Lesson learned on 2.5 Gallon Grocery Store Water - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Water Thread - Links to Major Water Information Mels thinkingitover Food and water 83 08-30-2019 07:18 PM
Best Portable Toilet for SHTF? The Abe Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 01-09-2019 03:10 PM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 26 11-07-2018 12:50 PM
Are any of the Gravity water systems worth it? Primefactor Food and water 19 11-30-2017 07:27 PM
Water, Lesson Learned jmanatee Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 02-02-2017 11:09 PM

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,659 Times in 1,459 Posts

Advertise Here

I have 4 55 gallon blue water barrels that were purpose-designed for LTS of water. I got mine from Emergency Essientials, but many other companies sell them. You need to remember too that 55 gallons of water plus the barrel is approximately 478 gallons times however many you have sitting there. Be sure your floor can handle the loads.

By the way, Zeke - I bought these after reading some of your posts.

The other water storage we use are empty scotch bottles. Heavy duty glass.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,419 Times in 2,779 Posts

Thanks Zeke. I don't drink much, but the little wine I do drink I buy in the gallon glass jugs. They have lots of storage uses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 08:33 AM

Just had to pick on the glass jugs being free. In my area they get sold ( used and new) for $5 a piece or more. There is a guy selling food grade barrels in his yard locally. Be worth it to buy new just so the water isn't leeching soysauce.
Thanks everybody for the info in this thread. !!! I am weak in this area.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 57,381 Times in 19,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faultyphoenix View Post
Just had to pick on the glass jugs being free. In my area they get sold ( used and new) for $5 a piece or more. There is a guy selling food grade barrels in his yard locally. Be worth it to buy new just so the water isn't leeching soysauce.
Thanks everybody for the info in this thread. !!! I am weak in this area.
Never buy food grade barrels just from some guy.

Give me a blue barrel that held industrial solvent and by the end of the day and a couple dollars I can peddle it as a food grade barrel. When I got the barrel it was recycle trash and by the time I'm done I can sell it for $40. I can do the same with an IBC tote too. My point is that scamming you that it is a safe barrel is easy and costs almost nothing. Turning trash into $40 is easy. All these used barrel sellers know that. There are more scammers than legit guys. You cannot trust any used barrel seller. You have to go mooch or buy the barrels yourself from the food/soda companies, or just buy new from a recognized plastics distributor.

There is no markings on any barrel or tote in the plastic itself that signifies it being food grade. All you can rely on is provenance.

Best deal going on a new barrel is $79 from Walmart website delivered free to your door.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,126 Posts

I will vouch for chemicals in barrels. Got a bunch of big barrels cheap from a car wash. No markings to distinguish from the food grade barrels. We got the ones from the car wash to set fence posts in. They have worked great and been out in the weather for over a decade. Point is, someone *could* have cleaned them and sold them as food grade. I worry about my big water tank being in the same category but, I only use that to fill the barn well in a dry year. Not for storage.

I too have canned water. Reused lids as it is no big deal if some don't seal. Interesting how well some lids work on the second use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM

Yep. I purchased those 2.5 gallon jugs years ago for a camping trip along with a couple 1 gallon jugs. By the time I got to where I was going I had no water except what I had brought in 1 gallon jugs.

I haven't purchased the 2.5 gallon jugs since. Seems to me they could make them out of a little heavier plastic, even if it costs 50 cents more it'd be worth the extra cost to not have them leak.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 57,381 Times in 19,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
I will vouch for chemicals in barrels. Got a bunch of big barrels cheap from a car wash. No markings to distinguish from the food grade barrels. We got the ones from the car wash to set fence posts in. They have worked great and been out in the weather for over a decade. Point is, someone *could* have cleaned them and sold them as food grade. I worry about my big water tank being in the same category but, I only use that to fill the barn well in a dry year. Not for storage.

I too have canned water. Reused lids as it is no big deal if some don't seal. Interesting how well some lids work on the second use.
Oh yeah, the used barrels, if clean, can be used for more normal storage too, if they are lid instead of bung type. Or saw the tops off the bung type for catching/holding gray water to clean many things you don't eat off of or bathe in. Holds toilet water just fine as well. Filled with clay or sand they become structural shapes. Definitely useful for many jobs. You just don't want the water out of one on you or in you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoidfishfins View Post
Yep. I purchased those 2.5 gallon jugs years ago for a camping trip along with a couple 1 gallon jugs. By the time I got to where I was going I had no water except what I had brought in 1 gallon jugs.

I haven't purchased the 2.5 gallon jugs since. Seems to me they could make them out of a little heavier plastic, even if it costs 50 cents more it'd be worth the extra cost to not have them leak.
As I mentioned before, the bottled water companies don't care about storage. It's not their business model. Their goal is to get you to use as much as you can as fast as you can. In some respects they are really more of a service, not a production company. They are selling convenience and trust, so you choose them over your tap faucet.

It's really the beer companies that make long storage emergency water. On the Gulf Coast the beer companies do a couple huge runs of just water in beer cans. It can be tricky for preppers to find down here, but I'll snag a case the rare times I see them. But they will truck the stuff to where a hurricane hits land. They pass it out as relief aid. It's good civic duty public relations.

In any case, remember that the water bottle companies are selling convenience, not security. They want low overhead and the extra you might be willing to pay, isn't what most shoppers want. They want price breaks. If you want real water storage then the store bottled water is not the way to go.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,361 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Never buy food grade barrels just from some guy.

Give me a blue barrel that held industrial solvent and by the end of the day and a couple dollars I can peddle it as a food grade barrel. When I got the barrel it was recycle trash and by the time I'm done I can sell it for $40. I can do the same with an IBC tote too. My point is that scamming you that it is a safe barrel is easy and costs almost nothing. Turning trash into $40 is easy. All these used barrel sellers know that. There are more scammers than legit guys. You cannot trust any used barrel seller. You have to go mooch or buy the barrels yourself from the food/soda companies, or just buy new from a recognized plastics distributor.

There is no markings on any barrel or tote in the plastic itself that signifies it being food grade. All you can rely on is provenance.

Best deal going on a new barrel is $79 from Walmart website delivered free to your door.
I got mine from Walmart for $55 a few years ago. I'd seen some on Craigslist now and then, but I was iffy about it because who knows what was in it. So I went with brand new.

For good water storage, it's well worth the security and peace of mind to just go buy it new rather than risk getting something that had who knows what in it.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,361 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graylady View Post
It's not that anyone would want to carry them around but I have canned water in 1 gallon glass ball jars. It has a "forever" shelf life. They sit on the floor of my very full pantry. I wouldn't want to go anywhere with all this food. It is just for the little homestead during tough times. We have used much of them during 2 week long power outages. We hauled pond water in to flush toilets and used canned water for drinking and cooking. We have 2 generators but they won't run everything for 2 weeks.

The other thing is that everything in my wonderful little pantry or even the jugs that everyone keeps will not freeze well.
I have been trying to do this more with my unused canning jars. It doesn't take up any more space.