US Mass Killings Hit a New High in 2019... - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Will you alter your personal defense strategy?
Not worried about it 14 33.33%
Maybe 3 7.14%
No change needed 25 59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,890 Times in 1,725 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
On that note - yes. I make my living sewing home furnishings for people, I deliver and I often install them too. 20 years ago, I would have always had a knife and mace. Today along with the knife I carry a Bersa Thunder. I trust the people I work for but not necessarily the people in some neighborhoods I might have to pass through. I do not routinely carry in everyday places.
That admission makes me like you a little bit more. But we still have a long ways to go before I could consider you a Sister.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 8,023 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
What resonates with me is that their are plenty of "sicko's" out there.

I agree 100%. Just because there were more shootings, hasn't changed my mentality or preparedness one iota.

What does have my attention is the vast increase of mental illness. Every one of these people are prime candidates to initiate violence.... even if it is only kicking and screaming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 AM
This space for rent

Thanked 2,966 Times in 939 Posts

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-8.xls
Looks like I was wrong, you are more than 9 times more likely to be killed by hands feet knives and any other means (including running someone over with a car {unspecified}) than by Long guns including rifles (includes "assault"),
However here is where I was wrong:
almost twice as likely as being killed by a handgun than any other means (hands feet knives cars etc.)
but interesting none the less is violent crime trends, look at violent crime rates and murder homicide rates:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-1
a slight up tick in recent years but generally speaking a downward trend,
Some more light reading:
https://americangunfacts.com/
Note the concealed carry section
I forgot to remove all those people in mutual combat, suicide or perpetrators killed by LEO /GGWAG in the commissioning of a crime, these numbers are included in the FBI statistics, One site sates"Police killed 1,165" this data should not be included as the perpetrators of a crime are not "victims" And as in mutual combat there should be no victims unless they are innocent bystanders
Interesting reads on this :
https://www.gunownersca.com/2016/08/...minal-records/
its 2016 but statistically relevant if this trend continued through the next 3-4 years as it would show that career criminals are included in the "victim class"
Old 01-04-2020, 12:01 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy1966 View Post
You're human, mistakes happen, and admitting it shows class. It's super annoying when someone is clearly wrong (looking at you Nomad), but continues to make excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
You do realize that death from knife assault or being punched is far more common than death by firearm right?
That's not the case, so, no.

Quote:
Is your stance on firearms violence "really" to do with death rates which as I have pointed out makes no logical sense, or is actually about fear?
This is a survival forum, I take precautions to survive. Whether it's exercising and eating well to prevent heart disease, or prepping to survive a natural or man made disaster.(BTW, sorry that you had so much adversity with the family.)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 122,835 Times in 24,285 Posts

If I wake up brown in Baltimore, then yes. Barring that, however, mass shootings, and gun violence in general, are a mere blip on the radar.

Thus brings to mind the way that many of my friends on the lefternmost end of the political spectrum talk about guns: as though average, everyday people just have some sort of incident in which they simply can't control their anger or frustration and they just shoot someone. You know, as though they aren't really responsible, and it could happen to anyone. Like the 54 year old actuary who pinches pennies and lives a very restrained life and he just picks up a gun one day and shoots the car next to him at a stop light for no apparent reason.

Does that sometimes happen? Well, yes, rarely it does. But the vast majority of gun violence is perpetrated by people with a long and involved history of predictive behaviours. That is to say, behaviouralists and criminologists are really quite adept at spotting the kind of people who commit murder because past performance IS quite predictive if future results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,267 Times in 5,792 Posts

The above is obvious to a thinking person but there are fewer and fewer of them now thanks to urban public school policies and practices.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,439 Posts

As a law-abiding white male, in his 40's with no depression, living where I live, my odds of being killed by a gun are infinitesimal.

I get a bump because of my profession and where I work.

I carry everywhere. It's not a hardship. I also wear a seatbelt and have fire extinguishers in my house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Threepin'

Thanked 6,935 Times in 2,209 Posts
Default US Mass Killings Hit a New High in 2019...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcD View Post
...most were shoottings" https://apnews.com/4441ae68d14e61b64110db44f906af92

Does this resonate with anyone? Will it change your preps? Or due to low statistical probability, no change needed?

Depends how you define “mass shooting.” The media likes to distort all of the stats, which is where we get the “90 a day die from gun violence” lie. That is based on the 33k gun deaths a year stat, 2/3 of which are suicides.

Anti-gunners like to similarly conflate mass shootings with active shooter incidents since one makes the other look way worse. The overwhelming majority of mass shootings are between gang bangers and drug dealers, where two or more people are involved.

Active shooter incidents, like those in Las Vegas or others where someone is actually targeting civilians, are few in number statistically. According to the FBI, there were 20 in 2016, 30 in 2017, and 27 in 2018.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...-2016-2017.pdf

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...018-041019.pdf

All firearms-related homicides a year constitute under 1% of our total deaths every year.

In the very article you posted, regarding 2019, they actually admit the most glaringly obvious fact to anyone with a pulse who cares to even lazily research any of this:

“The majority of the killings involved people who knew each other — family disputes, drug or gang violence or people with beefs that directed their anger at co-workers or relatives.”

“These are still rare events. Clearly the risk is low but the fear is high,” Fox said. “What fuels contagion is fear.”

What helps me not constantly live in fear of a mass shooting? Being as prepared as I can for one by carrying 30 rounds with me everywhere I go, having situational awareness, and knowing how to rapidly get rounds on target should a need to defend myself and my family arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post: