$1.3+ BILLION powerball...just how rich before you hire personal security guards? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for Security Guards, Officers, Personnel 4795209 General Discussion 2 09-04-2013 02:32 PM
Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney ShaynaGirl General Discussion 21 05-15-2013 08:36 AM
Hypocrisy of Rich and Powerful People with Armed Guards Trying to Restrict Gun Owners SharpDog Political News and Discussion 4 03-31-2013 11:06 PM
TSA lets airports hire before clearances completed because of backlog in security che Fracture_U General Discussion 4 04-26-2012 08:34 PM
Security Guards violating rights BJJ_Grappler General Discussion 53 06-12-2011 10:51 PM
GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion to deficit, panel finds FXjohn Political News and Discussion 36 08-15-2010 09:41 PM
Security Guards Stand By as Girl Brutally Attacked CAV104 General Discussion 75 05-10-2010 05:58 PM
US embassy in Liberia seized by it's own security guards? danpauselius General Discussion 8 05-12-2009 11:14 AM
Personal Security and Personal Communication Devices 411man General Discussion 0 03-19-2009 08:46 AM
Concealed Carry versus Security Guards Micah525 General Discussion 13 12-13-2007 11:53 AM

Old 01-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,581 Times in 667 Posts

Advertise Here

I've thought of this as well. Not sure if it's true, but I've read several articles claiming you are 20 times more likely to be murdered/kidnapped after winning the lottery. I've had this convo with my husband and he always says, ASAP he is going to get the money. I'm more of a planning type of person. Get some lawyers, change my name, phone number, I'd probably change my looks as well. I don't see the point into rushing to get the money. That's why so many people end up broke.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rikken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,684 Times in 7,906 Posts

Alledged experts say to leave for a month or two after your name gets out. Also the LLC route seems to be at least a stop-gap for hiding your name but isn't perfect. But you really need to talk to a estate attorney, a financial person and probably tax lawyer before you even claim it.

The odds are so high, I'm not counting on winning although I did buy three tickets for it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,530 Times in 13,327 Posts

If it were me?

I'd claim anonymously (my state allows this) through a shelf corporation or with myself as the sole shareholder (or possibly some more advantageous structure, I'd do the research if it came to that). Put large portions into safe and solid low-yield investments as a fallback, set up trust funds for all my family and friends that gave them a comfortable income without making them absolutely filthy rich, from that anonymous structure, so nobody would know who it was. The same company would also give me income as well, so it wouldn't look strange that I recently gained newfound wealth. Of course I'd be getting more than everyone else, but it wouldn't be really obvious to anyone who wasn't paying close attention. If I needed to explain it, I'd start a small business somewhere with marginal output, and cite it as my revenue driver. Someone would have to see the financial records to know any different.

No "conspicuous consumption". Otherwise my family and myself become potential kidnapping targets.

All the money in the world wouldn't be worth it if my family suffered. Important to keep that in mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 122,497 Times in 24,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Would a recoilless rifle mounted on a Mule at the front gate be a bit to much
For the mule, yes.

Maybe.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 122,497 Times in 24,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
I think 1.5 billion would be way too much of a good thing! Unless of course you have grown children that also happen to be financial planners.

The stress involved with managing that amount of money would ruin it for me. There would be this huge obligation to "do right" by whomever the money benefits (whether it be offspring or in my case animal rescue charities etc...). It would be full time job. That much money attracts evil people even after death, we all remember what happened to Leona Helmsley's estate.

I would much rather win 10 million and be able to focus on my own selfish agenda.

As far as private security that would be kind of cool, though a few million would still provide plenty of options for security even if it isn't a dedicated staff. A large plot of land/homestead with a couple of smaller houses for live in ex-military folks comes to mind, if they live there they won't be likely to "run home" if the shtf.
$1.5 B would spay and neuter a LOT OF cats. But if you REALLY want to do some good, neuter the hoodrats instead.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't think....so

Thanked 1,330 Times in 294 Posts

To answer the OP's original question: you are in a little danger if you win a million. You will endure harassment and probably physical provocation around 10 million. If you won 1.5 billion and people found out...you would need security immediately. The key is: win and no one can know it was you who won.

I would not need security forces. No one would know I won. Including my children.

Last edited by 3jacks; 01-12-2016 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Add info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,588 Times in 17,049 Posts

Maybe at first until I get my Island bought and compound and infrastructure built.

Then what?

Radar, 50 cal's and torpedoes?

Look at this one...25 million for 3700 acres

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/.../cebaco-island
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
For the mule, yes.
The 4 wheeled kind

I guess your not old enough ?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
Maybe at first until I get my Island bought and compound and infrastructure built.

Then what?

The catch-22 of being rich and needing bodyguards is this:

if someone is strong enough, close enough, and well-armed enough to defend you, they also make ideal partners in crime to kidnap you. who is closer and has more opportunity? how much could you pay them, that they would not be tempted for a far larger payout?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,025 Posts

Form an LLC in a state requiring the filer, not the owners name.

Have your firms attorney file for the win and move the money to a corporate account

Form a non profit with great goals owned by the LLC

You be corporate employee of the non profit in a state with no income tax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,124 Times in 2,709 Posts

You betcha! Even people who win just 1 mil get strange people jumping out from bushes trying to get them to donate to "their mother's kidney surgery", "Their daughter's braces", "Their grandpa's cancer treatments". Media and every nut case in the state will camp on your lawn. I saw one guy here who won 10 mil, his yard looked like a refugee camp, literally. Grass worn away, trash all over, tents and lean-tos. They were there before he even got home from turning in the ticket. He never went back to that house again.

One guy in Texas had 3 men sue him for "alienating their wife's affections", and he'd never laid eyes on these women! The men claimed their wife saw his picture and story, and thought he was more attractive than their own husbands.

Yeah, put that ticket in a safe deposit box, hire a PARTNER from a big law firm (no junior members), set up trust funds, hire bodyguards. THEN turn in the ticket. (Of course, if you have a bit of money of your own already, do all this from a beach in the Caribbean.)
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Master Rationalizer

Thanked 4,435 Times in 1,252 Posts

Hire armed security?? Why? I already have it. Of the people I associate with, there is rarely a time when the number of people is greater than the number of firearms being carried among us. With that kind of win we'd all just be spending more time at the range anyway.

On a serious note, it's a problem I'm likely never to face. If it came down to 50/50 odds for me, it would still be a100% chance I'd not get it. And if by some freak of the cosmos I do, I'd disappear faster than the last pbr at a BBQ. That's about all the details I'll be sharing on that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CORangefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 04:03 PM
I love this forum

$1.5 -- but who's counting ?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post
Form an LLC in a state requiring the filer, not the owners name.

Have your firms attorney file for the win and move the money to a corporate account

Form a non profit with great goals owned by the LLC

You be corporate employee of the non profit in a state with no income tax
MAKE SURE that in your state such organizations can legally accept such a ticket's proceeds, i remember a story - can't remember but thinking from Georgia or Texas, where they tried to have their corporation or non-profit or whatever claim it, and since that was not legal in their state they actually *tore the ticket up* and got NOTHING
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,678 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

Then what?

Yep, this would be me.

Have the main compound built then have an equipment company drop off a dozer, excavator, etc so I could play . Add in 200 head of beef and a couple dozen horses and it will be a playground.

The main issue would be the laws governing the place above. No guns, no me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,359 Times in 9,424 Posts

I have enough trusted family and friends, that we wouldn't need paid security guards, especially when we move to a huge remote bug-out property.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,660 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Would a recoilless rifle mounted on a Mule at the front gate be a bit to much
You're thinking small.....remember, you're a billionaire and gotta show some style. Like a matching set of M-1 Abrahms at the gate, 2 Bradleys near the front door and a Stryker (or 2) at the back

And of course, you gotta remember Hefner's place is for sale.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willc453 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 05:12 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 23,131 Times in 8,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
MAKE SURE that in your state such organizations can legally accept such a ticket's proceeds, i remember a story - can't remember but thinking from Georgia or Texas, where they tried to have their corporation or non-profit or whatever claim it, and since that was not legal in their state they actually *tore the ticket up* and got NOTHING
Who tore up the ticket? The winner or the lottery?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc453 View Post
You're thinking small.....remember, you're a billionaire and gotta show some style. Like a matching set of M-1 Abrahms at the gate, 2 Bradleys near the front door and a Stryker (or 2) at the back
I'd get a rail gun -- but where ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc453 View Post
And of course, you gotta remember Hefner's place is for sale.
Ick
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,493 Times in 11,524 Posts

some of the places i pick up broken down bikes at, you make sure your at condition 1 on the hawgleg and make sure your mind is at DEFCON 4 before you get out of the truck. and thats with less than 50 on you........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post: