Buying multiples of the same pistol for SHTF and protection. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Pistol is Obsolete mauser6863 Firearms General Discussion 87 01-27-2018 03:47 PM
Beretta 92 A1 9mm Pistol (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 07-17-2017 03:27 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 9mm Pistol FDE (11537) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-25-2017 01:14 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P40 2.0 40S&W Pistol (11522) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-24-2017 04:11 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0 9mm Pistol (11521) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-24-2017 04:09 PM

Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
I plan on doing multiple Polymer80 Glock builds for that purpose. No paperwork, can be done cheaply once the tools are purchased (I'll be using it as an excuse to get a drill press and X-Y axis jig) and I plan to have a few that are a little souped up. You can get Sten kits that are easily put together too. I know it's just an iron-sighted 9mm rifle but it's better than just a pistol and having a half dozen or so stashed won't hurt.
Not a bad idea unless you mention it online say in a forum that ATF is certainly watching

Nice move DA (meant in jest)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Ham Extra Class

Thanked 5,517 Times in 1,810 Posts

I am the OP and I should of mentioned in my first post that long guns are already taken care of. But pistols are needed because of the convenience to carry always factor.
I do agree with all the post that pistols are a secondary form of defense and should only be used to fight your way back to your long gun, Or when A long gun is not handy the pistol can at least protect you somewhat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,392 Times in 5,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I think the ideal prepper armory would have about two or three models of guns in it, and about four copies of each one..
If you looked at me from the outside, I'd have a huge arsenal with thousands of rounds. But if you think about it, I have 4 people in the immediate family. Eventually 6 if I can trust spouses. So that's 4 of each plus spare parts and a spare for immediate replacement. I have some handouts for trusted extended family if they are visiting and something happens. My sister in law is a better shot and probably meaner than me. So really 4 of each per family might be a minimum depending on the size of the family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 PM

I once asked a detective friend if hiding guns around the house was a bit over the top. He said he has one hidden every 10 feet and started describing all the cute ways he conceals them

Most of my hidden guns are simply not obvious and the couple that are out, well, one you would have already killed me if you got to it and the other is in a locking holster in plain site. Until you have been taught how to unlock it grabbing it would be unwise.
But, I have layers of security and various deterrents as I believe the best way to win a fight is to avoid it

I am not carrying a gun around my house. A bad guy would need to smash my braced door down and while doable it would sort of alert me and unless he could do it in 2 seconds, line me up and shoot he would be dead before he entered the doorway

Most of my training is in what I feel is the likely ways I might actually have to defend myself and yes if you break in while I am in the bath you will die remembering "when you come to shoot, shoot, don talk" even though you would really never get the chance to say anything anyway but St Peter will get a laugh and show you the clip from TGTB&TU before he sends you to be with Mohammad and Stalin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Target Shooter

I have 2 of the same guns in multiple guns. Makes magazines and other parts easier.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stobor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,165 Times in 4,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post

I am not carrying a gun around my house. A bad guy would need to smash my braced door down and while doable it would sort of alert me and unless he could do it in 2 seconds, line me up and shoot he would be dead before he entered the doorway
Hey, to each their own. You hear this a lot, and I have to wonder how much those who say it, really carry their gun anyway.

I carry mine from the time my pants go on, until they come off at night, and it would seem like a real PITA to have to keep putting it on and taking it off every time I went out to do something.

Then again, we live in a rural area, and you never know whos stopping by and when, and whats up when they do. You either have it on you and have it, or its not on you, and you really dont. There really is no in between.

We have alarms and a couple of big dogs, so no one is getting close to the house without us knowing about it, and that does give you other options, but sometimes youre not in the house, and most of the time those knocking are broke down and dont have cell service, so youre always going to be behind the curve there. If you arent wearing your gun, there really is no curve.

Stashed guns are just more options, but really no substitute for one in your pants.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Originalist

Thanked 1,451 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Hey, to each their own. You hear this a lot, and I have to wonder how much those who say it, really carry their gun anyway.

I carry mine from the time my pants go on, until they come off at night, and it would seem like a real PITA to have to keep putting it on and taking it off every time I went out to do something.

Then again, we live in a rural area, and you never know whos stopping by and when, and whats up when they do. You either have it on you and have it, or its not on you, and you really dont. There really is no in between.

We have alarms and a couple of big dogs, so no one is getting close to the house without us knowing about it, and that does give you other options, but sometimes youre not in the house, and most of the time those knocking are broke down and dont have cell service, so youre always going to be behind the curve there. If you arent wearing your gun, there really is no curve.

Stashed guns are just more options, but really no substitute for one in your pants.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I unfortunately canít carry at work. Itís a corporate environment and against policy. Outside of work Iím carrying most of the time, and can comfortably carry at home as well. To me, consistent carry is all about comfort. I have a carry pistol and holster that is comfortable enough to wear while driving cross country, or sitting around the house. Once you get used to wearing regularly you start to feel naked with out it. Sunglasses, pistol, wallet, cell phone, keys. Donít leave home without them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 61,174 Times in 19,753 Posts

Quote:

The other advantage here is if you carry a BUG, it can instantly become a force multiplier. My wife these days doesnt seem to want to bother carrying hers anymore, at least not regularly, so I can still hand her my 26 and shes at least very familiar with it, and with a quick mag swap and 17 mag in the gun, its basically a 17.
once upon a time I was in New Orleans, wearing a 19 and 26. Safe area, but the guy who I was with was dumb enough not to bring his carry. (Trained, trusted, lisensed) we separated and I pulled out my 19 And handed it to him and stuck my 26 in the 19's holster.
Next time he carried

Im not saying here not to have other things available to play and train with either (that would be pretty boring ), this is simply for whats being carried and whats the "base" for things. Same goes for rifles.
[/IMG]
Manuals of arms, parts, mag compatability....

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post

If you want to spend 5 grand on a dozen mp pistols I guess that's your money. Hopefully you got 100 mags as well
That's something I've been struggling with lately.
(I have closer to 1,000 glock mags. Many free.)
I had about 30. and I got to think about how I could sell the Gocks and buy a car.

So I sold some. Then prices went down. When they are selling for $300....
I cannot help myself.

Up side is a $300 Glock is better than cash IMHO.
Useable, worth AT LEAST that much at any time...

I really need to "pick a number" and sell off the excess. Problem is my horder tendencies and inability to pass up a steal of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
There is something to be said about have multiple same model firearms. But the reality is that a firearm is not suitable for everyone in a group. I have a few Glocks and my wife hates them..... But fitting a firearm to a person isn't necessarily a one fit for all.
May not "like", but "can use"

I didn't like glocks. Still don't.
But I USE them because they are the best tool for the job. (Mainly the Subcompacts and mag interchangability.)

Didn't like the SAW, but could give you your choice of a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 round burst on demand. (sometimes when I went for 1 I'd get 2)
don't have to like a tool to get the job done.
If we were talking daily carry i'd agree with you, but tats not the topic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:

[/IMG]
Both is better.

I once had my guns (with me) confiscated (long story, got them back) and I went to my parents and equipped with duplicates I had stashed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMinuteMan View Post
I unfortunately canít carry at work. Itís a corporate environment and against policy.
They have metal detectors?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 10:59 PM
Originalist

Quote:
They have metal detectors?

No, but my work clothing is not conducive to carrying on my person. Some say ďI would never work at a place...., I guess youíre willing to give your rights...etc.Ē Itís easy to say but the reality is that most of big business have similar policies and not giving up my rights by making a conscious choice to respect my employers decision on how they utilize their private property. I donít agree with it, and Iíve actually raised the issue with our corporationís chief counsel whom I work with and who asked me for feedback when they were updating the policy. I was actually happy that I was able to influence the policy slightly in that they exempted the parking lot from the policy so that people can at least keep firearms in their car. I used Coloradoís laws regarding firearms on school grounds as a precedence to argue that the parking lot is unenforceable and can potentially be considered a public area.

People work in extremely dangerous environments all the time from fishing boats to oil rigs and they do so because they are willing to take the risk because they are well compensated to do so. My position is no different. I have a job I love and Iím compensated generously to do what I love. It affords me the ability to make a real impact on our industry and the compensation allows me to reduce risk in many other parts of my life.

Obviously the point of carrying a firearm is in the unlikely event you will needed it, but everything is a risk assessment, and statistics tell me that I undergo significantly less risk sitting in a well secured building, with better-than-typical security protocol, unarmed than I do when I strap my gun on, get in my truck and drive home. I have a much greater chance dying on the way home in a car accident yet I still traverse the roads.

While in public I donít have the same security bubble around me and have the freedom to choose what I wear and what businesses I visit without impacting my livelihood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,392 Times in 5,829 Posts

I'd get fired. Not worth the risk. My family can collect my insurance. But the guy is going to get a host of scissors, knives, and improvised weapons in the mean time.

I can carry in my car. So leaving my coworkers to die is an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,165 Times in 4,522 Posts

It is risk assessment, and you do what you're comfortable doing. Not knocking what your doing, it's your choice.

I work in NPE's, and unless there are metal detectors, I choose to carry. No one is going to look out for me, better than me.

I always like to point out to those that tell you you can't, that by doing so, they assume all responsibility for my safety. The looks and excuses are usually priceless. The fact I'm wearing a couple of guns, right in front of them, even more so .

The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 6,393 Times in 1,510 Posts

I'm a fan of multiples of the same......

While I love a fine firearm.......

HiPoint 9mm..... x 6

under $800 and darn reliable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Originalist

Quote:
It is risk assessment, and you do what you're comfortable doing. Not knocking what your doing, it's your choice.

I work in NPE's, and unless there are metal detectors, I choose to carry. No one is going to look out for me, better than me.

I always like to point out to those that tell you you can't, that by doing so, they assume all responsibility for my safety. The looks and excuses are usually priceless. The fact I'm wearing a couple of guns, right in front of them, even more so .

We went through a period of layoffs, and have had to fire people. During those times my risk assessment had a slightly different result. I did what I could to ensure I was safe from disgruntled employees, but typically I feel pretty secure. We have better than average security protocol which does help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
No, but my work clothing is not conducive to carrying on my person.
Dis:

Quote:

]
if you don't wanta:
Dont.

Your call.

But I can\have carried in anything from a Tux to a bathing suit. (And I mean a Subcompact Glock, not a mousegun.)

If you WANT TO.... Your stated reason is not a reason not to.
(Again, if you don't wanta, that's your call.)

In a suit I like:
Galco ankle Glove (although with my injuries I can't carry anything bigger than a S&W airweight.)

Smart carry (better than thunderwear IMHO) glock and spare mag or 2.

And a mousegun in the pants pocket so I can "have a gun in my hand already" if needed. (Transfer to coat pocket in winter without anyone seeing.)

Never really liked bellybands, but they work and never tried those mesh undershirts with a holster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 12:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,625 Times in 2,741 Posts

To be honest, my love of handguns have led me to have a nice variety of handguns. Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, revolvers, etc in all sorts of calibers. Those that I consider my SHTF guns, I am set on redundancy, extra magazines, ammo, and training time. But this in no way limits what I decide to purchase when it comes to handguns.

I guess itís the same for my long guns too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 AM
Originalist

Default Buying multiples of the same pistol for SHTF and protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Dis:

if you don't wanta:
Dont.

Your call.

But I can\have carried in anything from a Tux to a bathing suit. (And I mean a Subcompact Glock, not a mousegun.)

If you WANT TO.... Your stated reason is not a reason not to.
(Again, if you don't wanta, that's your call.)

In a suit I like:
Galco ankle Glove (although with my injuries I can't carry anything bigger than a S&W airweight.)

Smart carry (better than thunderwear IMHO) glock and spare mag or 2.

And a mousegun in the pants pocket so I can "have a gun in my hand already" if needed. (Transfer to coat pocket in winter without anyone seeing.)

Never really liked bellybands, but they work and never tried those mesh undershirts with a holster.

In my opinion it is reason not to. I get there are options. Things like ankle holsters or belly holsters are discoverable. Itís one thing to conceal when you are casually interacting with people, but when youíre continually interacting with people day after day statistics arenít in your favor. Shirts ride up, pants sag, pant legs ride up, etc. All it takes is one snowflake to see it and job could be over. Just not worth risking it. I get itís unlikely, I get that there are some great holsters out there, but nothing is 100%. We have armed security who are ex LEO and Iím guessing that that they would also recognize more than most just like I ID every single armed security guard despite they are carrying concealed and dressed in plain clothes.

I carry a 9mm Shield, and itís easy to conceal, and I do often without detection. I also pay absolutely no attention to any sign asking not to carry if it is a business that is open to the public. A facility that is open to the public has no right to deny your ability to arm yourself in my opinion, even if it is privately owned property. To me itís a cost of conducting business that interacts with the public. You give up your right to manage your property as if it was private by inviting the public into your establishment to conduct commerce so donít feel a moral obligation to follow their instructions.

It is also not against the law in CO to carry in a privately owned but publicly accessible building that has a sign asking you not to, however you can be asked to leave a privately owned property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
In my opinion it is reason not to.
ok then, everything else I say will just be academic discussion.I get there are options. Things like ankle holsters or belly holsters are discoverable. It’s one thing to conceal when you are casually interacting with people, but when you’re continually interacting with people day after day statistics aren’t in your favor.
Yea, no.

The tens of thousands (at minimum) people carrying every day in nonpremissive environments prove otherwise.

And tell me:
The only job I can think of that will expose smart carry is "New Employee tester" at the Bunny ranch.....

What do you think would?

Eta: saying "I spot everyone carrying concealed" is just foolish.
You spot all the ones you spot....

Also disagree with you ignoring private property rights, but that's another story.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I think the ideal prepper armory would have about two or three models of guns in it, and about four copies of each one..
I would agree. My 4 horsemen in pics below. ( The 2 rifles in same pic are " expendable.".)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRBM14SABushrifle2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	279304   Click image for larger version

Name:	images (2).jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	279306   Click image for larger version

Name:	151152_66eb3f81bd9396db97a799e16278d07c.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	279308  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,361 Posts

One other rifle that sees alot of use around here.....

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NodakPA.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	279310   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3216_zpsba96814c.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	279312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00328.jpg