Language in this section. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For sale section vs. merchant section WolfSpring Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 10-13-2013 11:26 PM
Language in this section. MikeK Military Weapons Forum 32 08-07-2013 12:34 PM
Add a section for a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE section? nightwolf1974 Site Information & Suggestion Box 42 06-02-2013 09:15 PM
We need a sub-section... Per Ardua Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 09-25-2012 02:04 PM
Private Sales section and Corporate Sales Section Wigglesdabum Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 06-14-2012 02:40 PM
Art section Jim Boonie Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 03-28-2012 02:30 AM
Should the religious section be a VIP only section? jfountain2 Religious Discussion 62 01-19-2012 10:32 AM
New File Added: Patriot Act - section by section analysis TcCoVeN Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 04-09-2009 02:18 AM

Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Wide-Eyed and Stern

Advertise Here

What about SOME bad words? I just made a post that had jesus christ and god dammit in it, but the filter didn't catch it

I definitely know about bypassing, I don't do it! Bad juju. I guess some words aren't bad enough!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dethmaul For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,761 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaul View Post
What about SOME bad words? I just made a post that had jesus christ and god dammit in it, but the filter didn't catch it

I definitely know about bypassing, I don't do it! Bad juju. I guess some words aren't bad enough!
I guess in a case like that it would come down to context. The site doesn't filter ass either. It depends on how it's being used.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 AM
I love this forum

I just trolled upon this sticky. One thing really stands out to me, why the **** is this site meant to be family friendly? If I caught my kid on here, language would be the least of my concerns..
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,091 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.webster View Post
I just trolled upon this sticky. One thing really stands out to me, why the **** is this site meant to be family friendly? If I caught my kid on here, language would be the least of my concerns..
Children aren't the only language concern. There are many people who don't wish to have what they read sidetracked by language issues.

Members have to be 13 to join the forum. It is never a bad idea for the youth and upcoming young adults to learn to be more self-reliant and aware of ways to increase their survivability. Different parenting styles, however, might make it that you are uncomfortable with your children learning these lifelong skills. That is certainly your right as a parent.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,710 Times in 1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.webster
I hope ya wouldnt care...... This is a good site to be on!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

A bump for the new posts folks.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,616 Times in 6,015 Posts

Mike, when i received my infraction about insects,I really was not trying to by pass the language filter. Just trying to be PC even though I feel it leads to progressive communism. Sorry about that will keep it clean from now on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

We're still having issues with language in this section, so I'm bumping the thread again for the new posts people. Please read the OP and do not bypass the language filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 73,726 Times in 19,822 Posts

Please consider letting us control or deactivate our(incoming) language filters. Not only do some of us not care what language other people use, but some of us are actively annoyed and offended by third-party censorship. There may be kids on this site, but there are also plenty of grown adults that can decide for ourselves what we do or don't find offensive without a nanny sanitizing our text for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Human Unit View Post
Please consider letting us control or deactivate our(incoming) language filters. Not only do some of us not care what language other people use, but some of us are actively annoyed and offended by third-party censorship. There may be kids on this site, but there are also plenty of grown adults that can decide for ourselves what we do or don't find offensive without a nanny sanitizing our text for us.
The forum owner wants the forum to keep family friendly. His home, his choice, to be quite blunt about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
The forum owner wants the forum to keep family friendly. His home, his choice, to be quite blunt about it.
Which is fine. That's why it should default to the filter being on. But not only does MY family not care, we actually find other people making these decisions for us to be fairly offensive. I'm just asking for the OPTION to turn it off(or to control it).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,779 Times in 5,041 Posts

**** off, Mike. I'll cuss like a sailor if I want! That's what the ****ing filter's for.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Which is fine. That's why it should default to the filter being on. But not only does MY family not care, we actually find other people making these decisions for us to be fairly offensive. I'm just asking for the OPTION to turn it off(or to control it).
Everything that comes across this forum has Kev's forum's name on it so if he wants it to be family friendly language, he didn't make that decision for his computer in his living room, he made that decision for what comes across the forum.

Every filter catch isn't decided by "a person" it is automatic based on the terms Kev chose to include. The only time a person gets involved is when someone bypasses the filter which is against the forum rules or if someone puts together a particularly creative group of innocuous words that form a vulgar saying. Both of those are against the forum rules.

Perhaps you could use the language filter like a cussing version of the drinking song. Every time you see ***** yell out the word of your choice in your living room.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Quote:
Everything that comes across this forum has Kev's forum's name on it so if he wants it to be family friendly language, he didn't make that decision for his computer in his living room, he made that decision for what comes across the forum.

Every filter catch isn't decided by "a person" it is automatic based on the terms Kev chose to include. The only time a person gets involved is when someone bypasses the filter which is against the forum rules or if someone puts together a particularly creative group of innocuous words that form a vulgar saying. Both of those are against the forum rules.

Perhaps you could use the language filter like a cussing version of the drinking song. Every time you see ***** yell out the word of your choice in your living room.
lol. Like Mad Libs for degenerates.

I understand that as a private site, Kev has the power and authority to make these decisions. If I don't like it, I can always leave... and miss out on excellent survival preparedness advice and interesting political discussion. But as a guest on his site, I can ASK him to RECONSIDER allowing us to control what we see and hear.

For some of us, there is a fine line in censorship between giving us control over what we see and hear and CONTROLLING what we see and hear.

It might be hard for some people to understand, but I'm a Carlinist. I don't like euphemisms and language that obscures. For example, the * marks. If I type, "Go **** Yourself". We know what I typed. Even if I typed the asterisks themselves rather than the word(which I did), we still know what I meant to say. Even if I use the word 'fudge' instead. We know what I said. I didn't say 'fudge' I said ****. In my mind, I said ****, when you read it, in your mind you heard **** and any kid older than three knows that fudge is ****. So to me, not using '****' is just an obscuring of the truth. It's not 'family friendly'. It's not 'clean'. It's just a soft, comforting layer of bull**** to make some people feel a little better about themselves whenever they fudge up.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Just some dude on the net

Thanked 8,209 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
I think your missing the point he agrees that it's Kev's forum and he can do what he want's. How ever he would like to have an on off switch for the censor.

Which I agree would be really cool and stop most of the complaints about the whole issue.

How ever and correct me if I'm wrong but when I was working/running forums I don't recall there being a way to do this unless you did all the forum programming your self. Which most can't, or won't do due laziness, or lack of ability. A forum censor is either in place and on, or it's off. Nothing in between.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshTF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRazor View Post
I think your missing the point he agrees that it's Kev's forum and he can do what he want's. How ever he would like to have an on off switch for the censor.

Which I agree would be really cool and stop most of the complaints about the whole issue.

How ever and correct me if I'm wrong but when I was working/running forums I don't recall there being a way to do this unless you did all the forum programming your self. Which most can't, or won't do due laziness, or lack of ability. A forum censor is either in place and on, or it's off. Nothing in between.

I do understand some users want to turn the filter off and or on at their discretion. Some users would like to see a stronger censor than is in place at the current time. There is a long list of what people want on the forum, I've even got a pet wish or two. Mine aren't any more likely to happen than anyone else's wishes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Just some dude on the net

Thanked 8,209 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
I do understand some users want to turn the filter off and or on at their discretion. Some users would like to see a stronger censor than is in place at the current time. There is a long list of what people want on the forum, I've even got a pet wish or two. Mine aren't any more likely to happen than anyone else's wishes.
Oh I couldn't agree more. The reality of working with large groups of people is that they will always want some thing different. That is the reality of human nature we all want some thing different.

What I was attempting to point out and suggest at the same time, would be that in many cases the true "hey we can't cater to every one because of blah blah blah and blah blah blah" works way better then, oh you want some thing well tough **** go **** your self.

I am merely attempting to help based on some personal experience I have related to the issue at hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshTF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
**** off, Mike. I'll cuss like a sailor if I want! That's what the ****ing filter's for.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Now that sir, is the proper use of the filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:

It doesn't work that way. There is no word hiding underneath those ****s. The filter completely replaces the word with **** before it is posted. So there's no way to turn the filter off at the receiving end.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Thank you very much

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,540 Posts

What if you bypass the filter when talking about the store ****s? Or if you are talking about someone who is named ****, or ******?
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaz For This Useful Post: