Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Law MrPunem General Discussion 15 02-15-2013 09:54 PM
What martial art? mKosel Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 68 02-14-2013 09:01 PM
What is Martial Law? Margauruitte General Discussion 12 09-14-2012 10:31 AM
Martial law MR.B Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 10-09-2011 08:55 AM
Econmic Martial Law/SHTF Plan HeatherGummer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-04-2011 12:54 PM
G-men & Martial Law Scout413 Urban Survival 7 08-02-2011 10:20 PM
Martial Law? PurseStrings Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 07-09-2011 09:35 PM
Martial law is impossible if shtf. albeit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 12-30-2010 06:51 AM
Martial Law mcgyver1467 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 04-04-2009 10:49 PM
Martial law: what for? DownInABunker General Discussion 31 02-22-2009 03:04 AM

Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM

Advertise Here

I think the best shtf martial art is the style that suits you best. I think its a personal thing... I think some people are better suited to a certain style than others.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis View Post
I think the best shtf martial art is the style that suits you best. I think its a personal thing... I think some people are better suited to a certain style than others.
In what sort of way?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
Any SHTF martial art presumes a lack of law enforcement or otherwise it would just regular martial art where you could defend yourself and still go to jail.

Any SHTF (and any real martial art) needs to be heavy on the weapons side as that is what will be used against you: pocket knife, kitchen knife, baseball bats, guns, and maybe even machetes.

Also avoid any art that claims self-defence but they still wear their PJs to class. The real world is not smooth hardwood floors and bare feet.

Avoid any style that has 3-5 steps to a technique before you see a strike when 1 step would do.
Agreed on most points, except the garment. Nothing wrong with wearing a dogi for most of the training (a lot of our knife work is done in regular clothes, and when we hold a dedicated knife seminar we tell people to wear street clothes, but preferably ones they don't mind getting ripped up in practice. My jujutsu training uses the traditional dogi (specifically the heavy judo-style ones) and though we train to not be dependent on clothing for hand holds, the simple fact is, when things start getting dynamic, if there is a collar to grab or such, it will be grabbed. I've seen a fair amount of street clothes ruined when a student "forgot their dogi" or some such.

Honestly, I've been in a lot of hair-teeth-and-eyeball fights in street clothes, police uniform, etc. What I was wearing never made any difference. I suppose it would if I wanted to do jump-spin-heel kicks or something but for real-world, nitty-gritty, down-and-dirty save-your-bacon fighting, it doesn't matter if you train mostly in a dogi (exception being when you are training against specific concealment issues and such). A lot of others in our system have been in a lot of fights due to their profession and they have not one instant of trouble going from training in a dogi to fighting in blue jeans and t-shirts.

Your theory sounds good, is even arguably intuitive, and is preached from many pundits. However, real-world experience shows it just isn't the case.

Bingo on the other points, though!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CeltKnight For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 AM

OK street vs sport again.

It is harder to beat someone up if you are constrained by rules don't have access to weapons and are fighting on mats without shoes.

So the people who can beat people up in that environment are generally better at it than those who are cheating during training.

Warning swearing. Cos its the streets.

This is why street systems get mauled in the ring and ring systems do well on the street.

Train hard.

Fight easy.

Wear Pajamas if you want.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,648 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
OK street vs sport again.

It is harder to beat someone up if you are constrained by rules don't have access to weapons and are fighting on mats without shoes.

So the people who can beat people up in that environment are generally better at it than those who are cheating during training.

Warning swearing. Cos its the streets.

Anti-Grappling & DIRTY Ground Fighting! - YouTube

This is why street systems get mauled in the ring and ring systems do well on the street.

Train hard.

Fight easy.

Wear Pajamas if you want.
So now this guy is doing MMA style instruction for street self-defence?
When did he become a grappling expert?
Did he buy another certificate and do a weekend seminar?
Guess he must have.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,508 Times in 10,290 Posts

The street vs sport argument is unwinnable. Violence can't be categorized. I think there's a corollary between the effective application of violence and intelligence. Punji stakes smeared with feces sure did well against a modern military and better nutrition.

In the end, the whole argument is limited by how we utilize violence, and how current systems inhibit our use of it. There's no right answer in the technical or theoretical realm. There's only the intelligent application of violence.

Korean boy breaks the nose of an alleged bully in Canada, then says that the boy was racist and that his 'honoaburu fatha-san only taught him to hit with his weak hand'. All bull****, of course, but the end result is that the Korean boy was made a hero in the media, and busted some other kid's nose, who is now demonized, punished and receiving threats and country-wide condemnation. Disgusting from top to bottom, immoral and unethical from the news especially, but an example of the correct application of violence.

Two drunk dummies in a Canadian university town toss some words at each other, one sucker punches the other who falls to the curb, smashes his head and dies. Conviction for the puncher. Stupid application of violence.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhama View Post
So now this guy is doing MMA style instruction for street self-defence?
When did he become a grappling expert?
Did he buy another certificate and do a weekend seminar?
Guess he must have.
Pretty much. And even though his grappling is technically retarded. Street so it is OK.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecrawler View Post
The street vs sport argument is unwinnable. Violence can't be categorized. I think there's a corollary between the effective application of violence and intelligence. Punji stakes smeared with feces sure did well against a modern military and better nutrition.

In the end, the whole argument is limited by how we utilize violence, and how current systems inhibit our use of it. There's no right answer in the technical or theoretical realm. There's only the intelligent application of violence.

Korean boy breaks the nose of an alleged bully in Canada, then says that the boy was racist and that his 'honoaburu fatha-san only taught him to hit with his weak hand'. All bull****, of course, but the end result is that the Korean boy was made a hero in the media, and busted some other kid's nose, who is now demonized, punished and receiving threats and country-wide condemnation. Disgusting from top to bottom, immoral and unethical from the news especially, but an example of the correct application of violence.

Two drunk dummies in a Canadian university town toss some words at each other, one sucker punches the other who falls to the curb, smashes his head and dies. Conviction for the puncher. Stupid application of violence.
Yeah but they generally are not going to teach you that in your local school. It is more something you have to work out for yourself.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanked 1,720 Times in 826 Posts

the BEST SHTF martial art in my opinion is a pair of long legs and the ability to run or at least walk very fast away from any potential trouble
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Proud to be Welsh.

You can be a black belt et al but unless you have the ability and willingness to hurt an opponent you will fail and this willingness to hurt is what helps make a 'good' streetfighter a nasty piece of work.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM

the ability to see trouble ahead and to take avoiding action is a better skill imho, fighting should be the final and last resort and only undertaken when there is no other option.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Proud to be Welsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
the ability to see trouble ahead and to take avoiding action is a better skill imho, fighting should be the final and last resort and only undertaken when there is no other option.
Scheiße Paul for once I agree with you, but you still need the determination to hurt your opponent or all your training is pointless, once your bottle goes your well and truly shafted.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
...This is why street systems get mauled in the ring and ring systems do well on the street. ...
Respects to you, but to call that an overly broad and misleading statement would be doing it a kindness.

Yet many folks who train in our self-defense system who for some reason decide to go play with the MMA (i.e. "ring system") guys manage to clean up their matches quite well. They also nearly always do quite well at any judo tournaments they feel compelled to enter, even when competing well above their "class". Whereas I know some "ring-system" devotees that got their butts handed to them in real street fights, often by untrained opponents.

Maybe you've got vastly more experience than I hand hang out with an entirely different crowd, but there's what I've seen.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,811 Times in 2,415 Posts

Colt-kwan-do
Browning-Fu
357-sambo

For SHTF of course.

Just for self defence and sport, any martial art will do.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltKnight View Post
Respects to you, but to call that an overly broad and misleading statement would be doing it a kindness.

Yet many folks who train in our self-defense system who for some reason decide to go play with the MMA (i.e. "ring system") guys manage to clean up their matches quite well. They also nearly always do quite well at any judo tournaments they feel compelled to enter, even when competing well above their "class". Whereas I know some "ring-system" devotees that got their butts handed to them in real street fights, often by untrained opponents.

Maybe you've got vastly more experience than I hand hang out with an entirely different crowd, but there's what I've seen.
And yet there are no examples of that. By the way Australian mma at a beginner level is generally better than american. Because we have less shows and are therefore less inclined to let anybody fight.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helion View Post
Colt-kwan-do
Browning-Fu
357-sambo

For SHTF of course.

Just for self defence and sport, any martial art will do.
And yet soldiers do unarmed defence in war zones. And they have rifles and friends.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
You can be a black belt et al but unless you have the ability and willingness to hurt an opponent you will fail and this willingness to hurt is what helps make a 'good' streetfighter a nasty piece of work.
No. The willingness to be hurt.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,508 Times in 10,290 Posts

I think a better way to look at violent application is to put the sport vs dojo arguments on the back burner for awhile and to study the universities of violence; the penal systems of the US, Russia, and a few other countries. Violence there is a daily fact of dominance politics. Concrete-enrounded Darwinism, where one either gets, or gets got.

Regarding philosophies about willingness to hurt, or be hurt, or anything we're discussing for that matter... since I have to deal with these types occasionally, I don't think that violence-prone individuals even think along these lines. Theory and philosophy are beyond them. They're irredeemable cretins for which violence is a method of communication.

LoL. Here is the opening statement on prison rape from Wikipedia:
"Prison rape is rape occurring in prison."
You go, Wikipedia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_phu8BVRc
Old 07-31-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
Scheiße Paul for once I agree with you, but you still need the determination to hurt your opponent or all your training is pointless, once your bottle goes your well and truly shafted.
yes agreed, but by the time you've got to that stage you've probably lost the element of surprise and its just a matter of taking the blows and anyway who says its going to be "mano a mano" and a fair fight? walking blindly into that sort of situation will get you seriously injured or even killed in short order.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Interesting article mate, just want to state for the record that I'm not trying to fanboy on the arts I mentioned.

I love bjj, but is it complete? no. Is there a lot of sport only **** diluting it? Yup, but the fundamentals are sound as a pound and are pressure tested.

Same with Judo, sambo and kyokushin.

Have had the opportunity to train a lot with judo and kyokushin guys who have recognised the gaps in their arts and have added to their arsenals with either extra striking training or jiujitsu to round out their grappling or striking game.

Not really relevant to the direction the thread is heading, but anyway...