Found a mouse. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,401 Times in 9,890 Posts

Advertise Here

I dont like cats. But the rats were eating electrical wires and hoses in our vehicles, so we got three female kittens.
Two survived to breed, five kittens each, now we have 12 cats. We have no rats or mice.
I am learning to respect cats that earn their keep.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,062 Posts

Get some PepperMint Oil. It will drive them away. Put it in every crack etc. They can't deal with the smell and if eaten will kill them.
By the Way, there are selling PepperMint Garbage bags as it will deter not only mice but Rats and Racoons
Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,063 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
What I don't like about snap traps though is they only kill one at a time before having to reset. If you see one, there's more, and I want to kill them wholesale which is why I was looking into poisons.
So set a half dozen or more traps at a time? If you know where the mice are coming in, set a couple traps at each entry point. Check once a day, it only takes a minute or two to reset. Cheap, easy and effective.
Also, do what you can to block the entries.

No reason you can't use D-Con. I just can't handle the smell of rotting mice. YMMV
Old 12-05-2019, 12:12 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,019 Times in 6,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0n3 View Post
I've caught them in havahart traps... Bait with a carrot...

But, yeah... the cats usually get them... unfortunately, they also get the songbirds and lizards...
I always used crunchy peanut butter, and pushed those peanut chunks down into the hole on the trigger...
live or dead... the cats are happy to eat the ones that i trap... haven't needed to set the trap in years....

I used to get packrats building nests in the truck... but, that was at the previous house.
MY cats prefer fresher meat.

Believe me, one or two cats in the house will eliminate the mice. (You haven't seen patience until you've seen a cat waiting to ambush a mouse. They live for it.) Plus the presence of a cat scares the liver and lights out of a mouse population. They'll soon go elsewhere. Females are best. Males have the other thing on their minds too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 01:20 AM
Awesome

Thanked 23,785 Times in 7,861 Posts

if i try to block where they come in at, i think they'd just chew a new entrance, its better off they all die instead. I'll look at d-con products, and maybe some traps.. are y'all talking about those bait stations with the little green cube baits? i may put that down where i think they're coming in at, and a couple pieces of bait at other locations where i think they may be coming in at, and that
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 01:57 AM

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,626 Posts

If you can pack some steel wool into the cracks the rodents will eat it and kill them by tearing/eating holes in their stomachs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,019 Times in 6,767 Posts

Coarse steel wool is a marvelous deterrent. They won't even touch it, much less eat it.

Steel wool mixed with that urethane Great Stuff foam crack sealer is better yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Awesome

i dont know, i think letting them come is a good thing.. right? because if i seal them off from the areas i can see, they'll be stuck in places i cant get to, and likely just cause more damage.. better to let them come out so they can be killed.. if one wants to pick up a chunk of bait and run back to its den with it and kill all the rest, im fine with it.. they're tiny things, i dont think they'll smell THAT bad for that long
Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,767 Times in 3,595 Posts

Quote:
they're tiny things, i dont think they'll smell THAT bad for that long
They stink for weeks (minimum).
Their **** and **** stinks forever unless you scrub it out (and that doesn't happen with insulation, ceiling tiles, etc.
One pair of mice can be responsible for over 100,000 mice in one year http://www.afrma.org/mousemultiply.htm

Get a Rat Zapper (or multiples). They KILL the SOBs DEAD. It's humane and you don't even have to look at the mouse or rat when you dump it into the garbage. The mouse electrocution things didn't work for me, but a Rat Zapper did. Bait with dry dog food The red light on top tells you when its armed when you place and set it, then the light goes out. The light blinks when the Rat Zapper catches something (time to empty and rebait Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.

Even better... cat(s). Mine have all been indoor-only (or on a leash) and certain death to mice and bugs, and they ate what they killed so there was no disposal, except a tail once. I might have inadvertently interrupted the cat's meal, so it was probably my fault

If you use a Rat Zapper(s) and have cats and/or dogs, read the instructions about placement and pet safety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Prepared

Quote:
if i try to block where they come in at, i think they'd just chew a new entrance, its better off they all die instead. I'll look at d-con products, and maybe some traps.. are y'all talking about those bait stations with the little green cube baits? i may put that down where i think they're coming in at, and a couple pieces of bait at other locations where i think they may be coming in at, and that
True. I put a door on the shed, and the little [email protected]#$%^&*()_'s chewed a hole right through it. The feral cats were locked in the basement because it was around Halloween and Hurricane Dorian is a black cat. I HAYTE rats and mice!
The Following User Says Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,552 Posts

D-con is vitamin D3 and some others use warfarin (coumadin). I have both in my medicine cabinet but mice try to live in my car so I don't think I want a dead one under the seat or in the heater duct. I need to find where they get in.

As a side, I knew of a chemist that purchased warfarin powder and used it as a blood thinner. As a chemist he had access to a triple beam balance so he could get the dosage correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Prepared

1 trap? I usually set 3 or 4 in both my pantry and garage every fall when the crops come out of the fields. If I can get to them early i’ll go the rest of the winter only catching a few. If I don’t, I get one or two a week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,117 Posts

I second the zapper! I used one in the chicken coop which killed the zapper but while it worked it was awesome. Rats and mice, dead, no need to finish them off, no stink. The dust did the zapper in as it warned in the directions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Awesome

ill look at the electrical traps, but i also found something about using a mixture of plaster of paris with flour as a means to kill them.. the mice or rats eat the stuff, drink water and it hardens inside their digestive system and kills them within minutes, and the amount of hard plaster inside their digestive system would be small enough that if any happened to die in a place where someones pet could eat it, it shouldnt cause harm to that pet

anyone hear of this method?.. theres also one where you mix baking soda with flour, the baking soda creates carbon dioxide when they drink, and since rats and mice cannot burp, they pop
Old 12-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,952 Times in 2,121 Posts

I use a combination of "tom cat" poison from the feed store, a wax bar and two cats. finding cats at a reasonable price here is near impossible. I remember when people would drop them off at the feed store to give away
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 05:08 AM
Awesome

yeah, im not getting a cat.. first issue would be that i do not think a cat would be able to access where they are coming from, too big.. it may scare them off for a bit, but then they'll find other ways to cause damage as well.. so for the same reason i dont want to seal off holes or use some kind of repellent, i'd rather not use a cat and instead kill them
Old 12-06-2019, 05:12 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,090 Times in 21,277 Posts

Mink Man!

youtube guy uses mink for mousing
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,576 Times in 4,922 Posts

Snap traps work well, mice are very cautious and will check that trap out for hours, possibly days. I knew a guy that had them in his shop and set up a trap with a camera on it, he'd go into work and fast forward the tapes to find the mouse peeking out from a radiator cover. You have to set out a bunch in an area where mice will run past.

In the past I used those traps that just catch the mouse and not kill it. Then I'd let it out somewhere on the way to work. I placed these around my kitchen and usually caught a few per season.

Now I have 2 cats, both great at catching mice. The little feral cat will stay on the hunt for days in a row if he has some staked out. Of course he has to prance past when he does catch one...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Awesome

i dont know about cats though, i mean, a cat could only catch a mouse that is dumb enough to come out to where the cat can reach it.. and thats assuming you even get a cat that has the desire to catch them
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,156 Posts

I caught 30 mice in my pole barn last winter. Victor snap traps, wire a peanut to the trap pan. I also used the multi-catch ‘condo’ type that nets three or four at a time.

Our outdoor cat is worthless because he’s fed too well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post: