Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional martial arts or mma Grass hopper Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 95 06-18-2017 10:23 AM
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 10:30 PM
Martial Arts Promotions PhotonGuy General Discussion 35 01-11-2015 10:33 AM
Martial Arts Renegade Coach Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 64 08-15-2014 03:43 AM
Martial Arts Thoughts... anmut Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 130 11-28-2013 09:31 PM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 11:17 PM
Best Martial arts to learn? ddog27 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 200 06-23-2012 07:24 AM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 08:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 04:06 PM
Martial Arts for the Prepper ready1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-05-2008 12:56 PM

Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Double tap

Advertise Here

You know your in a great school when you line up to have your fat sensei gives you a through chop to demonstrate is "badassness" Then your bow to him for the privilege.

OP - Consider Judo an option providing you can find a school. I truly believe it is the most underrated martial art. Aikido is heavy on arm throws which I have never found effective in a real world application. However, you get a few hip throws and a few leg sweeps under your belt and they will serve you well the rest of your life.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to USJudo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM

GRACIE JIU-JITSU.
it's an amazing system of self-defense that uses the big, strong attacker's momentum against him and to your favor. I have been doing Gracie JiuJitsu for 6 years now and it has changed my life. It's about using the least possible energy and strength to accomplish the goal. If you're not convinced, go to youtube and type "gracie vs" and see for yourself. no flashy moves that look like they belong in a movie. Lot's of sweeps, throws and trips, because 95% of martial arts do not have a ground game, whereas that is our area of expertise.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,648 Times in 1,748 Posts

James Bond(ish) Krav Maga.

Oh, oh...the shirts are coming off in this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VJ94mCmzU&NR=1

I've actually been to Zielona Gora.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ7 View Post
Correction, you like Aikido because you're afraid to get punched in the face at full force during hard sparring or even at 50-60% power in a real fighting gym such as Boxing and MMA gyms.

You will never know true self defense because you're afraid to get hit. Your weak training doesn't address getting hit for real. All you do is a bunch of choreographed moves where some guy hands you his arm in slow motion so you can do a magic move on them. On the streets, there will be full speed fists coming towards your face with feints, combos, footwork, etc. And chances are, you will get hit.

You merely train in the art of pretending to fight by never getting struck in the face at 100% power nor striking back at 100% power....yet you think this is somehow, realistic training.
If you don't have to get hit don't. There's nothing wrong with adopting a style where you don't get your head caved in! If you don't want to get hit I would recommend wing chun. It is the fastest fighting style in the world! If you can punch someone 13 times in a second your punches don't ha've to be very strong! Also jn wing chun you learn to fight without sight (helpful are night) and there is always extensive sparring in a wing Chun class. This is the style I starters out at the age of 13, and after 3 months I could hold my own with a full grown man! I would highly recommend it to a female of slight build.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
crabby old bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelslayer97 View Post
If you don't have to get hit don't. There's nothing wrong with adopting a style where you don't get your head caved in! If you don't want to get hit I would recommend wing chun. It is the fastest fighting style in the world! If you can punch someone 13 times in a second your punches don't ha've to be very strong! Also jn wing chun you learn to fight without sight (helpful are night) and there is always extensive sparring in a wing Chun class. This is the style I starters out at the age of 13, and after 3 months I could hold my own with a full grown man! I would highly recommend it to a female of slight build.
If you never get hit in class then odds are you will freeze up and/or panic when the day comes you actually do get hit. Granted everyone tries to avoid taking the opponent's punches, yet it's not always possible. This is not a slight against Wing Chun per se, although I have serious doubts about your views on the style. It's difficult to imagine taking any instructor seriously that claims you would never get hit. In fact I would be likely to insist on sparring with them.

Hitting fast is a good thing. Except when your puches have no power. Then you are wasting energy and doing little other than amusing your opponent. Some of the new students in my class throw weak punches (fast or not) and it doesn't even slow me down. Speed+Power=Solid Punches.

Being a martial arts student doesn't require the look of a body builder. Yet it does require strength training. Without strength even throwing a decent punch is not possible much less dealing with grappling. Spend a little time on the floor with a training partner and tell me again how strength is not a factor.

What do you call 'extensive sparring' by the way? Do you and the other students wear gloves? If nobody is getting hit then you are not sparring unless it's grappling only day. Unless you can provide some real evidence there are fighters who can fight and win without ever getting hit (and in over 20 years of martial arts I have never seen that) I have to say that you are either mislead or choose to believe something that obviously does not work.

Again I'm not knocking the Wing Chun style (although I have my doubts about something which does not teach grappling). Your views about never getting hit and not needing any power just contradict anything I've seen in martial arts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old corvus 41 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelslayer97 View Post

Sorry mate, i aint buying that.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaWhiskyBravo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,648 Times in 1,748 Posts

13 times in a second?

I'd like to see some documented evidence of that.

We're talking about real combat fighting here, not Hong Kong Kung Fu fantasy.

A 13 year child old will not hold their own in a real fight with a grown man, unless the man has got his hands cuffed behind him and both his legs are tied together.

You're talking to ex-military, Police, Security, Bouncers, all sorts of professional kick-ass folk on this thread....and we're kinda past the boys own fantasy of Bruce Lee putting down a dozen guys with Kung Fu and a mean look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post: