Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Womens view on gun ban 31ST MEUSOC Ladies Section 102 04-30-2013 05:43 PM
Womens BoB PI Ladies Section 25 01-02-2013 10:20 AM
Womens OutdoorWeekend Mountain One General Discussion 1 07-22-2012 02:11 AM
USA Womens' Soccer Gallo Pazzesco General Discussion 16 07-12-2011 01:10 AM
Womens literature biathlon Ladies Section 3 05-11-2011 10:11 AM
guy with a question for the womens out there robbiec Ladies Section 36 09-06-2010 04:57 PM
It is a womens world shepherdtrainer Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-17-2010 11:44 PM
Womens health issues! kingjames Jokes, Humor & Music 0 07-22-2009 09:04 PM
Womens rucksacks? Yorkshire Boy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 10-11-2007 03:23 PM

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,867 Times in 3,160 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Womens self defense.

Advertise Here

This is a thread for women.

The title is "womens self defense".

Any techniques discussed must be based on what's good for women but I'm sure they can be equally valuable for both sexes as well .

The point of this thread is that most, but not all, women are at a physical disadvantage when it comes to fighting.

Some men are at a physical disadvantage when it comes to fighting.
I include myself in this group. At 5'9'' and around 73kg or just over/or around 12 stone, I'm no bruiser myself.

We'll be discussing practical techniques for people who are lacking in physical strength, body weight and natural aggression. Talking stereotypically most women are lacking in these departments compared to men.

So this thread is going to be aimed at women.

Our beloved wives, girlfriends, mothers, sisters, and female friends. The techniques will also cross over for any man who finds himself in a desperate situation.

I/we (us men) would greatly appreciate any advice and experience you ladies could bring to this thread.

There are many parts to self defense.

Awareness of your surroundings has got to be one of the first when dealing with self defense.

See the danger coming...

To start things off I'll retell a story.
My sister, Sophia, was on a train. A drunk man sat opposite her and engaged her in conversation. Being the nice friendly lady she is she talked to him. As time went by he started to chat her up. She was nice, told him she wasn't interested and carried on talking to her. Over a period of time he became aggressive to her and started to try and touch her.

At this point an aggressive individual would've taken action. Instead, shocked by his actions, she calmly asked other passengers to help her. No one did anything. (This is where we step in isn't it lads?) As things turned out she was OK, but she went through a horrible experience of feeling vulnerable.

My sister is a tough cookie. She's a nurse who's worked in mental health wards. She's seen it and done it but she's too nice.

So.

I want ways, both physical and verbal to help the women in my life to see the dangers and take some action.

As an example, taking some action.
Give my wife a large umbrella,stick or any other long striking implement, including machete ouch(and an assailant who's ten feet away), and I know she can strike someone in a matter of seconds on the top of the skull, in the eyes, throat and middle of the body. She'd drop him. Because that's what she learned as a girl when she did Kendo.

But an assailant who's already on top of her and got her pinned?

Perhaps us blokes should start training the women in our lives in this position.

Pin them down and let them fight from there. Let them turn into brutal wild things. Make them develop explosive power. We'll get hurt trying to do it (us men), let them fight us to there up most. We might have to tap, because things are going over board and we don't want to hurt them. But this is surely a good exercise?

Any advice is most welcome. Feel free to post any videos.

YB
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,593 Times in 658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 

The biggest weakness i have seen from most females is there mind set. Most often there mindset defeats them before the attacker strikes.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 29,328 Times in 8,563 Posts

I agree AR, I'm always letting my mind get the best of me, I cannot seem to act on impulse with anything, especially in a situation like York is talking about. I have never really had to defend myself but I was raised in an abusive household. I fear people in general so much I avoid them and walk with my head down and I won't talk to anyone I do not know. I would love to stand up to people and defend myself if need be but I know I won't, after awhile of others treating u badly whether its physical or not you shut down and avoid them, I did.

Last edited by Tabi; 04-03-2008 at 09:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabi For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 AM

I had a problem like that once York. I had a guy trying to touch me at the store one time. He kept trying to grab my chest and stuff, so I punched him in the face. It worked at first, but his buddies started egging him on so he came back and tried to mess with me more, like he wanted to hit me, so i found an employee and asked him to call the cops. They left after that. Ever since then I carry a bear claw knife with me most of time. Of course if they are just touching me I'll still punch them in the face, but its when they come back and try to hit me that worries me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,786 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 

The victim mentality,Some folks walk with there head down and no confidence this is the first thing a predator looks for,The person with im a victim writen across the head in big letters,A confident person is always going to be less of a target.One factor in surviving an attack is to always fight back,If you check out criminology the women that fight back have more chance of surviving than those who don't.Don't let yourself be a victim always try to be confident and if you do get attacked scream, shout,Scratch eyes,kick,Punch,bite and grab them by the gonads squeeze twist and yank as hard as you can,Anything goes there are no rules.

Last edited by AncientBrit; 04-04-2008 at 03:16 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AncientBrit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM

I would advise you to have a look into brazilian jui jitsu classes because a man is probably going to rape the woman he is going to be between her legs and there are many attacks the this position.

1) Armbar this would result in the elbow joint being hyperexended and also be good if he is strangling her when as it makes the arms an easier target.

2) Triangle choke this move will render the rapist unconcious in 3-5 seconds and dead if held for long enough

The good thing about brazilian jui jitsu is that it is designed for being used against bigger and stronger opponents and women also have the advantage of being more flexible (which helps alot) than men also why not invest in a rape alarm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu

Last edited by gunner_1990; 04-04-2008 at 12:49 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunner_1990 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
comfortably numb

I'd second BJJ training for women. As primarily a ground-based martial art, it's a natural choice. Because of the popularity of MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is becoming much more common to find now. If BJJ isn't available, I'd suggest Judo. Grappling is where it counts for women's self-defense, not punching & kicking alone. Learning only a striking art (Karate, TKD, etc.) puts you at a distinct disadvantage if the guy is able to get a hold of you. If she fails to repel him with strikes, then she's SOL if the guy gets a hold.

I study a very martially-oriented style of Aikido and I find it to be quite effective. However, sadly I wouldn't suggest Aikido simply because there's an emerging trend within some styles of Aikido that are moving it away from its jujutsu roots and becoming choreography. This, of course, isn't true in every case...but it's there's enough aiki-dance schools out there that are giving Aikido a bad rep.
The Following User Says Thank You to dewey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,541 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Women are just as capable to defend themselves as men are. I've met a few!

I'd also suggest Krav Maga for women. (For anyone new to martial arts.) It's easy to learn, no special tricks that takes years of mastering.

Like Sticks65 said, a lot of people, women AND men walk around with their heads down, trying NOT to draw attention to themselves. But like he said, this is a first thing a predator looks for.

Keep your head up, avoid eye contact with people that might be scary, but don't act afraid. Remember, you have several things with you as a woman. Your purse, a great pre-emptive strike that makes them finch. Use this time to either run away or strike first. Use your keys, bite, kick them in the nuts. (hehe) Do whatever it takes to take them down, or to get away.

But knowing some sort of self defense routine will more then likely help you out, not only in an attack, but also your self esteem.

SOLIDUS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,593 Times in 658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 

I guess I'm going to play the odd man out. Don't specialize in a wrestling style but be able to wrestle if necessary. Often the weight difference is a female and there male attacker can only be overcome by the most well trained wrestler. Yes it can be done but if a 120 pound female trys to wrestle me unless she is very skilled I will be able to toss her around like a doll. You need much faster much more violent actions, you want to rip out eyeballs, ears, break fingers, crush testicles. I have despite being in the company of my well trained martial artist and have a decent bit of experience my self , never seen an actual street fight go down as most martial arts train. Yes I have seen some masters adapt there skill in some brutal ways, but the fight is never clean, never uniform, and the moves much harder to accomplish. There is a reason Mixed martial arts don't play out like a sparing match, its just much more brutal then that. On the same token though learn as much as you can from various martial arts as the more you know the better off you are.

If I had to give a course to take it would be something like the C.O.R.E system.
Modern Defendo taught by bill Wolfe. I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of seeing Bill Wolfe but he is one tuff dude who simplifies Parts of several martial art to make a fast to learn, extremely violent , extremely effective self defense system. He has a DVD set and teaches as well , but most of his teaching is done with groups of military personnel and civilians, as such he lets you know in a not so nice way when you are not giving 100%.

When my wife asked about self defense this is what I recommended to her and will do so with you, she doesn't have 5 years to become a master at this or that but she dose have some time to learn to defend herself.
http://www.defendo.com/defendo_web_site.htm
http://www.wolfes.ca/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 PM

I ran into this awhile back. I haven't seen the actual materal but these links make it look good.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0piEyfcVAkhttp://dr-ruthless.com/
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM

This lady sounds like my mom when she used to throw me a beaten when I was younger LOL
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Target Shooter

As a Deputy Sheriff I was often asked about what weapon a woman should carry when leaving work , traveling through a dark parking lot or parking garage.

Knowing that most women hesitate to offend a stranger and that muggers and rapeists always use a ruse to put them in close proximinity to their prey, I would make the following recomendation.

Get an insulated , microwavable coffee mug and before you leave the security of your office fill it with boiling hot water. It will look like you have a cup of coffee to drink on the way home from work. carry it with the top loose.

If someone approaches you be ready. If they grab or attempt to grab you, dump it if their face. When they turn you loose and they will turn you loose run and scream.

The cops will pick them up in the ER.

I hope this helps some one to get away !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner_1990 View Post
...also why not invest in a rape alarm.
Because they're stupid, along with rape whistles, because no one pays any attention to them here, or car alarms, etc. Women are routinely taught to scream "FIRE!" if attacked or about to be attacked because people actually care about something being on fire. Sad state of affairs.

Extremely loud whistles like FOX-40 Brand/Type are excellent, must-have survival gear for survival kits and keyrings for every day carry...having a broken leg and lying in a ditch, people will be interested in a person repeatedly whistling for help but in a city or suburban area for defense against rape? Or any type of audible alarm? Forget it, it's a waste of time and actually dangerous to tell women to use them because they are going to be wasting their time doing that instead of doing something meaningful like shooting or cutting and thrusting, stomping knee joins and nuts, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM

I will have to agree,mindset for many (not all) women is to be trusting and nurturing. Also they have been "trained" to seek out protectors,and therefore in a way we have gone lazy and set aside our natural instincts that help us to "tune in to trouble, before it escalates a key factor in self defense is to be aware at all times. Without that allthe ammo in the world isnt going to help much.
The Following User Says Thank You to unrulymaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Barely surviving

I've never been in a real fight but I think Unrulymaiden is right on the money with being able to recognize a threat as being our first priority. There's a book called "the gift of fear" that talks about that. Turning fear into a positive affirmation of our natural intuition for being able to tell when we're in danger. When something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't.

I work in a prison, so I've had some training at the corrections academy. Most of it revolves around "verbal judo", or getting the reaction you want just by talking. Basically de-escalating the situation. But once things do turn physical, they emphasize quickness and violence of action. Hopefully so you don't give the attacker time to react to your action.

In practice, however, this rarely works for me. Now, I'm not a tiny or demure person by most standards, but even with that said, have you ever arm wrestled someone? (I grew up with two older brothers so this was common). Have you ever tried to slam their hand down before they thought the game had started only to find that they didn't move an inch? Like tugging on a brick wall? Then even tried to cheat by using your other hand and tugging with all your might only to have them gently lower your hand to the table without even breaking a sweat? That's the reason why I put my faith in carrying some sort of weapon. Sometimes form just can't overcome brute strength.

I used to carry a .38 snubbie in my purse. The idea was that even if I didn't have time to draw it, I could hit them with the purse to stun them. After thinking about it, I decided that it wasn't a good idea because if someone is very close to you, there's no room to build any momentum with a swing. Also, if someone just wanted my purse, I didn't want them to have my gun too. Unfortunately, most women's styles prohibit an IWB holster, so these days I usually end up carrying some sort of pepper spray.

For hand-to-hand though, I think it's best to stick with the basics. Focus on soft targets like the eyes, nose, and larynx.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peppermint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Hiker

How about a 68cal pistol that shoots marbles?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 AM
So overt, I'm covert

As a child I was taught to be quite and not draw attention to myself. i worked lock down juvie for 9 years and learned verbal skills. As a truck driver I learned that being loud and telling someone who's approaching, 'STOP" shocks them! While hunting I've come across others in the woods I didn't recognize, barely repostion the rifle and command them to stop while at a distance I could still defend myself. I also saw a video that says a finger in the soft part of the throat will bring down a bear. Try it, barely touch yourself where neck meets body...takes almost no pressure. ALWAYS have a plan in your head of what you will do and go over the plan in your head. Carry a legal knife in your purse. On the truck I carried an air horn, small one like you may take to a football game (they fit in a phone holder).
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
paranoid

Good stuff here. I respectfully disagree with Duncan on one point: avoid eye contact. I say you look that sucker straight in the eye and convey, "I will hurt you if I have too." I agree with his post and the others. Be alert. Be aware. Be ready. Remember anything can be used as a weapon.

Peppermint is right about using your voice. When I lived in Columbus, I ran off more thugs with my voice than anything. Sure I had a 22 in my purse but they didn't know and didn't need to know. A simple "Step away NOW!" was enough.

I hate to say it but those that did hurt me were people I knew well. A couple were family. Be aware of that always. Just because you know someone doesn't mean you can always let your guard down. I make it a point to tell anyone I plan on spending time with, I try to be a nice lady, but if you put me in a corner I will fight my way out.

The thing that bothers me the most about women putting themselves in danger is drinking. I see young women who are military trained render themselves defenseless with just 2 or 3 drinks. Don't do that! Drink smart. If you are planning on drinking make a plan before you go out. Go with people you trust and don't leave them. If you go out to smoke take someone with you. Never leave a drink anywhere and come back to it.

If you are going with someone you don't know very well, like a first date etc. don't drink. Meet somewhere that you are known by patrons and staff. Make sure your family knows where you are and when you will return. Have a code word or phrase ready which indicates "call police- urgent danger." There will be plenty of time for a glass of wine or a beer with that person later, if they are worthy.

If you can't fight, learn how. It is better to take a whoopin now from someone you trust and learn from it. Like any weapon or tool it is something you hope not to use, but may well save your life one day. You need to know how to drop your attacker.

Always carry. If you can't or won't carry a firearm, carry things you are comfortable with. Many women use keys for defense. One poster said hot water. One kid I know can bring down a man with a lollipop and she's 5'2". Look around you before you need a weapon and realize what you can use. Avoid anything that can be taken away and used against you. A tire iron or baseball bat comes to mind. A few women have told me of the scars they have left with their rings. Army surplus always has neat stuff for ladies to carry. The time to consider these things is before we find ourselves in a bad situation.

I have a daughter who thinks I'm paranoid beyond belief. Thankfully she has grasped a lot of what I have taught her. She's not old enough to carry in Illinois yet, but believe me the girl is protected. She doesn't look like a victim. I'm pretty sure she could hog tie me, and I grew up fighting.
The Following User Says Thank You to kraankyolelady For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

I will fourth the Bjj and add a judo boxing muay thai or MMA. For pretty much the same reasons.

On your back I would advise
stand up
sweep
submit.(Them)

In that order.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Telling anyone to learn a system where you automatically go to ground is bad advice!! Tactically why put yourself at a disadvantage? If you are still on your feet in an attack, there are many things you can do to an assailant using feet, knees, mobility. BJJ gives a false sense of security........anyone who knows will tell you there are no tap-outs in a street fight when you are fighting for you life. Think about it, a 110 pound girl being assalted by a 230 pound male, no amount of BJJ B.S. is gonna save her.
The Following User Says Thank You to redhawk44357 For This Useful Post: