Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reloading – Brass, what’s the best way to clean it? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-25-2018 03:30 PM
CCI Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ-RN 115-Gr. 50 Rnds - $9.97 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 02-06-2017 09:38 AM
Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr 50rd Box (5201) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-30-2017 09:36 AM
CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 115 grain FMJ RN - $9.97 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 01-01-2017 09:42 AM
Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 115-Grain FMJ 50-round box - $9.99 (Free S/H) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-19-2016 06:30 PM

Old 02-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,730 Times in 687 Posts
Default Reloading .45ACP -- Blazer Brass

Advertise Here

Hey all, since I got my 1911, I now have a bunch of spent .45ACP brass. So I'm working on some reloads. What I noticed is that Blazer Brass evidently uses small pistol primers. I assumed that all .45 would be large primers. Those of you who do reload, and reload Blazer Brass for the .45, do you use magnum small pistol primers, or just regular small pistol primers?

Or should I just throw all the Blazer brass into the recycle bin?

thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 25,911 Times in 9,329 Posts

Your data should specify the primers. I wouldn't use mag primers in the 45 ACP unless you find data for them or start low and work your way up.

I don't have many sp size 45 ACP brass, just ones I picked up.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,135 Times in 9,895 Posts

I would just use standard primers, regardless of size

When using mag primers for standard loads reduce charge by at least 10% and then work up from there.

To me, it's not worth the hassle. I only use mag primers on magnum loads when required by the powder (ball types)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Ordinary Average Guy

Thanked 1,216 Times in 539 Posts

Standard primers, regardless of size I have not noted a difference. The important thing is to separate large & small. I am actually considering making all of mine small, just for convenience. Right now I only need large for the 45.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Rex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,808 Posts

The small primer .45 ACP brass reloads fine using published data for a large primer and just substituting a standard small pistol primer. The velocity produced is a bit lower, but the difference is usually less than the sample velocity standard deviation. The load will be safe and function OK.

There is no harm in using magnum small pistol primers. Those will produce about the same velocity as a standard large pistol primer, but there is no real need or advantage to doing so.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,173 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
Hey all, since I got my 1911, I now have a bunch of spent .45ACP brass. So I'm working on some reloads. What I noticed is that Blazer Brass evidently uses small pistol primers. I assumed that all .45 would be large primers. Those of you who do reload, and reload Blazer Brass for the .45, do you use magnum small pistol primers, or just regular small pistol primers?

Or should I just throw all the Blazer brass into the recycle bin?

thanks
Use the same primers you would for your AR. Cuts down on inventory that is not needed...

What I do for 9 sillimeter loadings and have never had any issues.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,165 Times in 4,522 Posts

Id segregate them out, because more than anything else, they will be a PITA, especially if most of what you load uses LP, and you get any mixed up. Youll know what Im getting at, the first time you try to seat a LP in small pocket while banging away.

Nothing wrong with loading them with SP, if you stay on top of things and pay attention, but is a lot easier, and generally less of a hassle, to go with what is more common. 99.9% of the 45acp brass Ive ever come across uses LP primers. Ive seen a few with small, but they are not the norm, and I usually just chuck them.

As far as using standard vs magnum, I pretty much use them interchangeably, especially with pistol loads, and have never had an issue or ever seen signs of overpressure.

As long as youre not trying to hotrod things, it shouldn't be an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Bear Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
. . . Youll know what Im getting at, the first time you try to seat a LP in small pocket while banging away.
Yeah, I'll admit it, that's how I discovered the Blazer was the small primer. I just couldn't squeeze the hand priming tool hard enough . . .

Quote:
Nothing wrong with loading them with SP, if you stay on top of things and pay attention, but is a lot easier, and generally less of a hassle, to go with what is more common. 99.9% of the 45acp brass Ive ever come across uses LP primers. Ive seen a few with small, but they are not the norm, and I usually just chuck them.
I didn't think anyone would use SP, but these are factory Blazer, which is pretty much my go-to range/plinking ammo. Now I check the boxes, and so far it appears that Winchester white-box, S&B, Sig, and MagTech are all LP. Maybe CCI likes to save a penny or two a box and go with the SP on the Blazers. Go figure.

Quote:
As far as using standard vs magnum, I pretty much use them interchangeably, especially with pistol loads, and have never had an issue or ever seen signs of overpressure.

As long as youre not trying to hotrod things, it shouldn't be an issue.
This is too much like rocket science. I'm not gonna be doing any hotrodding!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,177 Times in 997 Posts

Yes to all that said spp. The magnum primers aren’t for the amount of powder per se but how slow of a burning powder.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,116 Times in 550 Posts

I prefer to load large primer I think the large primer burns cleaner so it makes for a cleaner gun and easier casing cleaning imo. But I save all the small primer and after I get around a thousand or so I'll reload them and shoot them at places like the indoor range where half the brass goes over the wall and I can't pick them up.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,808 Posts

A factor favoring the small primer .45 ACP brass is that I can standardize on one size of primer for all of my handgun loading instead of having to keep two sizes.

Also, I can get all of the once-fired small primer brass I want for nothing at the local range, because the owner can sell sorted large primer pocket brass, whereas the mixed caliber brass goes to a scrapper for the scrap price. He lets me sort all the .45 ACP brass out of the 55 gal. drum, putting it into buckets by headstamp for resale, and I can keep all of the small primer pocket brass for my sorting effort.

I got a 5 gallon bucket of once-fired small pocket .45 ACP for nothing, for me a lifetime supply. They get multiple sorted by headstamp buckets of large primer pocket .45 ACP for resale by the pound at four times the current American Metal Market scrap brass market price. Overall not a bad Saturday's work for a retired guy with nothing better to do on a rainy day than sort brass, chat with the customers and drink free coffee.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Bear Fighter

I've been eyeballing all the other .45 brass I got (a guy dropped off a bunch a couple years ago, which, of course, necessitated the purchase of the 1911 in the first place!), so far the only small primer I've reloaded is Blazer. I'm thinking back on what I sorted and there's some CCI and Speer, which makes me wonder if they're small pocket as well (since they are in the same family tree), while I know all the Federal I've seen has the large primer.

I'd just bag it and go with all large primer, but I shoot a lot of Blazer factory loads, so I'm gonna end up with the brass.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:51 PM

There are a number of SP 45ACP cases now.
Federal, Winchester, Speer, CCI Blazer and Fiocchi use SP in some of their 45 ACP loads and others are likely following.
I am betting they will regret this later on when LP primer sales drop

For those using a Dillon just save up the SP cases. When you finish loading 9MM/40 whatever in SP switch the base plate and continue using SP in 45 set up until you finish those SP cases.

For range plinking I use the same load
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,501 Times in 8,126 Posts

The small primer brass works fine for my 1911 semiwadcutter loads. Given the way the old cartridge is loaded, that level of primer flash works just fine with the propellants I use in it.