time it doesn't.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Gettin By

Thanked 1,594 Times in 658 Posts

Quote:

Ditto that. We haven't worried too much about getting on different bands for HT other than 2meters and 440 as we are using technology that is going to defeat anything other than the most well prepared/equipped radio tech. The vast majority of the folks you describe (buy the cheapest thing they can to get by and know very little about how any of it works anyway) would not even have a clue what was going on when they hear a D-Star signal on their analog 25khz radios. And if we even start to think that the D-Star system has been compromised we have several other modes of commercial digital that is encrypted at our disposal.
As far as everyday communications goes we are all licensed HAMS and have base stations at our homes and mobiles in our vehicles. We also have well equipped HF stations for short and long range communications.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Target Shooter

We anticipate using a blend of technologies including various cheap Chinese radios. In addition to voice communications between households, OP's, and patrols locally, here are a couple of other uses you might think of.

Vehicle traffic being discouraged, a cheap HT set up near a natural choke point for incoming foot traffic in VOX mode can be used as a wireless intercom system by your OP without the visitor having any way of knowing which way or how far the OP might be.

Below is a simplified circuit that would allow a plug and play alarm sensor on GMRS/FRS or ham radios. There is no auto-identification circuitry, so for the purposes of pre-SHTF, this would be for FRS or MUR radios. You would need to change the pinouts and plug types depending on the radio you are connecting to, but the Kenwood type connector is used by Baofeng, Wouxon and several others. The one-shot is a pulse stretcher to ensure the alert signal lasts long enough to get through regardless of duration of actual switch closure, the astable circuitry creates the audible tone transmitted to the control point.

The idea is you connect a normally open switch across the "INPUT" contacts. The switch itself can be a conventional door contact switch in a honeypot house, pressure switch in a trail or anything else.

In use, you can deploy these units all around up to the range of the radio in your environment (results vary). Each radio could have the same transmit frequency, but a different CTCSS tone. Your base unit would scan the tones in use and you can label each with an alphanumeric for easy identification.

The Following User Says Thank You to firewallsrus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewallsrus View Post
We anticipate using a blend of technologies including various cheap Chinese radios. In addition to voice communications between households, OP's, and patrols locally, here are a couple of other uses you might think of.

Vehicle traffic being discouraged, a cheap HT set up near a natural choke point for incoming foot traffic in VOX mode can be used as a wireless intercom system by your OP without the visitor having any way of knowing which way or how far the OP might be.

Below is a simplified circuit that would allow a plug and play alarm sensor on GMRS/FRS or ham radios. There is no auto-identification circuitry, so for the purposes of pre-SHTF, this would be for FRS or MUR radios. You would need to change the pinouts and plug types depending on the radio you are connecting to, but the Kenwood type connector is used by Baofeng, Wouxon and several others. The one-shot is a pulse stretcher to ensure the alert signal lasts long enough to get through regardless of duration of actual switch closure, the astable circuitry creates the audible tone transmitted to the control point.

The idea is you connect a normally open switch across the "INPUT" contacts. The switch itself can be a conventional door contact switch in a honeypot house, pressure switch in a trail or anything else.

In use, you can deploy these units all around up to the range of the radio in your environment (results vary). Each radio could have the same transmit frequency, but a different CTCSS tone. Your base unit would scan the tones in use and you can label each with an alphanumeric for easy identification.

make sure your radio is in a secure enclosure that cannot be removed without your consent
Old 09-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
make sure your radio is in a secure enclosure that cannot be removed without your consent
I appreciate the feedback. One reason to use cheap Chinese radios for this is the disposable nature of the radios. You make a good point though and I would suggest adding a tamper (vibration or tilt) switch to the radios in parallel with the input so that if someone finds the radio and messes with it, I know they are there.

As with any perimeter security, it loses value quickly if it is detectable becuase detection is at least half of circumvention. I have actually set an alarm like this up using a Midland FRS radio which uses I/O connections similar to the Kenwood.

At $10 each for the BF-888, I think I can get by with hiding them. The person tripping the alarm system needn't be aware they tripped it. If you use a vacant house as a honey pot, the doors can have flush door contacts installed with the radio in the attic.

When used as an intercom as in the first example, the radio itself might be almost anywhere and wires run to a speaker and microphone.
The Following User Says Thank You to firewallsrus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,649 Posts

I have some 8 watt Baofeng HTs that also get FM broadcast, and IIRC can operate on FRS/GMRS. Those go to myself and my kids.

I have 8 inexpensive ($10 ea) 2 watt UHF Baofeng HTs with chargers to give out to the neighbors.

I am looking into getting some quad band (10/6/2M/70cm) mobiles to put in my rigs and one as a base station.

I have a couple of handheld 40 channel CB radios.

Finally, I am looking at setting up a mesh WiFi network that will allow anybody with a cell phone or computer and the password to use within a mile or so of the neighborhood.

This would provide both voice and texting and any other feature that can be used via WiFi. It would also allow people to monitor any device - such as surveillance cams/etc., that would be hooked up to the network.

This would require at least some (about half) the neighbors to setup a node at their house - one at each end of the private road, and one or two spaced out in between.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post: