Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Advertise Here

Kangaroos are basically suicidal. You don't want to hit one of those at speed without a bull bar.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,935 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
A heavy duty bumper is only ever going to protect you from a minor impact. But it may be the difference between getting towed away and driving away from the minor impact.

The truth is that most vehicles are little more than plastic wrap and tinfoil, designed to keep the occupants alive but not to survive any kind of impact themselves. There is very little of substance in any of them to attach a bumper to.
DEFINE "Minor impact"

I had a HD Westin on my Chevy 4x4 2500 and hit and killed 5 caribou, weighing in at an average of about 350lbs apiece with impact speed of about 30-35mph.
I was sliding on the ice road trying to stop and the caribou herd of about 60 animals was running full speed down the road against my traffic. AT NIGHT...They are stupid and have no idea what a vehicle is that far north. The impact sprung the Westin so it twisted a little and one of the caribou got through the guard and "beaked" the plastic grill with its nose. That cost $200 to replace the grill work. The Westin was $600. Without the guard that truck would still be sitting up in the Quebec wilderness sitting by the roadside because it would have cost more to tow it out than fix it.
The truck itself other than the plastic suffered no damage.

After I gave them the facts the ins company was more than glad to pay for the Westin.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 14,031 Times in 4,512 Posts

Quote:
DEFINE "Minor impact"
Caribou at 35 MPH

Or similar. Not trees, or horses, or other cars, or much of anything at highway speeds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of heavy duty bumpers, but they are not nearly as tough as they look as there really isn't the kind of frame in any consumer vehicles to really do an HD bumper justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Caribou at 35 MPH

Or similar. Not trees, or horses, or other cars, or much of anything at highway speeds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of heavy duty bumpers, but they are not nearly as tough as they look as there really isn't the kind of frame in any consumer vehicles to really do an HD bumper justice.
5 caribou running between 350-400lbs.. weigh more than the average horse or cow... Granted it is not hitting a tree or a house but the physics for impacts are the same I know everyone in our group was amazed when they surveyed the lack of damage as we cleared the dead caribou off the roadway.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
5 caribou running between 350-400lbs.. weigh more than the average horse or cow... Granted it is not hitting a tree or a house but the physics for impacts are the same I know everyone in our group was amazed when they surveyed the lack of damage as we cleared the dead caribou off the roadway.
Umm...the average cow weighs 1600lbs......caribou at 35 mph are small potatoes.....I really don't know what your point is....being protected from minor impacts is a GOOD THING. I am 100% behind heavy bumpers. (literally)

I've also seen a lot of major impacts with so equipped vehicles and the vehicles where still destroyed. Just because they won't protect you from everything though is no strike against them.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,730 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Umm...the average cow weighs 1600lbs......caribou at 35 mph are small potatoes.....I really don't know what your point is....being protected from minor impacts is a GOOD THING. I am 100% behind heavy bumpers. (literally)

I've also seen a lot of major impacts with so equipped vehicles and the vehicles where still destroyed. Just because they won't protect you from everything though is no strike against them.
It doesn't take much of a deer at highway speed to destroy one of today's modern vehicles. Case in point: I got lucky that I was still mobile when responding code to a motorcycle wreck in a Quick Response Vehicle (2007 Ford Expedition). Four deer ran across the road in front of me. The fifth didn't make it. Basically tore off the right front corner of the rig. It was still mobile, but from then on I've asked our department to upgrade to some good cow-catcher bumpers on all our ambulances and chase rigs.

I'm working on getting one for my own rig, due to the late Thursday evening trips we take out of town to get to our BOL for the long weekends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Big bumper ? -- I dont need no big bumper - LOL

Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Big bumper ? -- I dont need no big bumper - LOL

NICE Jeep.

I prefer a little more protection on the front.
I have handled too many accidents where deer decided to take on vehicles.. both lose big time. I like having enough protection that I can probably drive away after the incident.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Abnormality biased.

I have always wondered how well those metal grills on jeeps hold up. As far as I can tell they are the only ones who still use metal grills on anything less than about 40 years old.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:18 AM
I love this forum

The YJ is just sheet metal with long holes / slots ----- crap ----- but not as crappy as plastic --

I've seen thicker metal slotted grills that just bolt or screw on over the stock grill -- better-ish I guess ?

"Damage Multipliers" -- should be avoided just because they'll make any good hit ---- worse --
Old 10-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Born 120 years too late.

THE FRONT of the LJ

NEVER have too much protection or too much light.

THE XJ... same thing. Never too much light or protection

Old 10-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,739 Times in 3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
local body shop calls those frame benders

around here people who actually push cattle with bull bars use Ranch King brand

https://bumpersuperstore.com/c-96472...anch-king.html

crew cab dually long wheelbase F350 with a diesel and a Ranch King bull bar is the automotive equivalent of 5'8 Hispanic male with tattoos and a muscle shirt in central NM. you have not narrowed the field much with that description
Big bumpers help in a crash too...

Never heard of "Ranch King" but I had a "Ranch Hand" bumper on my F250. It took out a deer with zero damage to truck. However, I wanted to mount a winch, so a couple years later I had changed it to a Road Armor bumper. Before I could get the winch, that one got tested big time. I had a seizure coming home from a VA appointment about 3 years back. took out a telephone pole, and went into a seed company warehouse where the truck was buried in tons of soybeans. They did take me to the hospital, but just to check me out from having the seizure. I would have been hurt pretty bad without that big bumper.

Snapped the telephone pole like a twig.

Powerlines came down and cut off my camper shell.

Seed company about a mile down the road.

Bumper survived. (saving me as well)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,421 Times in 5,835 Posts

Down south they need to worry about feral hogs on the roads. Several guys at our plants have hit hogs; some multiple times. Those tend to be low and go under the car. So they mention it in the plant safety meetings.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Target Shooter

Used to put the bars on my ambulances. Not because of the protection against damage costs per se, but because you could still finish the mission if you bagged a buck. Fairly deep roadside ditches were common and my instructions to my crews were to hit the deer if they had to rather than try to evade and end wheels up in the ditch 15 feet below road level. In the latter instance you wouldn't be helping anyone.

RR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

I put a big bumper on the front of my truck to mount my winch on...

Technically it is just the back bumper of a small Mazda pickup put on the front of my truck upside down and a piece of trailer frame notched to fit over the metal mounts and welded in place to give me enough flat area to mount the winch. The open cavities in the upside down bumper also give me a good place to set the winch controller into while I am working with it.

A bit redneck I suppose but it took me a grand total of 20 minutes and no money to find all the parts here on the farm and build it and it has worked great for the last 6 years. It certainly gets some interesting looks from people driving by me though... lol... I never held with the Navy saying... "Work it may but shine it must".. For me it is "I couldn't give a sh** less what it looks like as long as it works well, it is quick and easy to build and doesn't cost me anything"...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:09 PM
I love this forum

^^ Pic ? ^^
Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
^^ Pic ? ^^

An incredibly simple and easy way to make a bumper to mount a winch on. When I load logs onto my 20 foot trailer I pull the front of the truck up to the tongue of the trailer and and the recess under the winch (former ball hitch plate) helps hold the trailer tongue in place while I use the winch to drag logs up onto the trailer. I just run the trailer jack up which puts the back end of the trailer on the ground and the hitch inside that recess. I can load 20 foot logs quite easily with that setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Kangaroos are basically suicidal. You don't want to hit one of those at speed without a bull bar.
Get ya an ARB bumper. Buddy of mine once said they should really stand for Anti 'Roo Bar. Considering he took out a deer without much damage at all, I'd say they work.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhran777 View Post
'Roo Bar.
Roo-Bar = damage multiplier
Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Roo-Bar = damage multiplier
I thought that was brush guards lol. Seen many hoods busted up by bent brush guards. Not as many with full bumper replacements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodhran777 For This Useful Post: