Wannamacher gun show in Tulsa this weekend - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2019, 01:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,634 Posts
Default Wannamacher gun show in Tulsa this weekend

Advertise Here

Absolutely the worst Wannemacher show I have ever been to. No one there at all comparatively in m 20 years of going. Was there 6 hours and only observed 6 transactions!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,025 Times in 9,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Absolutely the worst Wannemacher show I have ever been to. No one there at all comparatively in m 20 years of going. Was there 6 hours and only observed 6 transactions!
I went there for the primary purpose of buying a relatively rare version of the Savage 24.
I spotted a person in line ahead of me with exactly what I wanted, and bought it before 0830.

Dont know what show you attended, but I was well prepared, and cleared my entire list before noon.
Then I celibrated with a Brat from the Wurst Hut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 59,546 Times in 19,320 Posts

What cal/guage?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,942 Times in 692 Posts

A friend of mine had a table and sold several pistols and bought a S & W pistol that he had been searching for for awhile. He seemed very pleased with the show.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
What cal/guage?
I planned to buy a Savage 24 in 3030 over 20 ga, and I found it before I even got in the building. I ended up paying $500, but I wil be altering the sights because my eyesight is no longer sharp enough to use irons.

I am looking at a receiver sight intended for a Marlin 1894, and a glow tube front sight on a tall ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_104040.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	293892  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Prepared

I thought it was a busy show. The prices now are such that you can generally find the desired item on the internet for the same, and in many circumstances for less, money. It’s fun to go look but the deals are typically made person to person and not through dealers.
We went and even had a couple buddies travel to attend. They really enjoyed and were overwhelmed at the size and scope.
I bought a close out knife for the battle belt and some cigars. Was a good weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glockpride For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I went there for the primary purpose of buying a relatively rare version of the Savage 24.
I spotted a person in line ahead of me with exactly what I wanted, and bought it before 0830.

Dont know what show you attended, but I was well prepared, and cleared my entire list before noon.
Then I celibrated with a Brat from the Wurst Hut.
I actually went with a friend (My sole purpose was to help him sell his couple of firearms) I had a short buying list and met it easily, because this was a buying show, not a selling or trading show. Could have shot a shotgun down any aisle and not hit anyone there were so few people in attendance. Had the hamburger myself. Did you realize that maybe 50% of the guns there were priced at over $1000? Saturday is the best day and I did go on a Sunday, but this show sucked pretty hard for the show that this is. A definite buyer's show. Venders were packing u and leaving at noon. They do that at other shows, but this is the Wannamacher Show!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Have any of you gone to this show historically? Personally, have not been in 10 years, but it had always been wall to wall people and money everywhere, people buying and selling. Been going to this show since the mid 80s. Stopped going because there were just too many people.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I actually went with a friend (My sole purpose was to help him sell his couple of firearms) I had a short buying list and met it easily, because this was a buying show, not a selling or trading show. Could have shot a shotgun down any aisle and not hit anyone there were so few people in attendance. Had the hamburger myself. Did you realize that maybe 50% of the guns there were priced at over $1000? Saturday is the best day and I did go on a Sunday, but this show sucked pretty hard for the show that this is. A definite buyer's show. Venders were packing u and leaving at noon. They do that at other shows, but this is the Wannamacher Show!
I have attended the Wanamaker perhaps six times in the last eight yrs, and several smaller show in the area as well.

Perhaps folks with longer experience will chime in, but I go to the Wanamaker when Im looking for reloading supplies, or a rare gun like the Savage.

Personally I dont like the crowds that often choke the aisles, but I do like looking at the expensive antique weapons.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I have attended the Wanamaker perhaps six times in the last eight yrs, and several smaller show in the area as well.

Perhaps folks with longer experience will chime in, but I go to the Wanamaker when Im looking for reloading supplies, or a rare gun like the Savage.

Personally I dont like the crowds that often choke the aisles, but I do like looking at the expensive antique weapons.
I should have explained myself better in my original post. I use gun shows as economic indicators. The Wannamaker shows are always and sometimes the only shows that have never been affected by the economy. I talked to several dealers and they all said they hoped Sunday would be better than Saturday. I like the vendors to make money. The lack of people at the show really concerned me. To see vendors packing up and leaving at noon was not a good sign. I used to vend at gun shows myself in Ohio. There were many bargains to be had as well as so many overpriced guns. My friend took a Remington 742, 30-06 that was minty clean and couldn't sell it for $300. He also had a Perdesoli, Sharps Cavalry Rifle in 54 caliber, unfired and no one had any interest. The Wannamacher show used to always have crowds that completely choked the aisles. It just showed me that there is not as much money on the streets. I like Savage 99s myself and could have picked up more than a couple very reasonable but I have already bought 2 rifles this month. lol
Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Prepared

It seemed pretty slow to me to, not nearly as many guns changing hands like in the past. Even two years ago it was different. I was concerned Saturday when a lot of dealers were covering their products up nearly 1.5 hours early and skipping out.

I have three friends that have been working the same tables for many years now. Two of them made very little money while the third did better but he walked around a lot and made contact with folks walking around with their guns.

Some of my observations was that there wasn't really that many people there. And the ones that were there didn't seem to be buying too much.

Really not too many people showing up with ARs to sell/trade. More SKS it seemed like. The ARs that my friends bought were all good guns and they gave no more than $300 for anything.

I think people are putting too much of a monetary value on their guns. Most of the stuff there was really overpriced in my opinion. And lots of guys just sitting on stuff they have no chance of selling at the prices they are asking. Not even moving off of their asking price.

We were talking about what this show is going to look like in 10-20 years when 80% of those guys behind the tables are 6 feet under. And who is going to be buying all of these collectible guns? Most likely they will either go to auction or be passed down and sold. Personally I think there may some serious decreases in collectible prices down the road. The millenials really don't have much of any interest in this stuff. And my age the gen x'ers are probably not much better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,992 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
What cal/guage?
A 20 mm brat on a 40 mm bun
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,735 Times in 6,029 Posts

IMHO all the Gun Shows have been way overpriced for a while , I did not make it this year but last year , just bought a scope , a few mags and some ammo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 PM

I have always wanted to go just to say i have seen it. As a previous poster stated, most new market items are cheaper online. I only go to shows for rare vintage stuff. I can build a better AR with parts I order, but I want to go and see antique guns and rare ammo you don't see every day. So mostly I go to specialty shows (cartridge collector shows, militaria auctions, regional gun collector association shows, etc).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NorthernWoods For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWoods View Post
I have always wanted to go just to say i have seen it. As a previous poster stated, most new market items are cheaper online. I only go to shows for rare vintage stuff. I can build a better AR with parts I order, but I want to go and see antique guns and rare ammo you don't see every day. So mostly I go to specialty shows (cartridge collector shows, militaria auctions, regional gun collector association shows, etc).
If the historical and vintage stuff is your thing then you should really get down there, you'll love it.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,905 Posts

Referring to gun shows in general and local gun shows in particular:
Yes, the prices are no bargain. Yes, you have to add in the cost of the ticket to the purchase. Yes, you have to deal with the crowds. And yes the bull**** flows swift and deep.

BUT, The first table I walked up to had the pistol I made the trip for and the local shop said were impossible to get. I was also able to source many of the parts needed to finish some projects that had been on hold for awhile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 6,601 Times in 1,952 Posts

Collector guns seem to have lost their allure. Partly due to internet auctions driving up the prices, I think. Asking prices anyway but military collectibles...yeah, they get $500 for a Moisn 91/30. $400 tokerev's and US military stuff, wow. Not too many people buying at those inflated prices but they buy. Sporting guns, 870's Remington bolt guns, semi-autos....not much movement. The AR market is pretty much saturated. One observation many of my compadres have made is "sporting/collectible" guns aren't moving but "tool" guns like EDC guns, defensive guns, ammo, related stuff does move. Almost like people are....you know. I don't have to say it, do I?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell Torrey View Post
Collector guns seem to have lost their allure. Partly due to internet auctions driving up the prices, I think. Asking prices anyway but military collectibles...yeah, they get $500 for a Moisn 91/30. $400 tokerev's and US military stuff, wow. Not too many people buying at those inflated prices but they buy. Sporting guns, 870's Remington bolt guns, semi-autos....not much movement. The AR market is pretty much saturated. One observation many of my compadres have made is "sporting/collectible" guns aren't moving but "tool" guns like EDC guns, defensive guns, ammo, related stuff does move. Almost like people are....you know. I don't have to say it, do I?
Very rightly said collectors guns have shot up in price in the last ten years
The Following User Says Thank You to lastshot308 For This Useful Post: