homeless people,I dont owe them anything - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,396 Times in 3,677 Posts
Default homeless people,I dont owe them anything

Advertise Here

Maybe im just getting old and cranky, But I could NOT care less about homeless people,the powers that be keep raising taxes to build affordable housing, while we the tax payer get hosed. The vast majority of homeless are addicted to alcohol and or drugs, they dont want to work and have no jobs so how could they PAY for affordable housing??? today they closed the main entrance to the seattle courthouse because the employee,s have been getting mugged by the homeless,who defecate on the streets sidewalks buisness doorways,homeless camps are full of stolen stuff, and when the city comes to close the camps they offer $14.00 an hour for the homeless to help clean up the mess, acording to the media, the homeless just walk away and move into a vacant lot down the road.
This is crazy,billions of tax $ is just wasted Im at the point now that i dont care if they freeze or are hungry or anything else about them. That said we are looking at the future. And throwing $ at the problem is only going to make it worse. JMO
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 03:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,188 Times in 1,342 Posts

Jim, I feel for ya,...……………………
But, there is a reason they are there...…………
The people, voted in your city leaders, who allow this to happen..
Hey, we got the same kinda leadership in Austin...……
And guess what ? We got the same set of problems...……
It's pretty much self inflicted...……….
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:31 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 25,998 Times in 9,356 Posts

Gubernment Is the problem not the solution. Workfare not welfare. How come it costs more to keep people in prison than to send them to Harvard.

Prison Industrial Complex. Prison builders, guards, judges, clerks, lawyers, pre-sentence investigators, parole officers, shrinks ...

Want free food, meds, place to stay... then be sterilized or get a job.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,711 Times in 6,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
Maybe im just getting old and cranky, But I could NOT care less about homeless people,the powers that be keep raising taxes to build affordable housing, while we the tax payer get hosed. The vast majority of homeless are addicted to alcohol and or drugs, they dont want to work and have no jobs so how could they PAY for affordable housing??? today they closed the main entrance to the seattle courthouse because the employee,s have been getting mugged by the homeless,who defecate on the streets sidewalks buisness doorways,homeless camps are full of stolen stuff, and when the city comes to close the camps they offer $14.00 an hour for the homeless to help clean up the mess, acording to the media, the homeless just walk away and move into a vacant lot down the road.
This is crazy,billions of tax $ is just wasted Im at the point now that i dont care if they freeze or are hungry or anything else about them. That said we are looking at the future. And throwing $ at the problem is only going to make it worse. JMO
We have the exact same issues in CA and I'm here to tell you you are not looking at the whole picture. Your politicians don't want the money to end homelessness. They want it to pay back the people who elected them.

Joe Blow's engineering and construction firm donated 12 million to politician A. Politician A is now elected and has to do Joe Blow and his firm a favor for the money. He awards Joe Blow the contract to build homeless shelters that cost 5X the normal cost to build the same structure.

You starting to see the scam? CA has spent billions (with a B) over many years to house homeless and very few are actually housed.

There was a time when churches and charity groups took care of the homeless. The gov. saw there was money to be had and assed them out of the game.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,169 Times in 9,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
And throwing $ at the problem is only going to make it worse. JMO
Yet that's the crux of the Democrat and Republican parties....

Throw some more money at it and it'll go away
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,986 Times in 1,960 Posts

I've worked with "the homeless" off and on for over 2 decades. To lump them all together is a massive oversimplification and willful ignorance. The elderly whose retirement plans fell apart are different than the punk street kids. The vets with severe ptsd are different from the people with illness that broke them physically and financially. The Vietnam vets that lived in the caves outside Glenwood Springs are different from the dirty hippies that lived in shanty towns outside of Telluride.

One thing that "most" have in common is mental illness. If they didn't have it already, living on the streets creates it. Myself and most advocates I've worked with would agree that the policies of liberal politicians create situations where those who don't want help are enabled at the expense of everyone else.

Beyond that, I can't join yall in looking down your nose at millions of people based on one superficial trait. Seen enough to know that some are good, some are bad, most are somewhere in between, and in all cases I thank God I'm not them because "but for the grace of God go I".
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,626 Times in 4,928 Posts

I'm lucky to have had a roof over my head all my life and it was a hustle to keep it that way at times. The problem is getting worse from what I see, plenty of drugs around, booze is cheap and most homeless have a game that keeps them fed and into whatever else they like. They are the bottom-rung of recyclers and this is actually beneficial in keeping things off the streets. There should be a way to keep some of the more industrious ones busy with work.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,577 Times in 972 Posts

Maybe the op is confusing the homeless with the lawless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,188 Times in 1,342 Posts

Redsmell------ Nobody, is necessarily calling out the homeless...…
So, get off, your self righteous high horse...………..
So far, the only people I see being called-out...…..
Are the politicians, who allow this crap to go on...…..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,407 Times in 9,957 Posts

Homeless people arenít homeless... they are houseless. With no house, they will make their homes on the court house steps or the entrance way to your store or the bench in the park where your kids play.

Money spent to end homelessness isnít for THEIR benefit. Itís to let us have our public spaces back... weíre just doing it wrong. Many homeless folks have mental illnesses and addictions. We need to spend more money on public mental health care so that our streets and jails arenít the default mental wards.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 AM
This space for rent

Thanked 2,886 Times in 908 Posts

yeah the demorats in congress want to impeach 45 more than they want to help out the homeless
funny how most of these issues (Violent crime, drug addiction, homelessness, under performing schools, urban blight, crumbling infrastructure, welfare, unemployment, etc etc.etc. ad nauseum.) seem to be rooted in the home districts of democratic congressmen. Hmm?
Hows that voting democrat for decades working for ya?
Yeah, i guess not. If they could get teir collective heads out of their behinds and focus on the real problems for their constituents maybe this would't be such a problem.
So
we got us a homeless problem.
Why are the democrats bringing in millions more illegal aliens to their "sanctuary cities" if theres already thousands living in boxes on the steps of city hall?
One problem at a time
Oh wait I hear the argument "its not that simple"
uhh yeah it is.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big Andy1966 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,800 Times in 13,234 Posts

ONE POINT FOUR MILLION Veterans rely on food stamps
https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...g-thousands-in
There are over 630,000 homeless people in America. 67,495 are veterans. 1 in 10 homeless people in America are veterans.
https://themilitarywallet.com/homele...ns-in-america/
Imagine the outrage if I said I didn't owe veterans anything!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,257 Times in 3,005 Posts

Homelessness is by far due to mental illness and people with mental problems have the right to be homeless. Forcing taxpayers to fund them is wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,392 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
I've worked with "the homeless" off and on for over 2 decades. To lump them all together is a massive oversimplification and willful ignorance. The elderly whose retirement plans fell apart are different than the punk street kids. The vets with severe ptsd are different from the people with illness that broke them physically and financially. The Vietnam vets that lived in the caves outside Glenwood Springs are different from the dirty hippies that lived in shanty towns outside of Telluride.

One thing that "most" have in common is mental illness. If they didn't have it already, living on the streets creates it. Myself and most advocates I've worked with would agree that the policies liberal politicians create situations where those who don't want help are enabled at the expense of everyone else.

Beyond that, I can't join yall in looking down your nose at millions of people based on one superficial trait. Seen enough to know that some are good, some are bad, most are somewhere in between, and in all cases I thank God I'm not them because "for the grace of God go I".
Ill add that alcohol abuse and drug abuse are often attempts to self medicate for mental illness.

There are tiers of homeless from families that just need a little help to people that are going to die on the street. Solutions for one wont work for others.

For the people at the bottom, I recommend tent cities that allow them to be drunk do drugs, but offer help if they decide to take it. Tent cities are inexpensive and can keep the homeless of the street and at least provide a safer environment.

Drugs should be legal, heroin, cocaine, crack etc. People should be able to make their own choices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,502 Times in 7,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Imagine the outrage if I said I didn't owe veterans anything!
I'm a veteran.

You don't owe me crap, so quit spouting nonsense.

The vets you are talking about don't need your money as much as they need you and the other leftist people like you to STOP playing your games, and get over your self imposed stupidity about mental health.

We NEED mental institutions. Some of the homeless NEED to be involuntarily put in those facilities, either for treatment, or to prevent further criminal activity AND to get treatment.

The rest NEED to have some sort of help and care BEYOND just basic shelter available.

The only outrage I feel is when some leftist tool uses veterans to make a point that isn't even valid.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Prepared

Who's running these cities, anyway?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,655 Times in 1,112 Posts

many years back two homeless guys were camped out in a falling down house. then it started to rain. there was one dry spot, and homeless guy 1 had it. homeless guy 2 wanted it. out came the knives, and who is to say a more epic battle was ever fought?

one homeless guy lived, one died

the headlines read "Drifter kills homeless man". the thing is, if who lived and who died traded places, the headline would have read "Drifter kills homeless man".

the homeless are harmless, per the narrative. ergo, the homeless man with the knife who killed the homeless man with the knife got relabeled a drifter. drifters and transients can do harm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,502 Times in 7,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
For the people at the bottom, I recommend tent cities that allow them to be drunk do drugs, but offer help if they decide to take it. Tent cities are inexpensive and can keep the homeless of the street and at least provide a safer environment.
Safer for who? And how do you keep those people "in" the tent city? Big fences around the area? Maybe put the tent city in the desert 200 miles from a town?

Sounds like you are advocating an "Escape From New York" scenario.

I'm not against the idea of "giving" them a place to self destruct. I'm just wondering how we rationalize it, and how we actually make it work.

I mean...sure, it's theoretically "good" to give them the freedom to live as they want. But...is it "good" to simply do nothing for them, except allow them to commit slow suicide? Maybe provide the ways and means; like drop in boxes of heavy drugs and needles, to make things go faster? It would cost less. Could be argued that it's more humane.

Is it a voluntary thing, or do we round them up and put people in the "camps" once they've been arrested for something like vagrancy or public urination while high 5 or 10 times?

You see the issues, I'm sure.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

We got so many panhandlers on freeway exits. Some bring a dog.

Their problem, not mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM
タロン

Thanked 1,139 Times in 360 Posts

Do we really think that all of these folks in these tent cities that are popping up all over the country just all of a sudden started making poor decisions?? The root of the problem is the economy that doesn't work for the working class anymore, and not that millions of people decided to become lazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blunky For This Useful Post: