ANYONE have an issue with CEMETERIES/GRAVE YARDS? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,120 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
It could be spiritual water...
it is a catholic cemetery.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 12,655 Times in 3,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
it is a catholic cemetery.
people who practice voodoo often try to get dirt from a cemetery for their rituals, they call it goofer dust. Maybe you cold market it that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 PM
Matthew 23:3

Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,227 Posts

I find very old, historical cemeteries interesting. For example, when I was touring the historical sites in Boston many years ago, it was interesting to also visit the Colonial-era cemeteries in the downtown area.

However, I don't really care to spend much time in cemeteries with more recent burials.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:53 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,180 Times in 378 Posts

My Grandfather (and Grandmother) are buried at Fort Logan National Cemetery. I enjoy visiting their grave and fell honored to be amongst such heros. He was on a Vickers crew in WWI (not enough Browning 1917s for the AEF), completed OCS and entered the Army Reserve as an Officer in the 20's, raised kids in the 30's, worked on the Manhattan Project and served in the Red Cross for WWII. He lived until 1986 when I was a kid, dying at age 91 after a very full life. I do get a lump in my throat when I pass the graves of our service members struck down in recent combat, usually identified by the multitudes of flowers on Memorial Day. Fort Logan is also the final resting spot of Danny Dietz of the Operation Red Wings / Lone Survivor engagement, plus many local service members who have given it all to fight terrorism.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,451 Times in 3,061 Posts

They always seemed like a waste of good land to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 02:42 AM
Target Shooter

Work in them most days. Some of the most peaceful, quiet, and clean places in the area. Especially in the warmer months....

Be respectful, realize you're a guest, and leave their (the inhabitants) stuff alone and you'll be fine. Tons of animals (Deer, foxes, skunks, eagles, sand cranes, etc) in them around here. That's always a good sign to me

Creepiest aspect for me is a lot of the headstones in the Serbian and Ukrainian cemeteries around here have portraits of the people on them. That and the one time a black dude in his 40's had a clear, plexiglass casket lol. Felt like he was watching as we lowered him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 02:45 AM

Default hello

i am just fine visiting on a daytime, but i wouldn't go alone at night
The Following User Says Thank You to yohansmith23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 05:56 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,779 Times in 3,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
JUST CURIOUS..

Being a cop you kinda have to be willing to go just about anywhere the job takes you,
BUT
I worked with a few guys who absolutely refused to go into a cemetery for any reason. I worked with one guy who literally did a roll out of the car when I swerved over to take him through the gates of one unexpectedly.
and
While he threatened me with great bodily violence if I ever did it again, it was kinda funny to see the effects. The guy was fearless otherwise but he had a Creole kinda background and I guess it had some influence on him.

Personally I found them fascinating. We had some OLD cemeteries by mid-west standards and reading the headstones of someone born in the 1700s really placed your being human in perspective.

Worked with a guy that absolutely would not go into a cemetery for any reason, except if there were an officer in need of aid call there. A couple other guys got weirded out over cemeteries, too.

I liked the peacefulness of the cemeteries in the middle of the night, but there's a lot of uneven ground and **** to trip over if you're chasing a guy through there when it's dark And gang funerals are *different*
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 AM
I give up

Thanked 19,937 Times in 5,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
JUST CURIOUS..

I worked with a few guys who absolutely refused to go into a cemetery for any reason.

Personally I found them fascinating.
We interred my father in the ancient family crypt. I've visited a few times, shortly after he died. Due to feelings of loss and that it's the only remaining connection I had. But, there is nothing there, not even any visitors to chat with. No feelings of anything what so ever, it's no different than an empty parking lot or empty golf course. No real reason to go there anymore.

The place is utterly fascinating though. Looking at the older grave sites does tell a bit of a story. I kind of wish there were more to learn about the lives of the people. Maybe someone will come up with a wifi grave marker that has a few pictures and a life story.

Of personal interest, I too want to be interred there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,930 Times in 6,751 Posts

Mrs. AZ_HighCountry and I have walked this one:

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 AM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,646 Posts

I like old cemeteries always wondering how they lived back in the day but always see infants and children that didnt make it because of disease. Around here a lot of the older graveyards have tent graves.

When I lived in Hawaii we would explore the heiaus (temples) and the vacant property that was next door to our house had birthing stones. Strange things happened after they bulldozed and built a house on the site but at the time it wasnt recognized as historical. Here is a similar site on Oahu where most royalty was born.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,607 Posts

I have at times wished I had a horn with me so I could sound Taps in a cemetery, especially at sundown.

Not a cemetery but I once found myself in Patriot Park (Pigeon Forge, TN) just at the end of sundown. The scene demanded the sounding of Taps but I didn't have a horn with me. I think I will toss a bugle in my trunk so that I never miss an opportunity like that again.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,892 Times in 13,249 Posts

I generally enjoy visiting cemeteries that are very old, in odd places or have beautiful architecture (New Orleans). I have fewer superstitions and taboos than my Native/Irish ancestry would suggest, but there is one Osage family cemetery near Pawhuska, OK I will never get to within a mile of again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,681 Times in 3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
Creepiest aspect for me is a lot of the headstones in the Serbian and Ukrainian cemeteries around here have portraits of the people on them. ll.
I don't now why that would be "creepy." It's not an Orthodox Christian tradition or requirement, but headstones with photographs/portraits imbedded in them are not uncommon among Orthodox Christian Slavs. It's more of an ethnic thing, than a religious tradition.

However, I've seen headstones in Italy and France with portraits/photos. So, the practice crosses ethnic lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,451 Times in 3,061 Posts

Just throw my corpse to the pigs for all I care. Funerals and cemeteries are for the living.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 55,407 Times in 19,116 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I only have a problem with them if the dead are walking around or if it happens to be the Democrat National Convention.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:24 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 71,290 Times in 21,504 Posts

I only have a problem if the dead are voting.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,010 Times in 2,144 Posts

After college archeology and the cadaver in anatomy, I got over all the those fears and superstitions. I gave instructions for my family to cremate me the dispose of ashes where they wish.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
I don't now why that would be "creepy." It's not an Orthodox Christian tradition or requirement, but headstones with photographs/portraits imbedded in them are not uncommon among Orthodox Christian Slavs. It's more of an ethnic thing, than a religious tradition.

However, I've seen headstones in Italy and France with portraits/photos. So, the practice crosses ethnic lines.
Creepy in the sense its different, and a whole new level to see what the person looked like, and to put a face with a name. Especially when you're burying their spouse or loved one next to them. Or a family member shows up later and they look like the persons mirror image. I realize its not just an Eastern Orthodox thing, but around here 90% of those headstones have the portrait on them, where as I'd say maybe 10% of the others do.

On a side note, I do like how the Serbian funerals usually have a customary shot or two taken at the graveside funeral. Usually the family will want you to take one with them. A quick shot of Johnnie Walker Blue Label isn't a bad way to warm up
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,451 Times in 570 Posts

We have a giant old cemetery next to where we live. Me and my kids would go bike riding there all the time (safe) and I even taught them all how to drive car in there ( couldn`t kill anyone there ) . I love old cemeteries.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sanderhawk For This Useful Post: