Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,854 Times in 985 Posts

Advertise Here

From 1989 to 2009 I traveled the ALCAN 7 times. In the early trips, there's a town called Destruction Bay and it was well named. If anything would go wrong, that's where it's happen.. Then the last 2 times coming down (I took a big Uhaul one trip, then 2 vehicles pulling campers the 2nd trip).. My oldest son went down with me in the UHaul and wanted to drive but, I knew Destruction Bay was coming up.. To my surprise, the Canadians finally finished that part of the ALCAN and it was like driving on the Autobahn in Germany, smooth as glass.

Pay close attention to the little orange flags the highway crews put alongside the road. 1 or 2 flags isn't too rough but, if you see 4 or 5 flags all place together, you definitely need to be slowing way down..

Get the milePost and read about the next section you're gonna travel the night before. Laird River Hotsprings as mentioned before is a great place to camp but, don't even think about using the showers at the store across the road from there. It's one of the worst places for a shower on the whole road.

One of my favorite places to camp is a primitive Campground called Whirlpool Canyon. Walk over to the river and take your camera.. Sign post village is pretty neat as well.

Here's a trick to know about camping along the highway.. The old times park early in the afternoon, then they head out around the crack of dawn. Hard to find campsites unless you're on their schedule. The best thing about NOT being on their schedule is the amount of wildlife you'll see along the highway in the late afternoons after the oldtimers are already parked and cooking an early dinner.

Using the sleep in late and drive late, the last trip I saw more bears on the road and off to the side than all the other trips combined. Had to pass through a herd of buffalo as well..

Carry at least 2 spares, a jack that will lift the rig your driving (one wheel at a time). Oil, Antifreeze, different sizes of hose and tubing.

Listen carefully to the border guards, they like to be tricky. 5 of my trips were military moves and they asked if I had and pistols. I said yes, they said "Where are they?" I told them on a barge between Anchorage and Washington state. Then they asked if I had pistol ammo, I said yes, in a box in my RV.. Then they asked again where the pistols were.. They definitely try to trick you. As for rifles, even if you have a legal rifle, you still have to fill out their paperwork and pay (last I heard it was like $50) for each rifle.

DO NOT take a Snake Charmer.. They really look for those for some reason..

One last trick.. If you're heading North and it's gettin towards winter time, fill up on the south side of town. Likewise, if you're heading North in the Spring or early Summer, fill up on the North side of town. There's actual logic behind thing.

If you're driving North, like most North bound travelers, they'll pull over at the first station in town they come to. You'll save money going to the North end of town because the traffic isn't heading South.. Just like if you're heading South with everyone else, the first station they come to is the one they stop at. Poor guy at the South side of town can't hardly sell to anyone except the locals that are familiar with the local prices.

To put it short, if you're heading North, fill up at the North end of town. If you're heading South, fill up at the South end of town..

Enjoy the trip, take your time, be safe..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 AM

Get a Milepost.

AT&T cell service works best on the road. Don't plan on having any connections outside of towns when you're actually up on the Alcan.

B.C. requires chains starting Oct 01.

Other posts have covered the rest of the vehicle preps, maintenance, etc.

Only other thing I'll add is that I've never had any issues finding a hotel on the way...but avoid the George Dawson Inn in Dawson Creek. Unless you like smelling sewage all the time. I will say their breakfast is pretty darned good though. Still stinks while you eat it.

Just drove it for the fifth time and came home about a week ago. Good trip except for ten miles outside of Tok. Way icy, only one plow running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Czechsix For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Discipulus De Historia

Thanked 1,651 Times in 617 Posts

My wife and I have made the trip several times. Get used to gas stations being few and far between in places Some say take two spares. We've never had a flat but use your own discretion. Cash should be Canadian funds (use a bank) since some places won't give you a discount. Late in the season many Canadians are tired of American attitudes and just want to close up for the winter. Being polite goes a long ways. Get used to few road signs, unmarked and un-flagged construction. This is Canada, not the USA. Mounties are polite but have huge police powers compared to the US. Again, be polite. Buy a current Milepost as others have said but remember the information may not be 100%. Guns are a no-no for the most part, avoid being deported and fined. Some RVers have carried shotguns (for sporting purposes) but check the laws first. Enjoy the trip, the Alcan is 90% in Canada so remember this is a foreign country with their own laws and sovereignty. Have fun and remember most of the trip is wilderness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Trapper

Check the laws regarding entry into Canada.

True story: For years 4 men traveled to Canada to play golf. They spent 1000's of dollars their for this yearly event UNTIL the law made a change about 10 years or so back. One of the men had a prior record when he was 16 years old, nothing serious, but now when this law changed, they weren't allowed to enter and now they were elderly. Don't know if the law has been changed since, but better safe than sorry if you or anyone traveling with you has a record on file. My brother did and we had to scrap our plans to move to Alaska.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,668 Times in 9,134 Posts

1 thing I haven't seen mentioned is beware of hitch hikers. There's been some killings on the road lately. Going to Alaska by way of the Alaskan Highway is another on my bucket list. Doubt i'll ever get to do it now but you never know. I've still got about 30 years left if everything stays good.

Just be careful, take lots of pics and most of all have fun.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.