Starting over on survival library - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Dismember

Thanked 3,332 Times in 921 Posts
Default Starting over on survival library

Advertise Here

Over the years I've stored a good bit of survival information. A lot of it is really bad in terms of 2020. A lot of it is bad economy, wrong, stupid, and even dangerous. My survival grocery list from 15 years ago is still being re-posted around the net. It's garbage.

Recommendations for things like buying dang pinto beans are ubiquitous, and I don't want my grandchildren buying explosive purification chemicals when I done be ded.

I guess I'll use thumb drives, and the tablet and old laptop I have in a small Farraday'ed trashcan.

I intend to start filtering categories with my own knowledge, and the posts of a few people on this board who are reliable sources. One of them has an extensive electronic library which they keep private, due to liability issues, (I won't expose them, lest RIP their inbox). Lacking that gold nugget as a baseline, I'll do it piecemeal.

I am open to suggestions for information, technique, software, and hardware. Yes, ppl, I know about the stickies, but much of that has become dated, like the rest of the info on the net.

TIA
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,854 Times in 1,683 Posts

Good plan. We have all made mistakes starting out and learned from them. We have also I'm sure given out bad advise here and there. In fact I still have a 1/2 full bucket of rice and pinto beans still in the store plastic that I bought during at outdate sale that's over 10 years old that I keep as a reminder.

The only thing that doesn't get redone is my wife's binders of recipes that use a lot of staples like cornmeal and have lot's of the old rationing recipes in them showing substitutions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,544 Times in 12,619 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Moved from the food section to disaster prep general section

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 57,115 Times in 19,822 Posts

Thumb drives have really gotten big of late and I do keep my digital library on some, but they only plug into larger electronics. Micro SD cards are better for handheld electronic readers. Best quality Sandisk Ultra cards now sell for $15 or less for a 64 gig card. They almost give away the cheaper house brands as door prizes gimmies now. 64gig is a whole lot of PDF data. I have 10 thousand books and other research articles on just 32 gig cards.

If if you get it all on 32gig cards then do that, because older affordable readers that are lower power usage seem to have been made at a time when they never envisioned anything larger than 32gig. Since after a disaster people will be hunting for working readers then it might be wise to use cards that work well with legacy gear.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Prepared

I'm a firm believer in 1800's tech. If the power is lost computers don't work. I'd go with books and three ring binders for a survival library.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Prepared

I like the first half dozen or so of the Foxfire books. They're about how poor people in Appalachia survive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 45,415 Times in 13,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
I'm a firm believer in 1800's tech. If the power is lost computers don't work. I'd go with books and three ring binders for a survival library.
the expense and space for storage can potentially be a concern there, but if you can manage, i'd consider that ideal. a cheap 128GB thumb drive can store nearly every worthwhile word of text man has ever written, and that's good for bugging out i suppose, but i like a hard copy backup.

but it's a lot of work and paper/ink ain't free

some books you're better off buying a used copy than trying to print off yourself strictly from a $$ standpoint.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Survivor

depending on how much space you want to use up, you can download a tarball of wikipedia itself, with or without images/media
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
Over the years I've stored a good bit of survival information. A lot of it is really bad in terms of 2020. A lot of it is bad economy, wrong, stupid, and even dangerous. My survival grocery list from 15 years ago is still being re-posted around the net. It's garbage.
You make a good point. I found my way onto a relatively old prepper website (predates Y2K, but they've kept the info updated periodically) and some of the advice is really stellar, the things this guy is an expert on, he's really an expert on.

But there are some other things he talks about where he says stuff that I know is wrong, and falls into a pitfall many do sometimes, thinking because they're an expert on a few things they have to set themselves forward as an expert on everything. And then people who don't know any better take it all as gospel.

You gotta sift through it. But there's some good nuggets of wisdom to be found out there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
But tablets, readers, and notebooks do work if you have affordable recharge gear.

Those who already owns a portable Android or Apple iOS device are legion. Even many smart phones have a micro SD port.

A 32gid micro SD card and a Goal Zero charger can be done for under $100.

A tablet or phone, a solar charger, and a selection of SD cards can fit in a pants side cargo pocket or a shaving kit bag. That's smaller than one single 3 ring binder and holds a lot more than a thousand binders worth of info.

Hey, I keep an entire room full of good books at home. I like real books a lot. I'm a legit book hoarder and I pity whomever gets stuck with hauling them away after my demise. But that in no way means I'm tied at the hip to them in an emergency. My biggest go kit for information is a simple 5.56 ammo box with about 5 crucial specialty reference real books, my solar charger, several battery packs, a few cables, my micro data library, and a couple older B&W older low power readers. That one small ammo box is smaller than a shoe box and has more in it than any public library system anywhere has real books on hand. I could literally reconstruct modern society with it with all I need to teach everything from preschool up to every technical masters degree curriculum at once. Pick any state college and take away all their info resources and I can put it back from a box smaller than a shoebox.

Don't knock modern tech in a disaster until you've tried it.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.

Last edited by IamZeke; 12-04-2019 at 02:42 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
But tablets, readers, and notebooks do work if you have affordable recharge gear.

Those who already owns a portable Android or Apple iOS device are legion. Even many smart phones have a micro SD port.

A 32gid micro SD card and a Goal Zero charger can be done for under $100.

A tablet or phone, a solar charger, and a selection of SD cards can fit in a pants side cargo pocket or a shaving kit bag. That's smaller than one single 3 ring binder and holds a lot more than a thousand binders worth of info.

Hey, I keep an entire room full of good books at home. I like real books a lot. I'm a legit book hoarder and I pity whomever gets stuck with hauling them away after my demise. But that in no way means I'm tied at the hip to them in an emergency. My biggest go kit for information is a simple 5.56 ammo box with about 5 crucial specialty reference real books, my solar charger, several battery packs, a few cables, my micro data library, and a couple older B&W older low power readers. That one small ammo box is smaller than a shoe box and has more in it than any public library system anywhere has real books on hand. I could literally reconstruct modern society with it with all I need to teach everything from preschool up to every technical masters degree curriculum at once. Pick any state college and take away all their info resources and I can put it back from a box smaller than a shoebox.

Don't knock modern tech in a disaster until you've tried it.
well i mean, we can hardly blame someone for concluding that modern electronics might be vulnerable

i think the obvious answer is to do both
Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,529 Posts

If you are looking for software to manage that library, I cannot recommend Calibre enough. It is the best digital library management software I've seen.

https://calibre-ebook.com/

It's completely free.

You can have multiple libraries on there, and easily switch between them. So you could have a survival library and then a normal library (or maybe a kids book library, etc.).

By default, it will automatically copy new resources into a master directory. So then if you want to back it up, just copy that.

Sorting/finding books is easy. If the book has the info in it, it will automatically fill in data like author, title, publisher, etc., but is also easily editable, either individually or in bulk. You can also give books tags, a single one or multiple, and then the book will appear under each tag you gave it. For example, maybe you wanted to tag a book on cooking while camping as both a cookbook and under camping.

You can have multiple versions (epub, mobi, pdf, doc, etc.) and combine them into one title with 4 different versions, so that your library isn't cluttered.

I've got over 2400 books in my library, and it is not slow at all.

Another thing I really love about it is that you can easily and quickly transfer books to your Kindle. Now the Kindle app is not free (it's less than $4). But it allows you to select whatever books you want from the library on your computer and transfer them wirelessly to your Kindle.

One of the other useful features is that you can add any file - not just book formats. For example, I have another smaller library with some role playing game materials. Not only could I add the pdf's of the books, but I can add images and even sound files, and then catalog them if I want, just as if they were a book. You wouldn't use this as an image viewer or an audio player, but it's useful for keeping those files organized - say you had a book on making a camp stove, and you could keep with it a jpg image and even a short video showing how.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
well i mean, we can hardly blame someone for concluding that modern electronics might be vulnerable

i think the obvious answer is to do both
Exactly.

Modern electronics are vulnerable to EMP and books are vulnerable to flooding and fire.

Must have been a million books ruined and tossed in my part of town when hurricane Harvey rolled through a couple years ago.

Redundancy is where the survival magic happens.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,772 Times in 3,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
If you are looking for software to manage that library, I cannot recommend Calibre enough. It is the best digital library management software I've seen.

https://calibre-ebook.com/

It's completely free.

You can have multiple libraries on there, and easily switch between them. So you could have a survival library and then a normal library (or maybe a kids book library, etc.).

By default, it will automatically copy new resources into a master directory. So then if you want to back it up, just copy that.

Sorting/finding books is easy. If the book has the info in it, it will automatically fill in data like author, title, publisher, etc., but is also easily editable, either individually or in bulk. You can also give books tags, a single one or multiple, and then the book will appear under each tag you gave it. For example, maybe you wanted to tag a book on cooking while camping as both a cookbook and under camping.

You can have multiple versions (epub, mobi, pdf, doc, etc.) and combine them into one title with 4 different versions, so that your library isn't cluttered.

I've got over 2400 books in my library, and it is not slow at all.

Another thing I really love about it is that you can easily and quickly transfer books to your Kindle. Now the Kindle app is not free (it's less than $4). But it allows you to select whatever books you want from the library on your computer and transfer them wirelessly to your Kindle.

One of the other useful features is that you can add any file - not just book formats. For example, I have another smaller library with some role playing game materials. Not only could I add the pdf's of the books, but I can add images and even sound files, and then catalog them if I want, just as if they were a book. You wouldn't use this as an image viewer or an audio player, but it's useful for keeping those files organized - say you had a book on making a camp stove, and you could keep with it a jpg image and even a short video showing how.

Labeling each catalogued book/dvd/etc. with a library label, and then shelving properly, is the other side of the equation to keep track of your materials. If you don't like library labels, or don't want the expense, print the Library of Congress (LOC) cataloging/shelving number in pencil on the inside front or rear cover. Or whichever system you're cataloging under. Since you have a small private library with few/only one user(s), this should be sufficient to keep stuff organized. If you really need a little more prompting, manilla folders with major LOC divisions sticking out from among the books at the appropriate places can be helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,772 Times in 3,595 Posts

If I could only have one book in hard-copy, it would be a Bible. I like the Henry Morris Study Bible, but if I have to di-di-mao, then an itty bitty Bible double-wrapped in Zip locs is much more practical (portability and hidability).

If there were room for a few more hard-copy books, I'd include a hymnal.

Electronic duplication of your favorite Bible version and hymnal in pdf format. There are also multi-media electronic formats. I like the audible dramatized KJV Bible (Scourby), and the CDs/mp3s that are available for hymns and liturgies. This way, no instrument is needed to accompany worship/home devotions, but there is music available. And an audible Bible or hymnal is nice to play when you need to take a break from taking care of/reading to someone, or you have to go do a necessary task.

I try to download the pdf for every Kindle, etc. book I have since pdf is a lot more universal. And, I'm working getting an electronic copy of every important hard-copy book I have.

A lot of religious material is available online free... and many free and paid Bible software programs/apps out there (some with free resources).

Redundancy in information/data/records... like having multiple ways to make fire or make water potable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

One print book only?

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Ref-4t.../dp/1885071620

Until you see one you won't understand. Fits in your shirt top pocket.

Anyone who actually passed their science and math classes in highschool will be floored by seeing it.

Know those nerds on Mythbusters? They both keep a copy close at hand.

Don't quibble or stall about getting a copy. Just do it.

The only catch is you'll never buy just one in your life. These get legs very fast. I've given away or had stolen about a dozen of them until I convinced my boss to order them from the factory embossed for company giveaways. Those little books at $10 a pop have likely landed me a dozen million dollar projects when I leave one for the CEO I'm bidding a job on for. Salesmen and small business owners looking for corporate giveaways that really make an impact should look into a custom batch.

Here's the Wiki on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Ref

Custom batches can be ordered here: http://www.sequoiapublishing.com/home.html

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,419 Times in 1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
One print book only?

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Ref-4t.../dp/1885071620

Until you see one you won't understand. Fits in your shirt top pocket.

Anyone who actually passed their science and math classes in highschool will be floored by seeing it.

Know those nerds on Mythbusters? They both keep a copy close at hand.

Don't quibble or stall about getting a copy. Just do it.

The only catch is you'll never buy just one in your life. These get legs very fast. I've given away or had stolen about a dozen of them until I convinced my boss to order them from the factory embossed for company giveaways. Those little books at $10 a pop have likely landed me a dozen million dollar projects when I leave one for the CEO I'm bidding a job on for. Salesmen and small business owners looking for corporate giveaways that really make an impact should look into a custom batch.

Here's the Wiki on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Ref

Custom batches can be ordered here: http://www.sequoiapublishing.com/home.html
Yup. I've been using those for years! Back when I was in construction that book made me look much smarter than I actually was.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
Yup. I've been using those for years! Back when I was in construction that book made me look much smarter than I actually was.
You don't have to know everything. You just have to know where to find it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Survivor

Yep I've got that pocket ref, that's a lot of info in a small package.

They also make a auto version of it.

Wish they made a lot more of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,039 Times in 2,230 Posts

Image and sound files can take a surprising amount of space. You can quickly top off devices though multi gb cards alleviate that. You shoyld have multiple copies too as cards are not forever and get lost, too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post: