Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,529 Posts
Default Kind of a sad testimony of some area Christians on Facebook

Advertise Here

I'm a member of the Firewire Facebook groups of several local counties.

I don't know if every county in the US has these, but basically they are mostly updates from EMTs, Firefighters, etc. They contain things like emergency road closures from accidents or weather. Some of it is very useful info.

Last year we got a ton of rain one night, washing out many roads. That was very good info to have before I left for work in the morning.

One thing that always annoyed me was all the people who'd comment on those with things like "stay safe" "hope everyone is ok" and "prayers". I don't mind the sentiment, of course. And I am a Christian and I do pray for many of these accidents when I see them. But what is annoying is when you are looking to see if there's any update on the post, and you've got 100 comments of that to wade through, and often it's easy to miss the update. You also do not want to "subscribe" to any of those posts, unless you want your phone blowing up with a notification of one of those comments every other minute.

One of the groups cracked down on that. At first, they asked people not to post things like that in the comments, so that they could keep the comments to a much more readable size. They explained their rationale (which was basically the same as I wrote above). They were clear that they had no problems with people praying for those, and that many of them went to church as well. It just is not helpful for the comments when you're trying to quickly find information.

But people being people, they didn't stop. So the group went and added "prayers" to their banned list, so comments with that won't show up. And again, they explained why.

And wow! A few people responded like it was their constitutional right to be able to be able to do that, and going on and on about how awful these people were to try to restrict them, etc. And then they were trying to bypass the filter by writing it out in different ways (P.R.A.Y.E.R.S., or using emojis to spell it).

It was really very sad. It reflected very poorly on them and was a very poor testimony.

No one was saying they couldn't or shouldn't pray. Just that commenting "prayers" or similar things were not appropriate nor helpful on emergency update posts where people are trying to quickly find updates.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,423 Posts

People are always trying to announce when they pray in direct contradiction to Jesus advice not to. Unless there is useful info you have to share, you should not comment on emergency info websites. There is no need to "vote" with your comment all the time. Unfortunately the lack of Christian education mirrors the lack of education in general. No noise please.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,759 Times in 8,349 Posts

When my husband was run over there were so many get well messages they had to start a new thread every day. I found that very comforting. I would not want to lose that.

I find it really sad you would find it a good thing, a mod banning prayers. You can bet Bunker Buster is going to be very happy to read all the replies to his get well thread. Even if it is just someone typing "prayers".

As a family member, and a train wreck I assure you family and patients LOVE to read 'that stuff".

If you tell anyone they can't do something that is what they want to do. Look at tattoos. "Don't get one" now every single person has half a dozen, sleeves, facial, etc. The real rebels like me have clear skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
When my husband was run over there were so many get well messages they had to start a new thread every day. I found that very comforting. I would not want to lose that.

I find it really sad you would find it a good thing, a mod banning prayers. You can bet Bunker Buster is going to be very happy to read all the replies to his get well thread. Even if it is just someone typing "prayers".

As a family member, and a train wreck I assure you family and patients LOVE to read 'that stuff".

If you tell anyone they can't do something that is what they want to do. Look at tattoos. "Don't get one" now every single person has half a dozen, sleeves, facial, etc. The real rebels like me have clear skin.
Did you actually read my post? They aren't saying don't pray. They are saying that it's an EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION page, and that that wasn't the place for it, and they explained why - because people can't see the updates for important information.

This is not a personal page. Bunker Buster would not have a thread like that on there. These are emergency notifications - like car accident on the highway between exits 56 and 57. Or gas leak in this area, everyone is advised to stay clear, etc.

There's no personal information posted - personal identities aren't mentioned unless it's something like a missing person or a dangerous person. It's an emergency notification group. Similar to a police radio.

It's one thing to post on Bunker Buster's facebook page, that's where it's appropriate, and good. This is not a personal page of any kind. It's where people are trying to see if a road is still closed, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,224 Times in 5,109 Posts

If you fly or boat, you know that even people who are supposed to know better misuse 121.5 and 16 on occasion. The general population with Facebook? Not a chance. You’d probably have to disable comments altogether to make it work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,759 Times in 8,349 Posts

I'm with Weasels.