Interesting Muzzle Brake - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,713 Times in 7,717 Posts
Default Interesting Muzzle Brake

Advertise Here

I came across this last night while poking around on YouTube. Looks interesting. The cool part about it is it appears to eliminate maybe 70+% of rifle recoil. Though I wouldn't think it would be an every day brake, it looks like it would be good for zeroing, competition shooting and that cool factor. Thoughts?..

This particular one is for AK's, but they make them fir AR's and such..

https://precisionarmament.com/produc...7-compensator/

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,270 Times in 3,008 Posts

I would love to have one put on my H&R .45-70.

Safety glasses are mandatory!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,974 Times in 3,876 Posts

Triple baffle? I have a single baffle on a 7.62x39 and it works like a champ. For 99 bucks I don't think you can go wrong. There's not much rise to the 7.62x39 and a good muzzle break will tame what little there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,943 Times in 1,955 Posts

BCM MOD 0 comp is my favorite. Not as much recoil reduction as some of these larger breaks, but there's no noticeable increase in concussion or flash and it's the same size and weight as an A2 bird cage. Plus it's open and easy to clean out should it get caked with mud or debris.
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMG...-mod-0-556.htm

If you really need more recoil reduction the Griffin M4SD is the best I've tried that doesn't have obnoxious concussion or flash.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/m4sd...-2x28-threads/
The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 34,590 Times in 8,828 Posts

I manufactured muzzle brakes for a while. I used Stainless and tool steel. Mine sold in the $85-$95 range. I found that the brake below is a great performer and substantially cheaper. I buy them in bulk and install them on customers rifles.

I've installed them on 300 H&H Mag, 30-06, 308, 6.5 creedmoor, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

I've also installed them on all my large cal bolt rifles and my AK's and RPK. I turned and rethreaded the AK barrels to 1/2x28.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Steel-2...gAAOSws65dpkch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Survivor

Paul, they don't make them with the 14x1 LH thread for AK's?

Edit: Never mind, they do..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Paul, they don't make them with the 14x1 LH thread for AK's?

Edit: Never mind, they do..
I just threaded my barrels to 1/2 -28 for convenience.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Survivor

I picked one up for $20. Should be fun to play with..
Old 10-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
You won’t be disappointed and you saved some folding money.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Survivor

Going completely off topic, but where is the best place to pick up an extractor claw?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Going completely off topic, but where is the best place to pick up an extractor claw?
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/A...-NEW-p1578.htm
Old 10-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanks! I saw that website, but I wasn't sure it was legit. If you recommend it, it must be..

I'll order a couple tomorrow..
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Quote:
Thanks! I saw that website, but I wasn't sure it was legit. If you recommend it, it must be..

I'll order a couple tomorrow..
They’re good people. I’ve used them for a long time.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,084 Times in 4,488 Posts

Quote:
I came across this last night while poking around on YouTube. Looks interesting. The cool part about it is it appears to eliminate maybe 70+% of rifle recoil. Though I wouldn't think it would be an every day brake, it looks like it would be good for zeroing, competition shooting and that cool factor. Thoughts?..

Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty Compensator Review - YouTube
It looks rather immature. By that, I mean it could use a lot of refinement, and it's also not necessarily good for anything BUT being a comp. I prefer the Surefire option.

1) It has some refinement in the geometry to mitigate some of the pressure in the side-blast. In 5.56 caliber, I believe Surefire reps have demonstrated this with a hand held about 8-10" away from the sides. I would NOT recommend this, but it has been done. The internal profile of the chambers "breaks up" some of the "jet" to the side.

2) They make a "warden" for it that turns it into a Krink type affair and mitigates all side-blast for training purposes.

3) It works as a suppressor mount.

4) It's really, really effective. This is me running it on an SR25 ACC (about a 7.3# rifle, .308) using MK319 SOST ammunition. All hits were on paper.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:

Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty Compensator Review - YouTube
Nice brakes, we like them on .308. Reviewer is pretty spot on though as to what types of uses a rifle with them on would be good for. And not good for.

I couldn't imagine a hallway shoot with one. Without ears would likely be concussive, like that guy on that prepper "reality" TV show whom had a rifle shot next to his head inside of a lookout tower.

Here is a rather well done review of various .308 brakes (including the M4-72), all done using the reviewers same reasonable & understandable scientific method. Worth a look see.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Good video. Seems they all do a pretty good job of reducing recoil approximately 50-60ish percent. Also the winner was the one I posted in my OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Survivor

I know this is captain obvious, but wow, what a difference that muzzle brake makes. I put them on two rifles and the one with the milled receiver (which is heavier) is a real sweetie now. And, one with the stamped receiver isn't too far behind it..
Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
You found a Precision Armament M4-72 for $20?! How? Where? I purchased one through a sale at Brownells and my LE discount and I still paid about $70. I got it for my 308 bolt action... I havent installed it yet. Have two other rifles that have recieved upgraded optics that I need to sight it first. The M4-72 is rated as the absolute best grake for 308 in terms of mitigating muzzle rise and recoil in nearly every comparative review I've seen.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
It looks rather immature. By that, I mean it could use a lot of refinement, and it's also not necessarily good for anything BUT being a comp. I prefer the Surefire option.

1) It has some refinement in the geometry to mitigate some of the pressure in the side-blast. In 5.56 caliber, I believe Surefire reps have demonstrated this with a hand held about 8-10" away from the sides. I would NOT recommend this, but it has been done. The internal profile of the chambers "breaks up" some of the "jet" to the side.

2) They make a "warden" for it that turns it into a Krink type affair and mitigates all side-blast for training purposes.

3) It works as a suppressor mount.

4) It's really, really effective. This is me running it on an SR25 ACC (about a 7.3# rifle, .308) using MK319 SOST ammunition. All hits were on paper.

SR25 ACC - YouTube
Which Surefire brake are you talking about? I have the SFMB-556 on one of my AR's. It is fantastic in my opinion, but there are ALOT of effective brakes for 556. If they make one for 308 I'm curious as to how similar in design they are. I can't imagine what works well for a dinky 556 would work well for a 308.
Also where did you read that the warden works as a krinkov style brake? Someone is being deceptive. Look at a legit krinkov style brake and then a warden and tell me if you think they are in any way similar. Krinkov's work by increasing back pressure for cycling an AK or some AR15 SBR's. The only 2 legit Krinkov types that I know are the Spikes Barking Spider and PWS CQB. The PWS is a decently complex design that not only increases back pressure, but allows for more complete burning of powder (reducing flash) and mitigating muzzle rise.. not so much with recoil... obviously.. the warden is a straight up blast forwarding device... its placement defeats all of the benefits of the brake...
My point is... the Surefire brake is not the "do it all" device it claims to be. Head to head I would bet that the Surefire is far less capable than the M4-72. In fact I've seen head to head. I'll include a link or two. However, it also works as a mount (although it and Surefires suppressors are about double the cost of their competitors with less effective attributes). From nearly every comparison I've read... the M4-72 is unmatched... and Surefire isnt even close... if you're going for the suppressor mount/brake I would be willing to bet that both AAC and Gemtech make better brakes/suppresor mounts. In addition their brakes cost at least 30% less and their suppressors are as much as 40% less.
I bought my SF brake back before I got heavy into researching this stuff. I'm not saying its bad.. but there are far better options for alot less. I'm far from a cheap skate and I am happy to pay top dollar for the best... but Surefire isnt the best in any category, yet is the most expensive.
From my research
#1 brake for 308 is M4-72
#1 brake/muzzle device for SBR is PWS CQB
Obviously that is only if you are not planning a suppressor. I just didnt see a huge value when using supersonic ammo. I'll likely start researching brake/mount options when I complete my 300blk upper.

References
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-...-compensators/

http://www.minutemanreview.com/best-ar-10-muzzle-brake/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rake-test/amp/
Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
You found a Precision Armament M4-72 for $20?! How? Where? I purchased one through a sale at Brownells and my LE discount and I still paid about $70. I got it for my 308 bolt action... I havent installed it yet. Have two other rifles that have recieved upgraded optics that I need to sight it first. The M4-72 is rated as the absolute best grake for 308 in terms of mitigating muzzle rise and recoil in nearly every comparative review I've seen.
No, it was one of the ones Paul had posted in the link. Wish I could find a Precision for $20. There is/was a Precision on eBay for about $60 though. Brand new. Don't recall if it was for an AR or AK.

Edit: And by the way, the $20 is very well made. I got more than my money's worth on that one..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post: