Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 10:30 PM
Martial Arts Renegade Coach Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 64 08-15-2014 03:43 AM
Martial Arts/Self Defense jlee1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 123 01-26-2014 04:41 PM
Martial Arts Thoughts... anmut Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 130 11-28-2013 09:31 PM
Interested in Martial Arts... SurvivalistDiva1011 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 106 03-01-2013 10:50 PM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 11:17 PM
Filipino martial arts mbkirkpatrick Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 7 08-24-2012 01:55 PM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 08:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 04:06 PM

Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Are Martial Arts a waste of time?

Advertise Here

Okay so there are many threads about what would be the best Martial Art, techniques, moves, training methods. And of course, the overall philosophy of Martial Arts and hand to hand combat. I see a lot of theoretical comments and well... theories, about what MIGHT work, and what MIGHT not work. I on the other hand, offer A LOT personal insight to it. I've been lucky never the less, but let me explain why I feel I am qualified to speak on Martial Arts.

Well I am a Natural Born American, I was born and have lived most of my time in Los Angeles. My parents are of Greek/Spanish/Mexican descent and I've also lived in Mexico for a while. Growing up in the gang infested schools of South Central Los Angeles, There was always plenty of fighting going on, specially in Highschool where many people were 18, 19 years old already. When I was 17 I had temporarely dropped out of school and moved to Mexico, I got a job as a Judicial Officer over there, and I was involved IN A LOT of problems there.

Now I've loved Martial Arts since I was a kid, and I grew to them more and more, and studied them more and more.

So I've studied kickboxing, boxing, muay thai, brazilian Jujitsu, MMA, and some Hand to Hand combatives (MCMAP) when I joined the Marines. From all those, I believe using the right combinations and right things from one another, I was able to create an amazing brutal fighting system, or fighting philosophy. What are my credentials to speak like I am some kind of master?
Well unfortunately I carry around broken bones that hurt to this day, and three horrible Keloid scars on my chest from a stabbing and much experience.

First of all, Martial Arts DO WORK, I believe they are necessary to know and study. Now here is this same old crap I hear from many people, over and over again, due to jealousy or ignorance, but they say stuff like "I will just shoot them" well by that logic, the President can just drop a nuke on your city right? So then whats the point of owning a gun? Now right now I don't have a weapon on me, if I get disarmed I wouldn't have a weapon, and I wouldn't have a weapon in a NO WEAPON zone, and for many other cases, we are left without quick access to our weapons.

One favorite quote of mine is "only a fool trusts his life to a weapon"

So now that we get that out of the way. Martial Arts HAVE their place in life, and definitely for the survivalist.

I was already very viscous (having gone to juvenile hall/prison for minors) /NOTE I AM NOT PROUD OF ANY OF THIS AND HAVE CHANGED INTO A WHOLE OTHER PERSON/ at a young age, and at 17 is when I moved to Mexico. By then I had a lot of Martial Arts experience, training, and street fights. I joined the Police Force and I ended up almost in the Mexican Equivalent of SWAT, we would have to put on black battle dress Uniform and some cheap Desert Tan supposedly Kevlar helmets when we did raids. This one time on an investigation we had to go to a house, it was me and my partner at the time, just go in the house, it was believed to be abandoned and we were just looking for supposedly stolen property that was being stored there.

Some guy jumped at me with a screw driver, he stabbed me three times on my chest, now here is why I didn't die, my quick reactions honed in my MA training where to parry with the blade of my arm, now his strength of the blow manage to bend my arm enough for it to stab me, he did it three times, each blow less and less powerful, thus each scar smaller and smaller now. I would of died with the first plunge if I wouldn't have blocked. That block was a WW2 combatives knife defense (basically Krav Maga) and then I got wrist control and did a takedown, I put a kimura on him, and my partner came and arrested him, I went to the hospital, he went to jail with missing teeth (Hey it was Mexico)

If I only knew boxing I may have been stabbed repeatedly, he came at me from the side, and I was against the wall. If I only knew Judo, I wouldn't have parried, if I only knew the WW2 combatives, I wouldn't have done a takedown and a slapped a Kimura on him. So this instance proved that Martial Arts, may have just saved my life. But it wasn't just knowing how to do this, it was how easy it came to me, and how easy it was for me to throw him and control him, due to my strength conditioning, and easy of the technique through repetition. Keep in mind I had a gun holstered on me the whole time, trying to unholster it would have resulted in more stab wounds, the first one possibly being the lethal one. And I couldn't have it had just holstered in order to walk on the uneven broken floor and rubble.

Future problems with the whole Narc situation forced me to come back to the U.S., while being here, I joined the Marines, have been doing some amateur MMA fights, training to go pro. So naturally I will not deny, that yes I fall towards the Martial Arts bias. Now one time, at the beach at night, one of my friends saw this black hooker and said out loud "I want to f*ck that h*e" what we didn't realize is, there was this other girl next to us, I am sure she knew it wasn't for her, but long story short, she leaves, comes back with her boyfriend and some other guys, one of them had a hammer, and another a broom stick. Long story short, it was 3 vs 3, all of my friends do Martial Arts and are Marines, one of them is a MARSOC Marine (new recon). I cant recall for what they did, but a a simple shin kick from me with my steel toe workboot dropped one of them.

My whole point to this is, if you condition your body, I mean kick and punch the punching bag (with technique of course) harden your bones through repetitive hard striking, get explosive speed through plyometric excercises, learn to have a feel for two bodies fighting (through Judo/Grappling) and you learn some good gun/knife disarms. You'll be an extremely competent fighter I assure you.

This doesn't come easy, and to the Survivalist that just wants a quick deadly martial art that doesn't require strength and speed and is just about "KNOW HOWS" that you only practiced for a month or two. Then I suggest you stick with running, or hope to god you always have a weapon, or that it never jams, fails, or breaks. Being proficient with your bare hands and feet takes time, strength, and speed. The Spartans were the best soldiers, because they knew, that not only technique was important, but making your body into a tireless, never gives up, fast and powerful weapon equaled success.

Now there is mixed feelings about, well Mixed Martial Arts. Some people believe it takes too long to beat your opponent, some people see grappling useless against multiple opponents, and some see it has no weapon defense. To get one thing cleared here. (besides gun/knife disarms) Comparing a guy with no weapons, to a guy with weapons is not fair game and thus would be stupid comparing. It would be the equivalent of comparing a guy with 9mm handgun and a guy with an Ak47 at a 200 yard distance. Sure it's possible for the guy with the 9mm to win, if he uses cover, moves correctly, and has superior combat accuracy, but the chances are still slimmed down TOO much for the guy with the semi-auto 9mm. Same goes for comparing a guy with just his hands, to a guy with a gun or knife.

So now, that maybe you've accepted the chances that there's many times that you may have to defend yourself using your hands, you might be looking at Martial Arts in a difference sense. Not only that, but the feeling of being secure to a certain extent if something where to happen to your weapons is a feeling second to none (at least for me). From Jams, to no carry zones, to being disarmed or imprisoned, a survivalist must know, how to defend himself.

So now for the extreme basics. To be a complete hand to hand fighting Machine. You must do the following and customize it as you see fit to your personal liking (I still suggest you do not stray far).

Learn through Muay Thai or Kickboxing or Kyoukushin Karate school, how to use your hands and feet, knees and elbows in a fight.

Learn BJJ or Judo for the grappling aspect of combat (Probably this is the most important)

And have an open mind to be a dirty fighter. I mean, if it's a life and death situation in a survivalist situation, and you and some guy tumble down and you end up on top of him (or mount) then bite his throat off, stick your fingers in his eyes, and stand up and stomp his head in. The problem with Krav Maga, is it TEACHES all this, but doesn't necessarily rehearse it. What I love about MMA, is that even though they teach you NOT to do this in competition, it is something that doesn't require teaching, just a violent disregard for your opponent. I mean, the strength, speed, and conditioning of an MMA fighter is second to none. I even got out of shape being in the Marines because I was used to rougher training.

Last but not least, I can't say this enough, strength and conditioning. There is no magic to Martial Arts, just Strength, Conditioning, and Knowledge. This is my first post in this website. I hope I didn't make it to long, and I just wish I don't come across as if I am trying to talk about my life, I talked a bit about it to show you guys proof and the story behind the proof as to why Martial Arts are important, and what to study and do (at least in my opinion) Looking forward to what this site has to offer.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Trapper

Seriously, that is your first post? Wow. I get the feeling you are a ton of fun to drink with. Good points. Welcome to the forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,550 Times in 854 Posts

Yes, I believe in martial arts. I also believe that a person that relies on their weapon has a limited lifespan on the battle field. If that person is "the weapon" ie.. martial arts, I believe they will have a even shorter lifespan in the combat theater. Ninjas die very fast in todays battle scenarios.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Still here. For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM

My first responses Of course man, I understand what you're saying Still Here, but my point is, what if you're left with NO OTHER OPTION. Do you know how much hand to hand combat training is put into a Delta or CIA paramilitary Officer? I am sure it's for a good reason. I would rather shoot someone any day from 500yards away, than run to them with my fists lol. I didn't know my post was that long and that might be a problem since people might not want to read all of it or just skim through it.

But you had said

"I also believe that a person that relies on their weapon has a limited lifespan on the battle field. If that person is "the weapon" ie.. martial arts, I believe they will have a even shorter lifespan in the combat theater."

So if you were left with no weapon, would you rather stand there and wait for death to come? Or would you be happy knowing your body is a weapon and you could wait for an opportunity to acquire one in a violent way? You could use your martial arts to help build you back up from scratch. And I am not talking about a battlefield where millions of bullets are flying your way, and millions of bullets are flying the enemies way. This is a survivalists forum right? Naturally you'd be as far away as possible from those situations, and you'd likely find yourself MAYBE having to protect yourself from smaller groups of foes in Urban, Jungle, or Forrest terrain.

One can also not deny the fact that the number one thing that A Survivalist might need is stealth (arguably so) So being able to take care of sentries, and being fit enough to climb and run and crawl for long periods of times is necessary. Maybe things would be different, but as a Under Cover Judicial Officer in Mexico, we did a lot of "raids" where we were actually outnumbered and where done by Jungle like areas. I am sure if I ran out of ammo or lost my weapon, I'd appreciate the fact, I could take one if given the chance.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADCCK1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Trapper

Ok, now you're setting off my mall cop radar. You are 19 years old and already have SWAT experience? Sounds like tall tales.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,002 Posts

Martial arts is great helps build a good morale foundation/discipline . For the rest of us it's one mind one weapon, anything is a weapon of opportunity even that rock on the ground,believe me I WILL have something in my hand to beat you with. but most importantly awareness is your number one asset.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Thanked 18,856 Times in 6,430 Posts

No. Ofcourse not. Any activity that trains Muscles and Muscle Memory is not Trite or Moot. Martial Arts Disciplines can be carried over into other activities too.
ETA: Did'nt even bother to read the long winded OP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Yes I am truthful with my age, I am 19 about to be 20 in some days. I was an "Policia Judicial" in Jalisco Guadalajara Mexico. Yes, over there they get kids because no one else wants to do those dangerous jobs. When I was a f*ck up here, I moved to Mexico and joined La Judicial. My father is from Mexico, and he was a judicial, even quicker to have joined it, and if you watch the news, You would see why I left that job, and came back to the states. And yes, like I stated in my first post I was born here. I have no lies to tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADCCK1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,588 Times in 8,161 Posts

Some serious B.S. that doesn't make much sense in that first post and I am not about to read the second.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 PM

So much for a friendly community. If somehow my thread has offended people, I will gladly take it off. All I tried to do was show proof of how martial arts are effective. I had been seeing many people talking bad about Martial Arts in these threads, saying they wouldn't work and you can just shoot a person and they are a waste of time. And I'd figure, why not give proof with whats happened to my life, to show people, that they are not a waste of time. I didn't figure this place to be one of those Boards where the people with the most posts are Rambos and can talk down to everyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADCCK1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,191 Times in 476 Posts

You raise up like Bruce Lee or Van Damme in front of me. My IPSC splits are in the .7 second range from holster to first shot, and .25-.30 second for the next seven or eight shots. All of them in the 4"w X6"l center mass area of a standard target at 15 yds. That is a 15 shot Para-Ordnance in 45 acp.

What is your next question?

Yes, if I have my pants on, I am carrying it. I have a license (not a permit) to carry it.

ISS

Excuse me, but I read in the papers that drug cartel members tend to run in packs, and carry automatic weapons.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Trapper

Errr...so yeah, I agree with the central point here. Martial arts are useful, along side firearms, they will help.

Lately I've been heavily into the philosophy of it, and in particular "mental martial arts".
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM

I was afraid of that too. I am that good in Martial Arts, and it will save me in certain situations, with certain people. That was my only point. I don't claim to be a Bruce Lee or anything like that, and if some people found my post helpful, which some thanked me for, then I am glad I could give them a little insight on how they could still be used in todays modern settings.

I seriously suggest people read my first post carefully so they can understand my point, of the "what if" factor. I will just have to repeat this part "you were taken prisoner, unarmed, gun jammed, gun failed, gun lost, gun broke, gun wore out, were in a no gun zone" Or like happened previously to me, was attacked from the side in a way I would have no time to draw without being stabbed fatally. Would it please the people to show pictures of my scars, my time spent in La Judicial, and maybe a video on my training?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Target Shooter

MARTIAL arts aka military arts, since when is shooting a handgun not a martial/military art? People need to understant the words they use. Martial arts are not PJs and spirituality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Don't tread on me.

Location: I work hard not to be found, and now Im just listing it to everyone?
Thanked 1,486 Times in 557 Posts

Um. The OP is epic. But not unlike swiss cheese.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobanderson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post
You raise up like Bruce Lee or Van Damme in front of me. My IPSC splits are in the .7 second range from holster to first shot, and .25-.30 second for the next seven or eight shots. All of them in the 4"w X6"l center mass area of a standard target at 15 yds. That is a 15 shot Para-Ordnance in 45 acp.

Yes, if I have my pants on, I am carrying it. I have a license (not a permit) to carry it.

ISS

Excuse me, but I read in the papers that drug cartel members tend to run in packs, and carry automatic weapons.
Targets don't shoot back
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Anyone who has ever seen a Teuller drill performed would think twice about depending exclusively on a holstered handgun for defense against close range attack. I believe that everyone should have well rounded personal defensive capabilities. Personally, I've let my hand to hand skills slide. I haven't practiced in over 12 years. I'm actually just now getting serious about honing my shooting skills again now that I have a CWL. I'm definitely not an example to follow, but thats my 1/50th of a dollar.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Christian

Thanked 50,614 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

To the OP:

Are martial arts a waste of time?

Probably not to someone your age. MA is a confidence builder and a good way to understand that the best fighting technique is the one that allows you to get away without a fight.

There is always someone out there who is faster, stronger, better or just plain luckier than you are.

I learned this from the best martial artists in the world, the ones that are still alive.

Now at my age (I am twice your age and then some) it’s a waste of time. My time is spent at the range.

And to be honest I have learned to stay away from most situations that would put me or my family at risk.

However if I am ever confronted by a Bruce Lee wanna-be bad guy I know that my black belt in Cha Ching POW just might give me the edge to walk away.

good luck on the boards.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I've studied martial arts throughout my lifetime and not as young as you. I do think it is useful but not like one would see in the movies.

Having studied Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu....I've glued them all together by studying/reading/practicing Jeet Kune Do. Bruce Lee's philosophy (forget the hand to hand stuff) is very eye opening. You can extend that to everything from a gun fight to packing your bug-out bag.

While I don't think martial arts is useful for someone to drop their weapons run up to someone and karate chop them in the head....

I do think it is useful for exercise and development of the physical and mental readiness of any one for any situation.

Oh..and I apologize for not reading all of your resume. I do like the topic however.
The Following User Says Thank You to adrenaline For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post

ISS

what does your grouping look like at two feet from a target swinging a couple of bludgeons? are you saying that you'd open up on anybody that got close enough to render your weapon unusable? What do you do when you run out of ammo?

how have we gained such a mentality? the majority of us still have to disarm at the air port and learning to crush soft targets doesn't seem like such a bad idea...

i appreciate the strong and valid points sir. train hard.

WHATIF...
The Following User Says Thank You to WHATIF... For This Useful Post: