Long term water storage/bleach volume, etc. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurricane Irma After Action Report Jason Demo Manmade and Natural Disasters 42 01-08-2018 06:16 PM
Scenario: You have to hike INTO city after major SHTF Dock Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 176 10-09-2017 04:10 PM
Solar setup Domesticated_Primate Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 04-15-2017 08:35 AM
My First Long Term Bushcraft Camp Black Knight Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 03-13-2017 01:42 PM

Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Long term water storage/bleach volume, etc.

Advertise Here

OK, kinda new here. I have looked carefully through this forum for an answer, but not really seeing it.

My situation is I have purchased the 'Long term water storage 55 gal barrel that Costco sells. It is BPA free, food grade, dark color, etc. I am keeping it in a dark room, no light.
My plan is to have a local lab test my water right out of the tap at present, then I will have lab test the water in barrel in prob 6 months. (Compare any differences)

Can someone just give me what is the ratio of bleach to add to 55 gal of water, just to be prudent? I hear all kinds of random amounts, but looking for something solid.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,873 Posts

Unless you're one of those I-believe-nothing-published-by-any-government-agency types, I'd go with the CDC recommendations:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf..._flyer_508.pdf

Here's the same info from Clorox:
https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/di...rifying-water/

Just make sure you use fresh bleach--it loses strength over time.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 58,468 Times in 20,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadradomus View Post
OK, kinda new here. I have looked carefully through this forum for an answer, but not really seeing it.

My situation is I have purchased the 'Long term water storage 55 gal barrel that Costco sells. It is BPA free, food grade, dark color, etc. I am keeping it in a dark room, no light.
My plan is to have a local lab test my water right out of the tap at present, then I will have lab test the water in barrel in prob 6 months. (Compare any differences)

Can someone just give me what is the ratio of bleach to add to 55 gal of water, just to be prudent? I hear all kinds of random amounts, but looking for something solid.

Thanks!
Got a link so I can look at the barrel? If it's what I think it is you won't need a second lab test.

Get me that link and I'll fill you in all you need to know.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 AM

Thanks![/quote]

Got a link so I can look at the barrel? If it's what I think it is you won't need a second lab test.

Get me that link and I'll fill you in all you need to know.[/QUOTE]

Trouble finding a direct link, but see if this works.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PWHZ1DC..._1505799754966
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 AM

If that link is awkward... just Google Nutristore 55 gal BPA free water barrel.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:51 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

I was talking about the Costco link, but whatever. I just needed to know what kind of barrel and I see you are getting a standard one.

First off, water never goes bad on its own. It can only be contaminated.

As long as you know your tap water is safe right now because you tested it then you just need to sterilize the barrel, fill with safe water, treat it, seal it, and put it in a safe place. It will sit there fine indefinitely until you open it or an outside vector contaminates it.

So let's take this in steps.

1) Verify that your tap water is safe on its own right now with a lab test, or send it through filtration. Lab test will run about $100 and it's good to test your tap water every several years anyway. Or buy something like a Monolithic filter system for $50 to process your tap water and also end up with an emergency filter system for later. Either way gives you something else needed for your money.

2) Sanitize your barrel by taking a cup of bleach and a couple gallons of water sloshing it all around inside, making sure you get all of the inside of the barrel. Rolling it on the lawn is fine to do this. Then drain it and let it air dry in the sun. It may take a couple days to dry, so move it under cover at night so morning dew and dust don't get back in. Make sure the bungs and threads get sanitized too. Buy new bleach for this job.

3) Once dry fill with water where you plan to store it because a full drum is 440 pounds. I'll talk about the right place in a later step.

4) Add 1.4 ounces of bleach to the water in the barrel. That is 8.5 teaspoons or 2.8 tablespoons or 41ml, depending what type of measuring options you have. Then dip the bungs in bowl of bleach and tighten them on the drum. Never let your fingers ever touch the bung threads or drum threads once you dip them and screw them in. Those threads are your biggest outside vector risks when capping this off.

5) Then leave the barrel alone. Don't open it later to look inside or think you need to test it. The water is fine if you did this right and will not change or go bad. The bleach will revert into just salt and water in 6 months but that's good. No more free chlorine risk and the inside is still sanitized.

6) Store the barrel where you get no direct sunlight. Ambient light or indirect sunlight is fine. There can be no storage of aromatic chemicals in the space. No paint, fuels, gardening chemicals, vermin poisons, etc. The plastic is semipermeable to gasses or chemicals that actually touch it. Remember that if you use the basement or garage that you don't use it also for hazardous chemical storage. Remember the weight and be sure the floor can hold it, especially if it is on a floor supported by joists. Don't guess about this. Be doubly sure. Also do not rest it on bare concrete. Efflorescence happens. If in a room with a concrete floor then place the barrel of a square on interior grade unfinished plywood before you fill it.

7) Again, the water is fine if you did all that right, and doesn't need to be rotated. The water will lose free oxygen and will taste flat once you open it for emergency use if you don't aerate it. When you pump it out into smaller containers to carry don't fill them up all the way. First stir or shake the carry container to mix air back into the water. Then it will taste fine.

Questions?

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Iamzeke,

That was the perfect full scale response!
Thank you so much.
Besides the bleach ratio, I learned some other things as well. Looks like i will be emptying my barrel, and going through those steps soon.
Awesome..
The Following User Says Thank You to Quadradomus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,245 Posts

Why air dry in the sun...the inside is sanitary now, and couldn't outside air be letting a virus or bacteria or even small bug in?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadradomus View Post
Iamzeke,

That was the perfect full scale response!
Thank you so much.
Besides the bleach ratio, I learned some other things as well. Looks like i will be emptying my barrel, and going through those steps soon.
Awesome..
Now that you have 6 posts you should see the thanks button on the bottom of all posts. Hit my instruction post with thanks. Then do it for every post that you feel does you some real good from here on out. Might as well learn our culture here while you are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeky View Post
Why air dry in the sun...the inside is sanitary now, and couldn't outside air be letting a virus or bacteria or even small bug in?
The sanitizing mixture has a lot of extra chlorine you do not need to stick around. The amount you add when full takes care of last minute recontamination.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:01 PM

When I was stationed in Turkey back in the early 70's we had to purify our drinking water by adding 5-6 drops of bleach per gallon. One drop equals 0.05 ml, so five drops is0.25ml. 55 gal x 0.25ml = 13.75ml, or in practical terms 1/2 ounce (15 ml)

Cholera was endemic there and the city water system was old and had leaky joints due to numerous earthquakes and tremors, so we treated all water.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkingrph For This Useful Post: