Lesson learned on 2.5 Gallon Grocery Store Water - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Water Thread - Links to Major Water Information Mels thinkingitover Food and water 83 08-30-2019 07:18 PM
Best Portable Toilet for SHTF? The Abe Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 01-09-2019 03:10 PM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 26 11-07-2018 12:50 PM
Are any of the Gravity water systems worth it? Primefactor Food and water 19 11-30-2017 07:27 PM
Water, Lesson Learned jmanatee Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 02-02-2017 11:09 PM

Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,443 Times in 456 Posts
Default Lesson learned on 2.5 Gallon Grocery Store Water

Advertise Here

I got a pretty big surprise this week.....
I'll start off by saying that before any filtering or water processing/harvesting of any type......I store 60 gallons of store bought water in my pantry that are a combination of 2.5 gallon, 1 Gallon, 2 litre and 1 litre bottles. The concept here is to pack as much water as I can in one area of the pantry as I can.

I rotate the the water about every 2 years'ish changing it for the exact same size and shapes.

Last week we were dong some cleaning and I noticed that one of the 2.5 gallon containers had split open and lost water. It's happened before and I thing the plastic is designed to break down over time.

Normally you'll see the containers start to collapse and I swap them.

This time around there were 9 2.5 gallon containers totally empty and in original form. So I was 20+ gallon low on the reserves.
These leak so gradually that they get nothing wet.

Lesson learned do not store this type of bottle for emergency water.

HK
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 PM
alabamian

Inused to do the same in storing. I had them stored above some ammo and a gun safe at one point and all 20 jugs had leaked out, was not fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duaned For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 AM
Target Shooter

I buy drinking water from Culligan. Before we had the last arctic blast. Minus 25 degrees -I filled some 5 gallon buckets that I usually keep empty in the garage. I had these buckets sitting out of the way in the house. There were three broken water mains in town at one time. I still had running water but I had the buckets of water in case our water supply stopped I would have water to flush toilets with for a few days and to fill humidifiers to help keep the humidity up and make it easier to heat the house. Since then I have emptied the buckets by using the water. Just wondered why you are storing water like that when it would be so much easier to use the 3 or 5 gallon drinking water jugs like I do for my drinking water?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearsclaw 73 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,278 Times in 692 Posts

How does 20gal of water spill in your pantry and you not notice?

Get LCI water jugs and fill them for free. Prob pay for them self in a few fills and you will never have to worry about them leaking. There are videos of people freezing them with out a leak or split.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 57,115 Times in 19,822 Posts

The packaging on store water isn't for long term storage. It never has been. The goal of these water selling companies is to replace your tap water instead. All store packaging is either #1 plastic that has a short shelf life before toxicity sets in or thin wall #2 plastic that doesn't have enough structural integrity. The only water packaged for long term storage is glass bottle mineral water.

Bottled water from the store isn't a realistic solution to water security.

You need dedicated water storage containers first that you fill and treat properly.

No easy button options unless you want to store mountains Topo Chico or Euro brand glass bottled mineral water.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,088 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
Last week we were dong some cleaning and I noticed that one of the 2.5 gallon containers had split open and lost water. It's happened before and I thing the plastic is designed to break down over time. Lesson learned do not store this type of bottle for emergency water.
Thanks for the reminder. Happened to me 2 years ago when I should've prepared better! so good to have the lesson reinforced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
These leak so gradually that they get nothing wet.

Lesson learned do not store this type of bottle for emergency water.

HK
They didn't leak. They simply dried out. If you simply add water back to the jug and shake it really well, you'll have full bottles of water again.

Me, I store water in everything I can. Got buckets full, I fill all my Mason jars when I have empties, I buy five gallon jugs full from Walmart etc. The only ones I will NOT store are the one gallon milk jugs full. THAT plastic won't last a year in my experience. It's degradable.
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Target Shooter

The large batteries that power my house (solar system) require about a gallon of distilled water a month so I always keep at least 12 gallons in the plastic milk jugs they come in from the store. Occasionally I'll find that one has developed a tiny leak and I'll find it half empty.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanked 1,595 Times in 735 Posts

Henry, that happened to me before with a one gallon container that was stored close to the floor. I was imagining it got nibbled on by mice, but there's never been any other evidence of mice in there.

I'm just wondering now if there are some types that are more prone to leak or to be duds than others. I think that one was a Poland Spring that looks like a typical milk jug--- with that almost grayish, or translucent, soft kind of plastic.

Now I get a different brand, that's in harder, more glassy kind of plastic, and I've never had a problem with dozens of them.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
Henry, that happened to me before with a one gallon container that was stored close to the floor. I was imagining it got nibbled on by mice, but there's never been any other evidence of mice in there.

I'm just wondering now if there are some types that are more prone to leak or to be duds than others. I think that one was a Poland Spring that looks like a typical milk jug--- with that almost grayish, or translucent, soft kind of plastic.

Now I get a different brand, that's in harder, more glassy kind of plastic, and I've never had a problem with dozens of them.
You went from polyethylene to PET plastic. Just switched from a bottle failure problem to a bottle toxicity problem.

You can't buy bottled water from the store in plastic without a long term problem.

You must either buy it in glass bottles or use a dedicated water storage container if you want to store it for long.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Prepared

Some plastic is made to break down in a year or two. It has been recommended not to use it for water storage many times by many people. A milk jug is just trouble.

I think the 5 gallon plastic jugs of water made for offices and businesses are a great way to store water. The plastic is sturdy. A dispenser on a counter or a stand and the water is easy to access. In some areas, you can have it delivered. You can find the bottles in many grocery stores and Walmart.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,908 Posts

I think the whole purpose of water storage is to have the water when needed. And, of course, readily accessible water, with minimum health hazards. To achieve that is easy:
1. Use only containers specifically designed for the purpose.
2. Use the biggest containers possible (which minimize the amount of plastic per gallon). So a 55 gallon drum is better than 7 7-gallon containers.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,842 Posts

May I suggest using recycled glass wine jugs. They can be free at your local recycling center. They hold 4 liters. Set um in the cellar, in your crawl space, or just bury them.

Just wipe the dust, cobwebs, mud, mouse pee off and use. Good drinking water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 10,035 Times in 3,096 Posts

We've used the 1 Gal containers left over from hawaiian punch, which when all our kids were still young we went through a lot. We've never had a problem with them. We added a splash of bleach to tap water & they've been holding up just fine with out rotating them out. We also have several of the 15 gallon barrels filled too. Then we've got two 55 gallon drums that collect rain water on opposite corners of the house. I'd like to get a couple more for our detached garage.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 25,859 Times in 9,315 Posts

I like the 7 gallon Reliance water jugs for storage and use. Not much fun as a 60+ year old gimp humping them up and down icy steps as a 40 year fit guy back in the 90's. The jugs have just started to crack - needs special glue (JB product) to repair them.

I'm going to buy 2 or 3, 55 gallon water barrels and use a a small DC battery electric pump to move the water.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
May I suggest using recycled glass wine jugs. They can be free at your local recycling center. They hold 4 liters. Set um in the cellar, in your crawl space, or just bury them.

Just wipe the dust, cobwebs, mud, mouse pee off and use. Good drinking water.
Glass recycling is slowly becoming a thing of the past. The base material is too abundant to gather and transport from many sources. Cheaper just to mine good sand. Most glass recycling now is just used for glass blasting grit and the market demand is smaller than the supply. Many towns and cities are no longer accepting glass in recycling bins. The ones holding out are just wasting tax dollars on virtue signalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
We've used the 1 Gal containers left over from hawaiian punch, which when all our kids were still young we went through a lot. We've never had a problem with them. We added a splash of bleach to tap water & they've been holding up just fine with out rotating them out.
Of course you don't notice the problem. PET plastic doesn't break down like milk jug plastic. But it leaches antimony instead. A heavy metal that is a hormone mimic. Kills testosterone production and a few other things. The plastic also leaches a few other minor toxins.

I've been trying to explain it repeatedly in this thread. Store drink containers are a bad idea. 99% of them are either going to break down and fail or they go toxic in time. Drinks in grocery stores are not packaged for LTS. Dink companies would prefer if you didn't even wait to get the drinks home before you used them. But it now - use it now - recycle the bottle - repeat endlessly. That is the drink company business model. They make no effort or recognition to storage time beyond dating the bottles. These dates are primarily for the bottles actually, not the fluid inside.

Unless you are willing to learn about the hyper rare options in grocery stores there are basically no reusable containers sold there.

Sure, the toxins are only moderately threatening. They are more of a slow burn kind of threat. People reuse bottles frequently and feel the same. So ask a long term smoker how many decades it took before his cough became notable. Reusing a bottle isn't an immediate threat. It's the habit of reusing bottles that is the threat.

Yes, the store bottles are easy to buy, stack up, and reuse. But almost all of them are a bad idea to reuse or simply store in.

Buy proper water storage containers. Quit being lazy about it. It's not being frugal either. Proper water storage per gallon is dirt cheap. But the package drinks and water are not cheap, given the price for the contents. It's not healthy either for almost all of the contents excepting the plain water. The price for plain water that way makes gasoline look cheap. In the end, I can prove all your perceived advantages are false excepting convenience. If convenience is the only true reward then laziness is the only thing left.

There are maybe one to three truly usable options for decent water storage in all those supermarket aisles and you have to know exactly what they are. Those hundred of others are bad.

Last edited by IamZeke; 03-05-2019 at 07:16 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 01:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 60,945 Times in 19,704 Posts

I keep (And refill\rotate through) ( 3) 5 gal "water cooler" type bottles.
In the house (can 'bail' s couple thousand gal from the cistern if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,775 Posts

So, Zeke, you have finally convinced me. What are the right containers? We only haul drinking water so I prefer 1 gal at a time, but we only go to town infrequently so I will want a bunch. We currently are using Arizona tea jugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
So, Zeke, you have finally convinced me. What are the right containers? We only haul drinking water so I prefer 1 gal at a time, but we only go to town infrequently so I will want a bunch. We currently are using Arizona tea jugs.
You obviously read the right thing already somewhere because you need food grade heavy wall polyethylene or polypropylene containers.....exactly like the Arizona tea jug.

That same container gets a few other things put into it, but they are hard to find.

The heavy duty water cooler bottles like Nomad uses are fine too.

So you are already hooked up if 1gal is your favorite size.

Everyone else can look in my informational thread that is linked in the pinned water thread.

And everyone should get their plastic jugs off the concrete. Efflorescence happens.

LOL, the first person I convince is actually doing it right. It's gonna be a long thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 AM

It's not that anyone would want to carry them around but I have canned water in 1 gallon glass ball jars. It has a "forever" shelf life. They sit on the floor of my very full pantry. I wouldn't want to go anywhere with all this food. It is just for the little homestead during tough times. We have used much of them during 2 week long power outages. We hauled pond water in to flush toilets and used canned water for drinking and cooking. We have 2 generators but they won't run everything for 2 weeks.

The other thing is that everything in my wonderful little pantry or even the jugs that everyone keeps will not freeze well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graylady For This Useful Post: