Scalia just passed away **all threads merged here** - Page 41 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Passed mtnairkin General Discussion 25 01-15-2015 11:50 AM
Scalia To Student: If Taxes Go Too High ‘Perhaps You Should Revolt’ Ruble Political News and Discussion 3 04-20-2014 05:54 PM
Scalia says internment camps possible real wowwee Political News and Discussion 46 02-05-2014 06:20 PM
Scalia to the rescue NoOzone Political News and Discussion 0 06-18-2013 03:13 PM
Passed! 62bravo Communications 9 04-15-2013 12:24 PM
Justice Anotin Scalia Resigns? mattmuttsmith Political News and Discussion 15 04-02-2013 01:59 AM
Scalia: "Guns Can be Regulated" CSM101 Political News and Discussion 27 07-31-2012 10:33 AM
Scalia: Guns May be Regulated prepperintraining General Discussion 32 07-30-2012 12:15 PM
Justice Scalia: Guns May be Regulated & MKULTRA Festes Controversial News and Alternative Politics 1 07-29-2012 07:54 PM
Passed! rocdoc Communications 40 03-23-2012 09:18 PM

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,938 Posts

Advertise Here

I'm not saying he's a dream nominee from all perspectives inside the Republican party, only that his nomination would be a large shillelagh Obama and Democrats running for Congress and the Presidency could use to smack the other side in the head with and score mountains of points with centrist/unaligned voters *and* voters who identify away from the middle and towards either party but who this election cycle seem to be very focused on the idea that the political parties themselves are the problem.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,435 Times in 9,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
But perhaps the greatest impediment to Sandoval's national advancement is his record since taking office in January 2011, which includes a broken promise to reduce taxes, support for legal (deleted), embrace of the federal healthcare law and a decision to drop the state's legal fight against same-sex marriage — all of which are anathema to the Republican base, even if they sit fine with many Nevadans......
A social progressive supporter of the ACA who's also strong on Second Amendment rights! Heck! If he doesn't get appointed to the Supreme Court let's elect HIM President.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Hiker

Sandoval is a moderate who would probably side with conservatives on the court far more often than with the liberal side. But more likely Obama is trying to offer a carrot to Sandoval to deliver Nevada to Hillary in the next election. We could do worse than Sandoval on the court.

Besides, apparently there is nothing in the Constitution prohibiting Obama from nominating himself!

Last edited by Wryter; 02-24-2016 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: added more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Wryter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 29,938 Times in 8,695 Posts

The Senate would likely confirm him if Clinton or Sanders (or a less conservative Republican) becomes the President-elect.

Otherwise, I believe the Senate is holding out for another Scalia.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Clinton or Sanders aren't talking about nominating him, though. And it's not guaranteed the senate Republicans will have the votes to dictate policy if either of them is elected (or if a Republican is, for that matter).
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,435 Times in 9,970 Posts

Quote:
The Senate would likely confirm him if Clinton or Sanders (or a less conservative Republican) becomes the President-elect.

Otherwise, I believe the Senate is holding out for another Scalia.
If President Obama nominates Governor Sandoval, and the senate refuses to act the president will withdraw the nomination before the election.

The Democrats will run on the notion that the Republicans are committed to governmental deadlock and committed to installing a very conservative Supreme Court Justice who will roll back some recent popular decisions. This will engergize an otherwise apathetic Democratic base and move a good number of moderate independent voters toward the Democrats.

Secretary Clinton is not a great candidate. The Republicans can win if they'll quit shooting themselves in the foot... they just can't stop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,606 Times in 3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
If Obama nominates a "A" NRA grade Latino Republican for the SCOTUS and the Republican Senate obstructs the nomination . . . I'm not sure Obama could do a better job of painting Mitch McConnell and company as clowns unfit to govern if Red Skelton or John Wayne Gacy were still alive and he could hire one of them to do portraits of senators.

I swear this election feels more and more like the final season of some long running TV show where the writers are trying to drum up fading ratings with a "this season, no one is safe and there are no rules" approach to story.

Next prediction? Cruz and Hillary running on a unity ticket to try and stop both Trump and Sanders.
And they fall right into the Democrat trap each and every time. That is the embarrassing part. They constantly shoot themselves in the foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
That is irrelevant. There is a bigger picture here. Plus, the nominee does not and should not be too cozy with any said party.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
If President Obama nominates Governor Sandoval, and the senate refuses to act the president will withdraw the nomination before the election.

The Democrats will run on the notion that the Republicans are committed to governmental deadlock and committed to installing a very conservative Supreme Court Justice who will roll back some recent popular decisions. This will engergize an otherwise apathetic Democratic base and move a good number of moderate independent voters toward the Democrats.

Secretary Clinton is not a great candidate. The Republicans can win if they'll quit shooting themselves in the foot... they just can't stop.
I swear I just read your shooting themselves in the foot comment after I entered mine. Sadly, when people point out an objective obviousness they are often called liberals on this site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Survivor

Sandoval does not want to be considered. I don't blame him. He does not want to be used as a political prop and I am sure other moderates or conservatives would probably feel the same way. The RNC better hope they can win because to prevent Hilary's nominee. I wondered if McConnell would have kept his mouth shut, if Sandoval would have really considered a nomination.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:02 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,176 Times in 5,758 Posts

I completely disagree that the Republicans will pay a price for inaction on a Supreme Court nominee. The media seems to be going out of it's way to advise the GOP that inaction will be bad for them.
Since when has the liberal media cared about the health of the Republican party? They are continually trying to destroy the party and prop up the progressives.
Just about everyone I talk with will be angry if the Republicans do consider, not if they don't consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I completely disagree that the Republicans will pay a price for inaction on a Supreme Court nominee. The media seems to be going out of it's way to advise the GOP that inaction will be bad for them.
Since when has the liberal media cared about the health of the Republican party? They are continually trying to destroy the party and prop up the progressives.
Just about everyone I talk with will be angry if the Republicans do consider, not if they don't consider.
I think your focus group would be biased. Political perspective has to be all encompassing. MSM is beating that drum and it usually works even if there is the few that hate the MSM. Public opinion is beyond the confines of this forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I think the problem starts here with the premise that the main stream media, wholly owned by huge corporations, is "liberal." The MSM is "liberal" the same way a professional wrestling villain is a "bad guy." It's always been the case, but it's gotten more obvious these days, with pundits on Fox, MSNBC, and the rest of the cable news noise machine increasingly just sounding like WWE superstars shouting into a mic in between matches.
The Following User Says Thank You to HorseSoldier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 29,938 Times in 8,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
That is irrelevant. There is a bigger picture here. Plus, the nominee does not and should not be too cozy with any said party.
On principle, you are absolutely correct.

Pragmatically however, politics trumps principles all too often.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,522 Times in 15,141 Posts

***MODERATOR NOTE****
This thread is on Scalia's death only. Not the next SC justice or anything else. Please start a new thread for that. This thread is now closed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread