dealfinder500's Thread - Page 90 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H0ll0P01NTs Pacific NW Garden Thread 2015 H0ll0P01NT Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 12-11-2015 09:27 PM
Dsiee's 2013-14 Garden Thread dsiee Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 21 01-12-2014 11:49 PM
CityKitty's 2013 Garden Thread citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 65 10-21-2013 09:52 AM
IceFire's 2013 Garden Thread IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 07-31-2013 11:24 PM
Jebus11's 2013 Suburban Garden Thread!!! Jebus11 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 06-30-2013 02:31 AM
FarmerChads 2013 Garden Thread FarmerChad Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 53 06-04-2013 09:34 AM
"Spoon"'s 2013 Garden Thread "Spoon" Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 31 05-25-2013 05:28 PM
Chairborn's Urban & Suburban 2013 garden Thread chairbornrangerx Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 04-04-2013 02:15 PM
Triple B's 2013 Garden Thread ButterBeanBomber Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 03-20-2013 12:33 PM
martin armstrong econ collapse 2013, not 2015 stant Financial Forum 17 08-30-2012 09:30 PM

Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,362 Times in 3,537 Posts

Advertise Here

I've been bit with the chicken bug again! (No, I didn't get any!). They are replacing a bridge on the road I normally take to work so I've got to take a detour that takes me into even more back hill roads. I pass at least 6 different houses with chickens!

Today there were a bunch of little hens out near the road. Sure made me wish I had chickens again! I would LOVE to get another Cackle Surprise where you get 40-50 birds of all kinds. Or one of the hatch day specials from Ideal (my favorite place to order from) when sometimes you can get assorted bantams for 90 each!

But no chickens until my plantar fasciitis is gone. And some other things are taken care of, and even then my max should be like a dozen banties or 6 regular. I do miss my little banty Betty. She'd let you just pick her right up.

We were 11 hours today. I'm exhausted. Came home and iced my feet. Now they are in that massager. They are doing better. Near the end of the day I was a bit sore, but I made it. I'm experimenting with a new taping method, and I think that helped. I was really surprised that in nearly 3 months of physical therapy, not once did any of them mention anything about taping.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Well, I've got a phone interview with another company tomorrow. It's for an office job.

I am really torn. I like my company. I like my job. I've been there 5 years now, which means I get an extra week of pay and 2 more paid sick days each year. We are getting a $2 raise next week. My last two paychecks, with tons of overtime, have been AMAZING!

But my feet are really hurting. Not as bad as it was, but I suspect it will get there with the constant use. Plus if I go too long without making rate, I'll get fired. My boss is really nice, but there's only so much he can let go. I've made rate so far, but it's getting difficult.

The only option the foot doctor has left is surgery, I believe. I'm not having surgery for my job! Plus I think I'd be out of work for over a year for that, and then even then a lot of people don't see any improvement from the surgery.

The only thing with this new job is I think it might require working on Sundays, which I can't do. I think the pay will be about what I make now (before the $2 raise). We'll see.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Survivor

On a more positive note... guess what I am enjoying right now?

A delicious sandwich of lettuce and my very first successfully grown Brandywine tomato.

These things are enormous! I don't usually do the big heirlooms because not only do I have a somewhat short growing season, but usually the bugs (or chickens!) get them before they are ripe. 6 or 7 years ago I did a ton of them. I had these enormous Hawaiian Pineapple tomatoes... beautiful, pink and yellow marbled. And slugs got most of them! I think I got maybe 3 or 4.

The sandwich was delicious! I don't know why I put the knife in the sink because I think I'm going to have another!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,983 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
Well, I've got a phone interview with another company tomorrow. It's for an office job.

I am really torn. I like my company. I like my job. I've been there 5 years now, which means I get an extra week of pay and 2 more paid sick days each year. We are getting a $2 raise next week. My last two paychecks, with tons of overtime, have been AMAZING!

But my feet are really hurting. Not as bad as it was, but I suspect it will get there with the constant use. Plus if I go too long without making rate, I'll get fired. My boss is really nice, but there's only so much he can let go. I've made rate so far, but it's getting difficult.

The only option the foot doctor has left is surgery, I believe. I'm not having surgery for my job! Plus I think I'd be out of work for over a year for that, and then even then a lot of people don't see any improvement from the surgery.

The only thing with this new job is I think it might require working on Sundays, which I can't do. I think the pay will be about what I make now (before the $2 raise). We'll see.
I really hope the job thing works out for you. Just trust your gut feeling and the Man Upstairs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Today was interesting.

Work started off pretty good. My feet were doing very good! And I was thinking, maybe I could make it here. I prayed all morning that God would make it clear whether I should stay or go.

By lunch they were sore, and by my 2nd break I was limping very bad. I had tried icing my feet on breaks/lunch, but it was hard to make it work. There's no freezers in the lunchroom, only fridges. I tried bringing frozen water bottles, and while they lasted almost to my 2nd break, after three days of use they are leaking and it was just messy. I tried ice packs, but found, even with 6 ice packs in my lunch bag, come lunch they aren't really cold enough for icing anymore.

Last week the director of the building, he's a really nice guy, he came to give me a card for being there 5 years. I asked him about the possibility of getting a freezer for the break room. He had good reasons not to... we had one before, and it wasn't really used much and often stuff just got left in there for a very long time (months!). He asked me what I wanted it for... I told him ice packs for my feet. He said let me see what I can figure out for you. Then he saw me maybe Monday? limping off to the bathroom. We talked a little bit. I explained my problem I was having keeping ice packs cold very long.

I saw him today in the break room. Anyone who has had plantar fasciitis knows that those first steps from when you've been sitting for a few minutes are the hardest. He saw that and very shortly after that he gave me a foam cooler from RX with some of the RX ice packs. I can keep the cooler in my boss's office (right near the breakroom) and take the ice packs home each day to freeze. These things are NICE! They use them to keep medicine cooled for days in a tote. I put them out in my hot car, and when I went out to go home some 4 hours later, they were still ice. That's pretty cool!

I had asked God to show me which way... maybe that was his answer? I thought that was really awesome that they would do that for me.

I didn't get to do the interview. The lady left a voicemail, but I didn't see a call. I live out in the middle of nowhere so moving the phone an inch by the window can mean the difference between reception and no reception. I called back but she had already left. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 AM
gardener & news junkie

That's super that you have such a great guy who's willing to work with you on the ice packs!

I thought about you yesterday when Tractor Supply's Labor Day Sale flyer came in the mail. Big headline: Chick days! Pullets, bantams, mixed runs and equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Last spring I sold 5 or 6 baby chicks to a guy from work. He's always asking me questions about chickens (most of which could be answered rather quickly on Google!).

He texts me today (he doesn't work there anymore) and asks me what is making his chickens sick. Describes it to me... not good at all. I told him he needs to get The Chicken Health Handbook. I guess he's got some people from the state agriculture (there's a word I'm looking for and I can't think of it) coming to take a look. I thought he had maybe a dozen chickens total. Nope. Almost 70! I guess he got hit by the chicken bug!

What did him in is he just got some new birds (not sure how many) recently. And he didn't quarantine them, and they are what got his flock sick (and I guess the person he got them from's chickens are sick, too).

Not sure what's going to happen - if it's something that can be cured or if he'll have to cull the flock. That will be a hard lesson for him.

I know you should always quarantine new birds. I never did, though I can think of only once (and it was in my first year) that I got an adult bird - a guy from church gave me one of his roosters, because I had all hens. Other than that, as far as I can remember, all of my new acquisitions have always been baby chicks, and almost always from a hatchery. I did get some adult guineas, but they never really went inside the coop anyway, so I don't think they count :-)

Kind of reminds me of when I learned the hard way about always using medicated starter feed. It was that summer that I was unemployed and I must have sold what seemed like a bazillion baby chicks. One batch I cheaped out on and used normal feed. They were doing just fine for a good month or two. I had just put them out in the coop, and all of a sudden they were all dying. These were all hens and I was planning on selling them as started pullets. I had 100 of them, and in less than 4 days I was down to less than 20. But all the other chickens, the ones that had had the medicated feed, they were fine. That was an expensive lesson - all to save at most $10.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,336 Times in 7,348 Posts

I don't have chickens but so sorry to hear about the losses. Tough lesson. Any chance it's avian 'flu or whatever it was that had everyone up in arms a few years ago?
Old 09-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Survivor

I guess they took some samples and he's awaiting the results. Not sure how long that takes.

Work finally approved me for no overtime... for all of 3.5 weeks haha. But I can tell the difference, and my rate has improved. Hopefully the 3.5 weeks will be enough. I also got a new kind of insert - Superfeet Orange. I ordered 4 different kinds from Amazon (it was a try before you buy thing). The first three were iffy. But when I tried on the last one - oh man! I could feel the difference immediately. Much better than anything else I've tried, even the one from before that I thought was a winner.

Fall is finally here. It's starting to get colder, the leaves are starting to change. It's my favorite time of the year. What makes it even better is that there are 3 libraries in the area that have their annual book sales now - and the last day is the bag sale, where it is $3-$5 for as many books as you can shove in a bag.

Today was one of them. I was good and only got 2 bags. Sometimes in the past I have gotten 10+ bags :-) I love nature and reference and history and how-to books. Of course I don't have as much space as I'd like, so I have to reign myself in a bit.

All total I got 30 books at 20 a book - you can't beat that. I scored a nice How to Survive in the Woods book, and in excellent condition. I already have a copy, and I really enjoy it. I'll probably give this one to my nephew. I found a few animal/nature handbooks, a guide to the weather, an excellent coffee table type book on cats that I'll give to my sister, two study Bibles in almost pristine condition that I'll give away, and a few good mysteries to keep me busy this winter.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:25 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
On a more positive note... guess what I am enjoying right now?

A delicious sandwich of lettuce and my very first successfully grown Brandywine tomato.

These things are enormous! I don't usually do the big heirlooms because not only do I have a somewhat short growing season, but usually the bugs (or chickens!) get them before they are ripe. 6 or 7 years ago I did a ton of them. I had these enormous Hawaiian Pineapple tomatoes... beautiful, pink and yellow marbled. And slugs got most of them! I think I got maybe 3 or 4.

The sandwich was delicious! I don't know why I put the knife in the sink because I think I'm going to have another!
Glad you like the Brandywine tomato. Been raising them a long time. Just a suggestion. Grow a few of Amana Orange next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Survivor

The guy messaged me today that the birds will have to be put down. I feel awful for him. The way he spoke about them before, they were all his little pets. Poor guy.

He didn't say what it was, and I didn't ask (yet). This is going to be a very hard lesson for him.

Update: it was Chronic Respiratory Disease.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:24 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,447 Times in 3,005 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

It kind of sounds like virulent Newcastle Disease. I know it's been making the rounds. They've had a LOT of problems with it in California. A lot of people's birds picked it up at chicken shows, then ended up bringing it home and infecting the rest of their flocks.

We've been keeping an eye out here, and practicing biosecurity measures, to keep it away from our birds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Survivor

Fall is here. My favorite season of the year!

I've been getting a bunch of giant tomatoes from the garden! So delicious!

Since I've gotten rid of the chickens, I intend to make most of the main chicken area into garden. This area is separated from the main garden by the coop. I'm hoping to be able to get rid of the coop. It's got a few major problems with it - two of the walls have separated on the bottom by a few inches, and I think I've mentioned the problem before with the floor. It would need quite a bit of work to be safe for chickens again. But I don't really want to have chickens there anyway - it is too far away from the house, plus I don't need the means to have 75+ birds again!

It's still got a lot that would be salvageable. Hopefully I can find someone interested in taking it. I'd like to get it out of the way and then the two garden areas would be connected.

I think that will also make it much easier to take care of in regards to mowing/weed whacking, not to mention I can now have a path going directly to the garden, instead of around the coop, which thanks to the chickens and the hill was always very muddy.

So I am looking forward to that.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Survivor

Good news at work today!

I had applied for another position and today they let me know I got it! It won't be as physically exhausting, though it's a little tedious. But I won't have a rate to worry about. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it gets a tad bit more an hour, too!

I've actually been helping with it the last two weeks. They often throw me into that kind of work, and I like it. I never new they actually created two "official" positions for it - that must have happened while I was out for my feet.

So it worked out perfectly that one of the people is leaving soon.

I'm very happy about this!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Preparing

Congratulations, df500. Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Well, I started the new position Monday. And I love it. It is boring as anything, but I don't mind that - I always have liked mind numbing work because it gives me plenty of time to think.

And the even better part... my feet are doing great! I went back to the full hours this week (and we did 10's every day). I was telling myself as I left work that I think this is the best my feet have felt after a days work this year. In fact, they felt better now, after a 10 hour shift, than they felt at the beginning of work before!

It is such a praise! For a while there I thought I was never going to get any better.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:31 AM
gardener & news junkie

This is super news! Congratulations!
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Preparing

Glad it's all working out for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Yesterday and today I was able to spend a little time outside extending the garden area. Yesterday I picked up a bunch of old junk that had gotten buried in the weeds, and got most of the weeds cleared and the 3 kitty pools dumped (I had used those to water the chickens). Today I had to stop at Dollar General after church for a bag of cat food, and I got a whole car load of cardboard, so I put those on top and then dumped a few bags of leaves on those.

I've still got a lot more of the area to do. I'm not entirely sure if it will be ready for next year, but if not, then the year after. Some of the ground is really nice black dirt but some of it is clay.

A buddy from work does want the coop, so that is awesome. Hopefully he'll be able to get it soon.

I've got this coming week off from work. I've been looking forward to that. Fall is my favorite time of the year! I've got some cleaning projects I'd like to do, some outside things to do, but mostly I just want to relax. I've got a bunch of good mysteries waiting for me!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Well, the first day of staycation did not go as planned.

The only thing I "had" to do was to take the car down to the dealership at 10. It had a recall on it for some stupid electronic thing, but having the recall done got you a free oil change. Dropped it off at 10, and I figured it would take maybe an hour, 2 hours tops.

My mom came and picked me up and I went back to their house. I hadn't heard anything, so around 12:30 I called them, and the lady told me it's not done yet but should be around 1:30. Alright, a bit longer than I expected.

My parents and I hooked my dad's trailer up to his truck and we put all their bagged leaves in it, and took them up to my house. Got back down, took care of the trailer, and mom took me back up there. It was going on 2:30, and I saw my car right out in the parking lot, so it must have been ready. I told mom no need to wait.

I go in, and the lady (the same one who checked me in at 10 and the same one I talked to on the phone) asked me if someone had called me. I told her that she had told me about 1:30. She told me to go take a seat in the waiting lounge and she'd see what's going out. She comes out 10 minutes later and tells me that they car they were working on before mine took longer than they thought and it would be another 30 minutes (that's when it hit me that my car was parked in the same spot I had left it this morning). So they hadn't even touched it. It ended up being another 45 minutes before they came and got me. Grrr! What a waste of a day!

And it was BEAUTIFUL out! I could have done so much outside!

After that I stopped at ALDI to get a few treats for the week and went home. By then I was starting to feel a bit sick. Not sick to my stomach, just really tired and starting to get a headache. I thought it might have been because I was a bit dehydrated - I had only had some coffee at my mom's, but I hadn't planned on being down there all day and didn't have anything else.

I ended up just laying down for a bit before finally getting an ice compress for my head and just going to bed. I must have woke up 40 times during the night - too hot, then too cold, etc. I finally got out of bed about 8, far later than I intended. Feeling mostly better, just my head feels congested. Thankfully, I only have a very slight headache. Headaches are my Achilles's heel. I can put up with most other kinds of pain/discomfort well, but headaches do me in.

Today is looking to be a nice crisp and cool fall day. I'm hoping to get all those leaves dumped out in the garden, and maybe get some of those hay bales moved, too. Back in July, right before I got very sick and in the hospital, that guy had unexpectedly brought a ton of hay bales. I got a good amount of them put on the garden. But it was so far to go, and because of the ditches I had dug for drainage it was hard to cart them, plus hard to maneuver around the coop. But now that I'm working on the new area, that's much closer and the ground is even and I'll be able to pile them up on the garden cart without it toppling over every few feet!

I've got a little black kitten I found outside a few weeks ago. Not sure who the mom is. Two of my indoor cats have adopted her. She tries to feed (though I don't think she gets anything) and they just lay down and let her. But she also eats the dry food. She curled up right in my shoulder pocket last night. It was so sweet! But no, I can't keep another cat. Once she gets a little bigger I've got to find her a home. But I also wanted to wait until after Halloween, since she's all black. Maybe those are just rumors, but why risk it?