Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Marine Corps Mountain Survival Course/Survival Training School of California stsc1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 02-06-2018 08:37 PM
Survival Food Taste Test & Review: The Survival Tabs - Chocolate & Strawberry The Shadow Food and water 4 03-27-2015 01:14 PM
SAS Survival Handbook Revised Edition or SAS Survival Guide 2e (Collins Gem) ? joey80 Looking for - want to buy 2 12-21-2013 04:20 PM
Survival Quest Camping Help - Multiple Month Survival in National Forest (CA) protogalaxy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 02-20-2013 11:53 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $29.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 07-06-2012 11:31 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $29.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 06-30-2012 12:31 AM
Tired of lame survival knives...created own survival hatchet cstockwell Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 06-05-2012 12:04 PM
Survival Seed Vault - Heirloom Emergency Survival Seeds - $37.95 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 04-05-2012 07:48 PM
This is going to be a “Short Report” on the Survival Pack from ASAP Survival Gear Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 10-26-2010 07:59 PM
SAS Survival Secrets: Interrogation and Torture Survival/Escape and Evade Todesking Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-09-2010 12:39 PM

View Poll Results: Your opinions on air guns for survival?
Yes, they are useful 388 81.51%
No, they are a waste 47 9.87%
Undecided 41 8.61%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,245 Times in 5,751 Posts

Advertise Here

Pirimid air, umerex,
For that mater just punch up "air guns" and you'l discover a whole new world .
Just for the record
Lewis and Clark came across the country wih an air gun.
.50 cal air gun will take out a buffalo.
Read the reviews on the gun your looking at on line but remember some outfits won't publish some negitive reviews.
I have 2 walther ppks and they both are not worth a dime and they run about $80.
Crosman makes a very competitive gun , so more money does not always prove to be a better investment. I have a Beeman R1, paid $300 for it , not all that great .I have Dasys more accurate.
Spring piston guns tend to be violant shakers, and springs and seals go away.
Best over all Benjerman ( spelling ?) Older gun of my collection, least problems.
In pistols I have a bunch but the biggest supprize was the C11 . it's co2 and plastic but more accurate than much more expensive guns .I had gotten it for a lady friend the wanted to learn to shoot , and for around $30. I figured if she changed her mind it wouldn't be that much invested . In my book accuricy is everything , no matter how much power you have , if you can't pinpoint the shot the gun is junk.
Pump guns (except for the big precharge guns ) do not give you the advantage co2 does for repeatability magazines rotery clips and such , but getting Co2 is not a very good servival option.
Precharge guns are more expensive right now but their popularity is rising as well as more manufacturing is headed that way. (if the econemy holds out)
By the way I am impressed with the guy that made His own air gun ," good job"
You want guys like that on your team.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

In a survival situation, I would LOVE an air rifle. They are light (I have a GAMO whisper, .177 caliber, its small but powerful). i can carry a small tin of pellets in my pocket of 500 and not even notice it, there so light. They can easily kill groundhogs, birds, squirrels, rabbits, and i have even seen videos of people with larger calibers killing hogs! Also, i never seen or have done this but i bet it would work to shoot fish in shallow water.
The Following User Says Thank You to danthemanb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Master of Disaster

Glad I found this thread. Air guns aren't often mentioned in survival discussions and some of the folks that I talked to thought it was a crazy Idea. I don't advocate air guns to replace regular firearms but for the reasons mention throughout this thread, they are a great and relatively cheap addition. There are a lot more squirrels and rabbits running around than there are deer so they could be your primary supper getter. They are also as previously mentioned, a cheap and inobtrusive way to hone and keep shooting skills. Most importantly, with ammo getting more and more expensive as well as difficult to lay hands on sometimes, why waste a powder round on a rabbit when you may not be able to replace it at ANY price when things go south. Pellets are cheap. You can get a lifetime supply for less than you would spend on a day of shooting cartridges.
The Following User Says Thank You to creekfreek For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 03:21 PM

My Step Sister has a real old "Sea Lion Pellet Pistol" she wants to sell me, and I am considering on buying it. It's a "Break Barrel" spring piston operated pellet gun and I have shot it and must say it sure has the power! Not as much as my "Beeman Wolverine" pellet rifle that shoots 1000 - 1200 fps (1200 with alloy pellets). She said for me to make an offer so does anyone have any idea what one is worth? It's in rather good shape to be so old.
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the information provided in this thread, that helped me decide to buy a PCP rifle. Initially wanted to buy a firearm, however, paperwork and legal obstacles that lay in my country makes it very difficult: The number of bullets that you can buy a year is limited and must report each purchase before making, in addition to psychological examinations and medical and police records checks, a real nightmare. Not to mention obtain a permit to carry weapons, it is virtually impossible to achieve.

I have seen several videos on YouTube and comments about airguns. I am almost decided by the Benjamin Marauder pistol or the Benjamin Armada rifle. They cost as much or more than their "equivalent" in .22, but it is easy to buy and fortunately there is still no legal regulations for such weapons.

Of course I would use it as a fun first and then as a weapon for small game, although well placed shot can slow an attacker and give me time to run or attack him with something more powerful. But I hope never have to face that possibility.

Greetings to all and excuse me for the little off-topic.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,133 Times in 982 Posts

This is a very old thread, but figured I’d bring it back up.

Just bought a Benjamin trail np2 .22 package yesterday from a local seller, $150. Quite pleased!

Nice scope, multiple pellet types (~1500+), backstop, rubber filled target box, hundred pack of NRA airgun 10 yard targets.

Will make for an excellent tool!

I primarily see this as useful to teach folk not familiar with firearms the safety fundamentals, then to help teach & maintain fundamentals for shooting rifle from various positions. Offhand standing, kneeling, etc etc.

All from the comforts of home!

Then there are the obvious small game benefits, quietly, should it ever come to that as a necessity.

We’re not interested in applying for a tax stamp for suppressors, so should there be some type of non RWOL hiccup resulting in supply chain “issues”, not the type of situation to “bug out”, we could harvest local small game safely/quietly if needs be.

Just figured I’d pop this thread back up, for folk whom may be thinking on, or hadn’t considered a pellet gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM

High powered air rifles can take out small game such as small birds and squirrels. Their usefulness for harvesting protein is documented, and in some areas they are not regulated like a firearm...
Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,795 Times in 964 Posts

Daisy used to make a model 777 target pistol that was accurate as all get out. Here's the secret, save your nickels and dimes and get the model 717. Basically the exact same innards, just not as pretty. Plenty accurate though.

I have one in one of my gun cases for my BOV. Buy the best quality pellet ammo, it really makes a difference. The target variety ammo for pellet pistols and rifles come in a plastic case of I think 100 rounds, all separated do you don't damage the cone on the round. Each round has a spot in the case and a plastic piece with holes cut in it, keeps them from bouncing around and hitting the other pellets. For practice, use a decent quality but, when getting meat in your stew pot, spend the money for very accurate target ammo.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43 PM
CaptAmerica

Default BOB Pellet guns

For Pellet pistols to be useful in a bug out bag, my thinking is that they must be as realistic as possible.
for this reason I carry a Dan Wesson 2.5 Pellet Pistol, available from several sources for $125 or so.
I also have the Walther semi auto pellet shooter, and the S&W M&P 45.
Friends have the Sig P226 and P230
The other one is the Tanfloglio 1911. That is a monster but is Very Realistic.
Since according to FBI stats, in excess of 80% of the time a CCP holder merely showed the handle to disarm the situation.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Almost two years after my previous message I can say that the PCP weapons exceeded my expectations. In addition to the Benjamin Armada rifle .22 I bought an Evanix Rex .357 pistol and it is very powerful, I could even kill a pig or boar with it (at the moment I've only hunted a couple of rabbits with the Benjamin). I'm looking to buy another weapon, probably a .357 rifle with a magazine for several shots or maybe something like the FX Impact .30 that is easy to disassemble and store in a backpack. The Evanix Rex gun is already in my BOB just in case. Both weapons are treated with great care and are conveniently kept from prying eyes.

The bad thing is that there is already a bill going around in Congress so that compressed air weapons have the same restrictions as firearms. I think I'm going to have to hurry to buy the next one.

On the radio, they reported that in a fight between criminals one wounded another with an .22 air rifle in the chest and died in the ambulance before arriving at the hospital. Fortunately, not much was said about that.