Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,201 Times in 699 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Out of curiosity any reason you chose steel over synthetic line and hook over screw pin shackle?

Just interested in seeing how others think on the subject I have steel and hook but that's all that's usable with the MB type C winches.
The warnings about not exposing the winch line long term to UV stop me. I have synthetic on my tractor winch, but it has a canvis cover. I have multiple synthetic extension/ tow ropes ( tow meaning pulling out dozers or tractors- I prefer straps for general pulling till we get above 12k lbs with R1/R4 tires or tracks)
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Nice 4R. Just bought one of these myself (2018 SR5) and been looking at mods. Thought about fender flares and ditch lights?

Used to have a Nissan Xterra, and I really miss having the cargo box set into the floor of the cargo area. I've seen people with pull-out cargo floors, but they're bulky.

May also look into ARB air compressors, or something of that nature. Would give you on-board air for tires and tools, and tend to be fairly compact.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodhran777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Just picked this Soccer Mom Mobile up a couple weeks ago (2nd week of June). It's a '19 Toyota 4Runner Off Road w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires.

Between yesterday and today, I installed a Warn VR10 w/ steel cable, Warn 100022 Hidden Winch Bumper, and a Toyota TRD Skid Plate.

Fresh from the dealer:

Bumper less:

Winch Bumper installed:

All done:

Still need a mild lift (possibly Eibach) to handle that extra weight, sliders, lights, etc...

Need to invest into some electric or air impact tools. Turning wrenches by hand is an all body workout.
Not a "Soccer Mom" vehicle (that would be a Sienna or Ridgeline or other minivan). You selected WELL!
4Runners are one of the best off road/overlanding vehicles out there with a ton of aftermarket options and support (2nd to the JK but those are typically on the side of the road needing repair or replacement parts).
If my 2003 DCSB Tacoma is no longer in my stable of vehicles, I would be looking at a series 80 LC or a newer 4runner.

Air tools :
ARB offers single 2 or 3 gl compressed air tanks that are mountable under the rear of the frame in the spare tire area. You can piggy back them or keep them separate; then have the dual ARB compressor to refill them.

Tires:
ATs = meh, ok for fire roads and mall crawling.
If you are going to all that work with lift, winch, sliders, fuel, etc. why cheap out on mediocre tires? While many complain about the noise of MTs, they consistently out perform ATs with the exception of length of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 3,346 Times in 886 Posts

With running a synthetic winch line be careful with hauling the line in to where the hook meets the fairlead. It will or at least over time scar the fairlead. Running the winch those scars on the fairlead will start wearing out the synthetic line rubbing against it causing a lot of abrasion. You can get a sleeve that's resistant to sunlight that will cover about 5" of the winch line so anything exposed won't be affected by the sun and helps protect against roadway hazards. By doing that you can run the hook out and anchor it to a shackle for something similar.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,636 Times in 3,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Out of curiosity any reason you chose steel over synthetic line and hook over screw pin shackle?

Just interested in seeing how others think on the subject I have steel and hook but that's all that's usable with the MB type C winches.
Synthetic has pros and cons compared to steel that are pretty well enumerated via a web search.

Synthetic came over from the commercial fishing world and something people forget is that those lines on the boats get replaced after every season or two.

Synthetic is more susceptible to wear from sand/mud getting into the fibers. Also less resistant to wear going over a rock or other obstacle.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,589 Times in 3,928 Posts

Pics from last weekend:

Went to the Rendevouz in the Ozarks located at the Byrds Off Road Park in the Ozark National Forest, near Ozark Arkansas. 1st day I was there I tried some of the park's Blue "Easy" trails by myself. Made it 1/10 of the way up one of trails and turned back. Figure I'd rather go in group of people with more experience.

The next day made friends with a guy name Jeff from Iowa driving a 2019 Tacoma OR. We decided we try to see one of the waterfalls in the area. Having both checked out the Off Road Park trails and finding them a little rough. Agreed we'd just stick to the "easy" National Forest trails.

2 hours filled with Rocks, Mud Holes, Off Camber, Multiple Water Crossings, Steep Hill Climbs, Stair Steps, Descents on loose rocks / boulders, rubbing my slider on rock / mud wall, on and on. Used the rear locker multiple times. Pure insanity. About an hour into the trail we realized there was no turning back, only way to go was forward.

This was one of those trails you read about in 4WD magazines. We met some Atv riders 1/3 of the way through - they said - unless you want to break CV joints, take the short cuts around the mud holes. I powered through one of the mud holes and avoided the next 4.

The last bit out was a serious muddy rocky long steep hill climb. Near the top of the hill was a boulder sticking out into the trail at door handle level with a mud rock wall on the left. The trail leaned towards the wall on the left. Jeff, in the lead, tried going over the top of the boulder twice, stopped and we took another at look at it.

Decided it would be best to stack rocks on left of that boulder. Jeff jumped in the Taco and gunned it to the top, going to the left of the boulder. I did the same and found myself with my rock slider riding the wall on the left.

Came down hard on some rocks / boulders. No body damage but got some pinstriping... The 4Runner handled it all perfectly.

I figure - this is what I bought this vehicle for.

Here's a video of the trail we were on. We came down the trail from the other direction:

The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetimetchkangmi View Post
Not a "Soccer Mom" vehicle (that would be a Sienna or Ridgeline or other minivan). You selected WELL!
4Runners are one of the best off road/overlanding vehicles out there with a ton of aftermarket options and support (2nd to the JK but those are typically on the side of the road needing repair or replacement parts).
If my 2003 DCSB Tacoma is no longer in my stable of vehicles, I would be looking at a series 80 LC or a newer 4runner.

Air tools :
ARB offers single 2 or 3 gl compressed air tanks that are mountable under the rear of the frame in the spare tire area. You can piggy back them or keep them separate; then have the dual ARB compressor to refill them.

Tires:
ATs = meh, ok for fire roads and mall crawling.
If you are going to all that work with lift, winch, sliders, fuel, etc. why cheap out on mediocre tires? While many complain about the noise of MTs, they consistently out perform ATs with the exception of length of use.
I have Viair Air Compressor.
This is my 2nd set of Falken Wildpeaks and I've been very happy with them. 1st set is on my Frontier. Previously had 10ply BFG ATKO1's on the Frontier. Those were really heavy, killed off a couple MPG and rode like crap on washboard graded roads.

The Falken AT3's handled this muddy rocky trail I was on perfectly and I'm still getting 18.75mpg average (hand calculated) with tanks as high as 21mpg.

I have family in Illinois and Michigan. I figure I will visit them in the snow / ice some day. The siping in AT's handle ice better in my experience than a pure mud tire.

I do plan on going a couple sizes up next tire change (40 to 50k miles from now).
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 AM
Survivor

Visiting family in Michigan had to go play in the fresh snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191201_111221.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	294820

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191201_110837(1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	294822
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Synthetic has pros and cons compared to steel that are pretty well enumerated via a web search.

Synthetic came over from the commercial fishing world and something people forget is that those lines on the boats get replaced after every season or two.

Synthetic is more susceptible to wear from sand/mud getting into the fibers. Also less resistant to wear going over a rock or other obstacle.
The synthetic line on my ol' flat fender is 8+ years old now. It gets abused more than most. No issues to date. I try to dunk it in a 5 gallon bucket of water once a year to remove some of the grit.

I make all my own winch line gear now. I buy 10mm SK75 Dyneema by the roll. It tests just over 20K lbs MBS. Once you get use to working with it is a very fun hobby. If there are issues on the trail, this stuff is very easy to repair.