Amber Guyger guilty of murder - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 33,602 Times in 9,077 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
I'm really suprised it wasn't 2nd degee instead of 1st. Though there was really bad judgement on her part it's not like she plotted and set out to kill the guy. I imagine there will now be an appeal..
The way I understand it Texas only has murder or capitol murder. So maybe murder is murder 2?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,310 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
The jury was offered the lesser charge of manslaughter. They rejected that and found her guilty of murder one. Since the jury heard all the evidence, and I didnít, I will respect their decision.
I listen to it live except the part where they jury went to deliberate. If I would have been on the jury it would have been a hung jury!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,494 Times in 7,835 Posts

It seems entirely implausible to enter the wrong apartment and shoot a totally innocent unarmed person twice in head and chest shots (requiring some aiming/skill, suggesting full frontal facing the person, requiring drawing a firearm and aiming) and claiming it be a mistake of location as a reasonable defense.

Totally unreasonable.

It's beyond a reasonable doubt there was some premeditation. Preparation doesn't mean/require days, hours, or even minutes. Preparation/premeditation can occur in a few moments.

I understand apartment parking garages and floors might look alike (some don't, and some purposefully color coordinate for easier navigation), and I'd be curious if these did, and curious if the interiors were alike in decor. Regardless, she had a few moments when she entered to see an unarmed man watching television, draw firearm, aim, and double tap.

In the law, in general, you are not entitled to self defense if you create the exigency that mandates your own use of force... e.g. you can't "start the fight" and then claim defense. Here that seems what she did, whether mistakenly or not, by starting the altercation and then ending it with lethal force. I'm not a TX lawyer but surprised she was even allowed a self defense instruction.

Based on my understanding of the case, this was the only and correct decision. Kudos to the jury.

There are some key learning lessons.
1. Always lock your exterior doors. A simple $1 lock meant the different in ruining many lives including the deceased. A lock would have forced her to fumble with the door and recognize her error. He's not at fault, but it is just a bad choice that had a key causal relationship to his death. LOCK YOUR DOORS.

2. Better situational awareness on her part would have meant only a embarrassing encounter and a laugh as she entered the wrong apartment and startled the homeowner. They'd likely have laughed and parted ways.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 05:00 PM

IF she truly was mistaken, then Murder 1 is a little steep, imo. Sadly, only she and God know the truth.

I respect the jury's decision.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,310 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I stopped watching at 1:40 when the race card was played.

I agree with libshooter but add to that. She went into the apartment finding him meaning she could have retreated. She said she intended to kill the man. From what I know I think that was the deciding factor.
Yep she sure could have and sure should have which is why she shouldnt have got off scott free which is why I would have supported negilgent homicide. But your right poor wording on her part when she said "she intended to kill him" was her biggest mistake and will cost her dearly. She made a number of horrendous gaffes that ultimately resulted in a trajidy for sure. But this case was more about race than it wasnt, make no mistake about it!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,494 Times in 7,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalspooker View Post
IF she truly was mistaken, then Murder 1 is a little steep, imo. Sadly, only she and God know the truth.

I respect the jury's decision.
Tired or not (and a 13 hour shift is not unreasonable, many professionals do it routinely), let's walk ourselves thru the "mistakes" which she didn't catch.

1. Parked on the wrong parking garage floor. (We don't know if they looked dis-similar, but if they did that would cut against her even more.)

2. Went to the wrong door, which probably at least had a different apartment number plainly visible. (We don't know if they looked dis-similar, but if they did that would cut against her even more.)

3. Opened the wrong door into the interior of the apartment.

4. It is implausible to believe the interior looked/decor was the same. Other than the structure, everything from furniture, electronics, and decor and even smell would be presumably unmistakeably different.

5. The stranger watching TV would be a dead-giveaway to the error.

6. Drew firearm. The fastest professionals take 1 second to draw. I presume in her "tired" state she would take at least a couple of seconds to fumble and draw. Aim and fire twice.

7. Why shoot? What was the man's demeanor or "threatening posture?"

8. And she's alleged to have changed her story...

Jury came to correct decision.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Prepared

she got what she deserved serve and protect.not sexting and slightly confused just a dumb arse with a gun.the guy was eating ice cream and watching tv some threat there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curt mini14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,241 Times in 2,695 Posts

I only know about this case from a Styx Hexenhammer video. As I understand it she walked into the wrong apt. thinking it was hers, panicked when she saw the rightful apt. resident inside & shot him to death thinking he was a home invader. Then the scum bag used "Castle Doctrine" as her excuse for the killing.

I can see the Globalists using this case as an excuse to go after Castle Doctrine laws & they actually have a point in this case. Glad the Bitch was found guilty & I pray she doesn't get off on an appeal, as her conviction is the best defense we have to preserve Castle Doctrine.

She could have just as easily walked into YOUR apt. (if you had one) & killed you & then tried to hide behind Castle Doctrine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuggle Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 46,881 Times in 9,826 Posts

Good result. I’m going to work my fifth 12 hour night shift in a row tonight. After I get off, if I go to someone else’s house and kill them, I’d get Murder 1.

12 hour shifts aren’t unusual in America.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:51 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,308 Times in 9,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
2. Went to the wrong door, which probably at least had a different apartment number plainly visible. (We don't know if they looked dis-similar, but if they did that would cut against her even more.)
We do know that Mr. Jeanís apartment had a bright red doormat out front that the shooterís apartment did not have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,461 Times in 8,206 Posts

According to a "black" radio station that was played for me on the way home today, he also had some sort of decoration on his door as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 33,602 Times in 9,077 Posts

Anything less than 20-50 years will be a travesty.
The Following User Says Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,300 Times in 3,836 Posts

But this case was more about race than it wasnt, make no mistake about it!

Iím going to assume youíre being funny because no one could be stupid enough to think this case or itís prosecution had anything to do with race
The Following User Says Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
Good result. Iím going to work my fifth 12 hour night shift in a row tonight. After I get off, if I go to someone elseís house and kill them, Iíd get Murder 1.

12 hour shifts arenít unusual in America.
The fact she was a cop doesn't matter as she was off duty. Tired...most adults are tired because our jobs require us to work long shifts/odd hours/ kids or other responsibilities that lower our hours of sleep. She entered a strangers place of residence and shot him dead. That is mistake where there is no excuse and you must pay the price (jail time) as this man siting on his couch eating ice cream paid a much bigger price....for her error
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoopFrog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
Good result. Iím going to work my fifth 12 hour night shift in a row tonight. After I get off, if I go to someone elseís house and kill them, Iíd get Murder 1.

12 hour shifts arenít unusual in America.
I was on six days this week and worked about 65 hours and with my wife and I schedule with the kids I got about 5 hours of sleep a night. Tired as **** and much older than this lady and there is no way I would enter the wrong house much less shoot someone when I did. Tired is not a plausible excuse. I wonder if they drug/alcohol tested her?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:39 AM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,863 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Faith in American justice temporarily restored - But, I'm going to hold off doing the happy dance until after appeal and she is sentenced. FAR too many confessed and convicted people have gotten a slap on the wrist recently and none of them were a pretty blonde cop.
Doing a happy dance because lives were destroyed? You really need to look in the mirror and do some evaluating. There is nothing to rejoice over at all. It's obvious you have some animosity because she's a "pretty blonde cop" Maybe you are just projecting because you have been ugly and over weight the majority of your life? She was incredibly stupid but your anger directed at her looks rather than actions tell me a lot about who you are as a person.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 AM

Can't agree with the verdict. She didn't know the guy she killed, hand no history with him, didn't walk in and shoot him while he was sitting down, had no drugs or alcohol in her system, and looked like she weighed about a buck twenty soaking wet. If she'd been a 6'2" 200lb guy she might have responded differently. What she did was stupid and irresponsible, but in her mind, she walked into her apartment and a stranger came towards her.
I was fishing on the side of a river a few years back, and a seedy-looking guy walked up to my truck and opened the door. I pulled my pistol, and when he saw me he threw his hands up and told me that he had a truck like mine that was stolen a few months before. Turned out that he was working on a road crew on the other side of the river and when he saw my truck he came over to investigate. He called the other guys on the crew to come over and vouch for him. If he'd been armed, he might have shot me.
His truck was the same year and color as mine and even had the same factory wheels. The cops came down and verified that I had three years' worth of registration in the glove box.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,071 Times in 436 Posts

She was distracted sexting to some guy on the phone. The apts are not in a really good neighborhood. She did work extra hours that day, but not so much she couldnt unwind with a little bit of huchy coochy later on. She admitted her intent was to kill him.

There are many accounts of other tenants to mistake the wrong floor and apt for theirs. But none of them shot the actual tenant, until now.

I dont think murder was correct, but she is very guilty of being stupid and should have been convicted with some level of manslaughter.

I expect she gets the minimum 5 years, or eligible for parole in that time. It will likely be appealed and drag on for another year or so. Working with the dregs of society every day, does leave you with a bad stereotype of the local riffraff.

Thought it was funny when attorney tried to introduce the castle doctrine in her defense. Makes sense, you walk in someone elses home and kill the owner thinking it was your place.....right.

There are no laws on the books that generally cover this situation. Except for some vague mistaken or accidental homicide that doesnt really pertain to this case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordtrucksforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 04:08 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,999 Times in 7,514 Posts

I simply don't believe she didn't know she was walking into someone else's apartment. But it's hard to prove that without some sort of evidence that she knew the guy. Here we'd have a solid 1st degree manslaughter, but I don't know how Texas classifies these things. Regardless, she doesn't get civilian use of force rights. She legally has to obey the same laws as civilians AND department policy. Highly doubt this was within department policy, thus likely considered criminal even if it was her home.

As a cop she should have been used to the standard that even the most innocent accident without any negligence will always be considered 100% your fault and unforgivable no matter the circumstances. The fact that even according to her story she was insanely reckless and negligent many times over should have told her to just give up.

Anyway, your average life sentence is about 12 years long. Expect her back out before 2030. That's not special treatment. That's just normal. Given that she's a woman she can be expected to definitely do even less than the average.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,308 Times in 9,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavrilo princip View Post
Can't agree with the verdict. She didn't know the guy she killed, hand no history with him, didn't walk in and shoot him while he was sitting down, had no drugs or alcohol in her system, and looked like she weighed about a buck twenty soaking wet.
This would be a good case for the ďreasonable personĒ standard. Would a reasonable person know that the apartment on a different floor with a different door mat and different furniture be able to determine she entered a different apartment? I think so.

She was negligent but she did not kill Mr. Jean by mistake. She drew her weapon and shot him three or four times right in the chest. The fact that her negligence caused her to be in a position in which she chose to kill an innocent man is not a mitigating circumstance.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post: