Update on Handbrake and MP4 surround sound - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Default Update on Handbrake and MP4 surround sound

Advertise Here

On the is DVD no longer free thread I was trying to get an MP4 file to play in 5.1 surround and thanks for the help I was able to understand why even though I did what looked like surround sound it was saving as stereo.

What was required was changing the Bitrate number to 448 from default 160 and I changed the Dolby to 5.1 channels but Dolby surround or pro might work as well.
Once the program is converted to MP4 you can right click on the icon click properties then click details and it will state if it has 2 or in this case 6 (as in 5.1)
This detail ability does not show on the older XP version of Handbrake but does show on the W10 newer version.

So, I changed the Bitrate to 448 and 5.1 and for the first time have 6 channels but when I run it via the HDMI from my laptop to my receiver it is still in stereo (although I get some muffled sounds through the center speaker) but no surround.
So, I take the external with this show and plug it into my old XP with the surround sound audio card and low and behold it works all 5 speakers as it should.

I tried this because it dawned on me my new laptop does not have a sound card like my old tower or not a surround one (I put that in for games/sims) so now I have to call MSI and find out if there is a way to install 5.1 in the laptop.
Unfortunately my old XP tower does not have HDMI or I could just run my 25 foot HDMI from it to the receiver ( that sends the video signal only to the TV) meaning I may have spent a great deal of time to learn how do to something I will never be able to use
Such is life

But, since some here helped me learn enough to try some things that eventually did get some answers perhaps some of you will be able to run surround with MP4
Good luck but know having a surround sound card in your computer is required to make that happen
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfmann For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 PM
One day at a time ...

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,129 Posts

Does your receiver have a USB port that you can connect a hard drive or thumb drive to?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:00 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Use VLC movie player and see if you have your surround sound output. For what it's worth, all of the container files (mp4, mkv, etc) can contain 5.1 output. Which version of 5.1? Also, some devices do not support surround, so be wary of that when testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Oh... AAC is better quality, but supported by less equipment. This is why most use AC3.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomArnold View Post
Does your receiver have a USB port that you can connect a hard drive or thumb drive to?
Yes.

However, when I put a thumb drive in it shows my MP4 but when I click to play it says "unable to play".
I tried 2 different external drives and it says "access error, no device" for both of them
Old 09-28-2018, 01:03 AM
One day at a time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
Yes.

However, when I put a thumb drive in it shows my MP4 but when I click to play it says "unable to play".
I tried 2 different external drives and it says "access error, no device" for both of them
Does your receiver actually support MP4 AND the codec you used? What about the bit rate? Some equipment has an upper limit on the bit rate that they support and if your file exceeds this it won't play. It may not be a USB drive issue but a file issue.

The manual for your receiver is your friend. Check it to see exactly what the receiver wants and encode the files to match.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomArnold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 12:42 PM

From the Yamaha RX-V573 manual regarding USB page 48:

PLAYBACK

The unit supports USB mass storage class devices (FAT 16 or FAT 32 format, except USB HDDs).
The unit supports WAV (PCM format only), MP3, WMA and MPEG-4 AAC files

As I stated it tried to play the MP4 but could not

I am attempting a new dvd to MPEG4 with AAC (Which I have not used before) but I did increase the default bitrate from 160 to 448 as 448 is the lowest it will encode 5.1 and if it has to have less bitrate to work on this receiver via USB it will be stereo and the whole point is finding a way to get 5.1 sound

Since it would not recognize my external drives I assume when it said "(FAT 16 or FAT 32 format, except USB HDDs)" it meant it would not play off of hard drives.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 AM
One day at a time ...

That page refers to playing audio files from an Apple device. On the same page it also says that the USB connection alone only supports audio playback. To get video you must use both the USB and the composite video ports.

"You can play back iPod music on the unit using a USB cable
supplied with the iPod.
• Some features may not be compatible, depending on the model or software
version of the iPod.
• To play back iPod videos on the unit, an Apple Composite AV Cable (not supplied)
is required. Connect the USB and composite video plugs of the Apple Composite
AV cable to the USB jack and VIDEO AUX (VIDEO) jack of the unit, and connect
your TV and the unit with a video pin cable (p.22). To select a video, operate the
iPod itself in the simple play mode (p.48)."

On page 50 the manual talks about connecting USB devices other than Apple products. Again it says that only audio is supported and not video.

So the problem is that your receiver does not support playing video from a USB connected device. HDMI and component connections are the only ways to send video through this receiver.

In a few reviews the reviewers found that the support of USB drives was spotty. Not all drives successfully played audio files. Flash drives didn't have any problems (again for audio only and not video). For mechanical hard drives the USB port doesn't provide enough power a drive so the hard drive must be externally powered by an AC adapter.

That is a moot issue anyway since even if you had a USB device that the receiver will work with video playback isn't supported.

The short version is that you can't do what you want to with the receiver you have
The Following User Says Thank You to TomArnold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2018, 04:41 PM

I had read past the I-pod page to the USB and I did try a powered external, no use, will not show it at all only thumb drives.

It does play MP3 and though it says MPEG4 as you stated no video with this receiver. I was hoping it meant I could use MPEG4 video but only if the out from this receiver was HDMI to the TV to send the video signal but what that actually meant was the menu display could only be viewed on a TV via HDMI not that it would play a video signal. Guess I saw what I hoped for

Not going to buy a new receiver just to avoid making a DVD

It would be nice if MP4 could be played on the DVD player. That would be a lot of programing on one disc but saving 20 cents was never the concern. It was the time to do everything that MP4 could have lessened

It is nice to know it will play MP3 from a jump drive. I least I got something out of all this

Plus, I now know how to make MP4 with 5.1 even if it will only play stereo from this laptop (assume it has to have a surround sound card to run 5.1 to the receiver)

I will call MSI but my guess is this is not something I can add to a laptop which would be easy to add to a tower.

My XP has surround but is an AM2 board without HDMI so even with a long HDMI cord its a no go

I was so close but no cigar although I did learn a bunch from all the help on this thread and I thank you all for that and hope others who followed this also gain something