not a lot of sword threads? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Awesome

Thanked 23,939 Times in 7,898 Posts
Default not a lot of sword threads?

Advertise Here

i've noticed there arent a whole lot of threads on here about swords.. just not that much interest in them here or what? i like them.. i wouldnt plan on using one for shtf situations, but i do enjoy cutting for fun, exercise, and i used to do a little training with them for recreational purposes, nothing too competitive though
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,180 Times in 378 Posts

Its interesting what swords are "popular"...

If you go to the knife and airsoft store in the mall, you see samurai, midieval, and fantasy, with maybe one "Civil War" special.

I am a fan of approximately "Victorian" period blades, roughly 1815 - 1915, an era that gets absolutely no love with the common public (maybe it's racist or colonialist? ).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

I was way into (Western sport) fencing back in the 70's-80's. Still believe the sword is the king of weapons, sabre in particular. I've a small collection.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Awesome

i started out with medieval swords, including bastard swords and arming.. but i've come to realize these things fell out of favor for a reason, and i started developing some habits that are better suited for rapiers (like using your index finger over the cross guard to improve pointing and tip control which lead to the development of more complex hilts and the development of side swords).. and of course sabers are the pinnacle of cutters which in my opinion is a bit more intuitive for most people

so if i got back into them, i'd probably forget the medieval stuff, and go with a rapier, or a saber (probably officer size) because they really are the peak of sword types, but completely different in technique, and both even very different from arming swords, and two handed swords

i wouldnt mind a saber (including cavalry, officer, cutlass, etc) vs rapier (including side swords) discussion.. or a cutter vs thruster discussion
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 33,335 Times in 8,023 Posts

I like steel blades. I've got a lot of nice $25-100 knives. I've got a few "battle ready" real modern production swords. I find the most practical is the custom Katana from Northshire swords. 1095 steel. Well balanced. Good price around $300 for a useful sword.

But at the prices for a good useful entry level sword, you can get a 12 gauge shotgun or an AR15 or a nice pistol. If one is making a decision, the firearms always win.

Just the same, I like sharp steel...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
i wouldnt mind a saber (including cavalry, officer, cutlass, etc) vs rapier (including side swords) discussion.. or a cutter vs thruster discussion
You're not the first guy. This is how/why the Patton sabre was developed; somewhat of an attempt at a 'duel purpose' sabre, but with the emphasis on the thrust from horseback. It actually almost exactly mirrors an earlier British sabre without the Victorian frillwork. Out of time this morning, I'll post some links later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,138 Times in 9,389 Posts

I like edged weapons. I don't really have any swords, I did fence a few times. Fun, lots of work. As a old amputee guy, a staff is a good choice. Chinese spear technique works well even without the point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Awesome

the only swords i have now.. at least, swords that actually function as swords (as opposed to wall hangers which i largely got rid of) is a bastard sword and an arming sword.. both sharp, high carbon steels that hold an edge and cut extremely well.. i need to diversify my collection more, certainly

i wouldnt mind finding something of a typical representation of a rapier, and a typical representation of a saber to add to my collection.. while looking at sabers i notice there are mostly two types.. big ones for cavalry use, and a bit skinnier ones for everything else.. since the saber, if im not mistaken is largely a cavalry weapon, im guessing the cavalry sabers are more representative of the stereotype
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,982 Times in 748 Posts

I've owned a claymore for years. It's makes kids smile when I hack watermelons with it.

I've always wanted a hunting sword. My tastes run expensive though...much more so than my pockets run deep..

If I were to buy one it would have to be hand forged with an antler handle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,357 Times in 5,794 Posts

I like swords and have a few, even learned to fence with my son.
I recommend it to anyone wanting to get closer to their kids,(relevant age and size) it really evens the playing field.
I wish I had friends here that fenced, good activity.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Awesome

swordplay seems like a natural thing for people.. when you consider how often kids will almost instinctively pick up sticks, and attempt it themselves, almost like its ingrained into our DNA

anyway, ive been watching and reading some material, learning more about sabers and saber techniques, different grips, moves, guards, and also basket hilt and some differences between those and sabers, which largely share a lot of the same moves and training, but the grip is more limited, but you do get some more guard options, given the full hand protection, and heavier sabers generally lose the thumb grip option due to weight requiring the full hammer grip for proper control, losing versatility over lighter sabers

definitely pretty intricate

from what i learned so far, smallswords and spadroons use the thumb grip, cavalry sabers and basket hilts use the hammer grip, light sabers (like officer sabers) can use either one.. some countries as a cultural thing, tended to favor thrust-centric training, and others focused more on cutting swords and training, leading to some divergence in sword types
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 30,855 Times in 10,842 Posts

I use a Kabar Kukri as a dual purpose survival tool and zombie killer. Thick and heavy duty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Awesome

zombies? the things you see on television arent zombies, zombies are a voodoo thing and completely different than what you are thinking of ;-)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
zombies? the things you see on television arent zombies, zombies are a voodoo thing and completely different than what you are thinking of ;-)
Well, they still need to go...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Awesome

well, edged weapons are easily the most ridiculous way of making them go.. given the fact you'd be lucky to kill a handful before you ran out of energy, or your blade cracks and chips on the bone
Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,744 Times in 564 Posts

Swords are awesome. I have a few swords (late 1800's sabre, rapier, and a modern katana). As well as a machete collection. I don't see a scenario where swords will ever be a useful sidearm again, however the machete is a great tool to have along in any scenario. It can be used for a short sword if the need arises, but it also has everyday utility use and would be worth taking along. I always keep a 14" tramatina in my jeep. I have been on the search for the perfect survival machete. Unfortunately you always have tradeoffs in the design in order to make the machete a better chopping tool. Currently my go to machete is a modified version of the Cold Steel Wakizashi 18" machete. Works very well as a slicer, a dicer, and a poker. https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Ta.../dp/B0738NLWSV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makobytes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Awesome

hmm.. using a machete as a short sword.. i wonder if there are any short sword designs out there that could double as a machete as well?.. assuming the proper metals, heat treating, and edge geometry.. such as the cutlass, or a gladius for example
Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,480 Times in 1,786 Posts

Big knives, machetes, they just happen to be more practical than swords. Swords are only good for their intended purpose... which you have better tools for, such as guns. Guess thats why you dont see that much interest in them here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,010 Times in 2,144 Posts

I have a few cheap ones around. I did pick up a couple damascus dirk blades last summer. This winter I'll assemble them. I did one 10 years go, but is was just a steel blade. I prefer a smaller knife for most work. I doubt I will ever get into a knife fight. After all, that is what a pistol is for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 06:54 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,334 Times in 3,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
After all, that is what a pistol is for.
"Never bring a knife to a gun fight."
"Okay, but a knife never runs out of bullets."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post: