Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,121 Times in 552 Posts
Default LL Bean Duck Boots any good

Advertise Here

Looking for waterproof, somewhat insulated, snowy wet boots. Are the LL Bean Duck Boots any good for colder weather, hiking to the tree stand then sitting in the stand all day in 20 degree weather.
Are the soles any good on wet slick surfaces?
How are they in the cold? Don't really need my feet to sweat all day but want warmer boots while in he stand and hiking the creeks trout fishing.
Also looking for light weight boots as my hips are shot and I can't have heavy boots
How about the fake versions from Walmart and tractor supply?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
Looking for waterproof, somewhat insulated, snowy wet boots. Are the LL Bean Duck Boots any good for colder weather, hiking to the tree stand then sitting in the stand all day in 20 degree weather.

How are they in the cold? Don't really need my feet to sweat all day but want warmer boots while in he stand and hiking the creeks trout fishing.

Also looking for light weight boots as my hips are shot and I can't have heavy boots

LLBean makes a few styles and not all are insulated. I have an insulated pair and I love them, warm and light as slippers. They aren’t cheap but they hold up well.
Some of their styles are imports but I think most of their “duck” style boots are made in Maine.
They run large to allow thick socks, I opted for one size down and love the fit.
When it is -10° I’d choose a pair of surplus Mickey boots but those are pretty heavy.
BTW:
Bean boots now have a one year warranty as opposed to the lifetime warranty they had prior to 2018.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,129 Times in 1,604 Posts

LL Bean makes some good gear.
Most of their products are domestically made.

I have used them along with Sorel and LaCrosse for a long time

Big fan of pac style boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Shearing sheep

Quote:

I've worn them for years. Definitely great in wet, muddy and snowy conditions (if insulated), but I find the "chain link tread" severely lacking on wet surfaces. Wet rock feals like you're on an ice skating rink. I would avoid if non-slip is of most importance to you. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMcD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,145 Posts

I wear a pair when feeding in the winter. Nice to have dry feet when it is cold and snow on the ground. Lot to be said for a pair of insulated overalls and a good pair of ducks.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 AM

I have a pair that I’ve had for about 15 years. They are still in great shape.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:18 AM

I bought a pair of these last year for Ice Fishing:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3548...RATING*Warmest

I wore sock liners and a pair of THICK wool socks, the boots did a good job overall.

Warmth - if you are moving a little your feet are toasty. If you stand on 30" of ice without moving your feet will feel it, just move around a little.

Tread - as someone send, that chain link tread is so so, I put on a pair or micospikes and was fine.

Wait for a sale as they are not cheap.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:15 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyTheWonderPig View Post
I bought a pair of these last year for Ice Fishing:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3548...RATING*Warmest

I wore sock liners and a pair of THICK wool socks, the boots did a good job overall.

Warmth - if you are moving a little your feet are toasty. If you stand on 30" of ice without moving your feet will feel it, just move around a little.

Tread - as someone send, that chain link tread is so so, I put on a pair or micospikes and was fine.

Wait for a sale as they are not cheap.
These and the ' storm chaser pull on with side zip ' are the bean boots I have been eyeballing
Old 11-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,019 Times in 959 Posts
Exclamation

I haven’t worn mine since I bought my Muck Boots! They’re my backdoor boots year around.

Plenty warm for most winters very comfortable and easy to step into! I do trade out the factory insole for felt insoles, but I wear them more times than not as yard slippers to go check the mail or to shovel snow or scrape the ice and snow off the truck in the morning before I leave ect!

SD
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 PM
force multiplier

Quote:
I bought a pair in 1991. They were my primary hunting/outdoor boot for around 15-20 years until I replaced them with a pair of knee high neoprene/rubber slip ons. The LL Beans languished in my closet for around 10 years, until one of my son's discovered them. He now wears them for hunting and they are still going strong. Tread is worn and some stitching on one of the boots is loosening in a non critical area(back strap). The LL beans are still very serviceable and my son has now claimed them as his own. I will eventually send them back for a resole and repair. Not bad for a pair of "hand-me-down" boots that will turn twenty-nine next year. I guess if they were female they will be forever "29". YMMV

Regards

Rod
Old 11-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Born 120 years too late.

SCHNEE is having a weekend sale.
If you have never heard of them, they are the Cadillac when compared to the rest of them out there.

Anyway they have a couple of boots listed including their Western Pac boot Over $100 off and it has removable/replaceable liners.

GREAT boots.

https://schnees.com/cyber-weekend/?u...eid=4416e69c06
Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 AM
Prepared

I get about 4 years out of their slip on version. They live outside the door in the carport. I slip them on and wear them to work and change into work boots in the parking lot.
Take out the garbage and knock around town in them.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,182 Posts

I have. had a pair of these for more than 25 years, they're comfortable in mud, rain, hiking, etc and also snakeproof.

https://www.lechameau.com/us/men-s-c...ined-boot.html
Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 PM
Hunter

I have a very similar pair of boots like that I inherited from my English grandfather Nice boots but a lot of times you just don't need that much boot
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,913 Times in 2,696 Posts

Quote:
Most important step 1: try them on and then decide. If they don't fit well for any reason, they'll be useless to you.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Hunter

I drove an hour 1 way to the LL Bean store and they didn't have the Storm Chasers in that store then on top of that they said they don't normally keep the wide sizes in stock. So I couldn't really try anything on. I think Mr Bean has lost my business. Time to rethink my boot search
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,315 Times in 513 Posts

If you're still interested in the LL Bean boots they have a sitewide sale for 20% off of everything (ending 12/10) using the code 'GIFT20'.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:16 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcd View Post
If you're still interested in the LL Bean boots they have a sitewide sale for 20% off of everything (ending 12/10) using the code 'GIFT20'.
Exactly the reason I chose to drive an hour to the actual store that didn't have any boots to try on and also didn't keep half the boots offered online in store.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,608 Posts

A former neighbor had the slip-on version. He called them his outdoor house shoes. He kept them by the door and slipped them on to make a quick trip to the woodpile or mail box. I don't know if they were LL Bean or another brand, that was a number of years ago. I may try a pair of cheaper slip-ons for that purpose as it's a hassle to tug on overshoes just to go to the woodpile even if I leave the fasteners un-clipped.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Born 120 years too late.

AFTER checking around, for different boots...
I just bought a pair of these.
Seem to push all your buttons without having to worry about leather rot.

Good for -50 so they should be warm.

I have a couple different pairs of LaCrosse boots and they have always been good stuff. My Iceman boots are good to -70 Have had them for year. The Aerohead boot is almost as good but a LOT lighter and so easy to put on and off. I really like how you can adjust the calf fit to exactly your liking.

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/men...own-7-0mm.html