Found a great news source. "Roku Haystack". - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great news - Trump signs Vets Choice leadcounsel Political News and Discussion 22 04-27-2017 02:17 PM
Great news, David Brock had a heart attack brewmaster1918 General Discussion 19 03-24-2017 09:56 PM
Are you ready for the savagery? Louie at the end... South African Preppers 30 03-07-2017 03:25 PM

Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,379 Posts
Default Found a great news source. "Roku Haystack".

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
SNIP
And the neat thing is, all the old Star trek, House, Archer, etc, plus a fair selection of movies, is all available on demand, similar to a DVR.

SNIP[/url]

Sounds like it’d be worth it just for Archer!!
That show cracks me up but the new Arby’s commercial is a bit of a buzzkill by putting a (unflattering) face to Sterling Archer. The same guy also does Bob on Bobs Burgers...ummm, Phrasing!?!?!...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 17,304 Times in 3,685 Posts

I finally dumped Dish after my monthly bill went from $65 to $100.

The best combination I found was the Roku Streaming Stick+, which is frequntly on sale at Amazon for $50. I bought three of those. That's a one-time fee.

We then added Hulu's Live TV for $44.99 per month. That package includes all the major channels, including Fox News, plus the local channels in your area. You can run up to two TVs simultaneously with this package.

You do need Wi-Fi and Internet with a good streaming speed. Ours is 50 Mb/s and works great, even when two TVs are running in high def.

You will not get Fox News live on the Ruku Streaming Stick. You only get the excerpts that you find on YouTube. The Hulu package filled in all the gaps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:09 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 68,278 Times in 20,835 Posts

Update, there is a Roku app called "Check the Headlines"
https://channelstore.roku.com/detail...-the-headlines

It gives you a photo image of the major US newspapers.
It shows 3 front pages at a time and cycles through most of the country's major newspapers.

WSJ, Washington post, USA today, The Mercury News, Times Union, the state, LA times, Houston Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, Denver post, Boston Globe, Arizona Republic, Star tribune, the plain dealer, the Seattle times, the Hill, The Dallas Daily times, Miami Herald, Indianapollis star, Detroit free press, Kansas city star, Pitts Post gazette, Orlando Sentenal, Hartford Courant, La Vegas Review-Journal , The Star Ledger, Pioneer Press, the Baltimore Sun, Arkansas Democrat Gazette, the Oklahoman, The columbus Dispatch, the Charlotte Observer, the buffalo News, The Times Picayune, Daily Herald, Bismark Tribune, Journal Star, clarion Ledger, Courier Journal, Chicago Tribune, Some Alaska Paper . Many more. Tired of typing.

You can also set it as a screensaver.
Not bad for being free.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Sounds like a winner. We already do Roku, but I was considering putting up an antenna so I could get some local news.
I have a simple set of TERK rabbit ears upstairs. bought them off Amazon like 15 years ago. I run it through a powered little amplifier and send it down the coax to all the TVs. It gets all the TV channels in Houston. Just have to get it set in the right direction to receive everything.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...RoCMIoQAvD_BwE
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,566 Times in 3,335 Posts

Quote:
A week ago I bought a ROKU TV streaming stick plus to check out the free TV channels it delivers. (From your wifi)

They have an App channel called haystack TV.
You select which news sources you would like it to display, and then what subjects you are interested in.

I picked around 9 sources. A couple local TV news stations, a couple others in cities I am interested, FOX, CBS, NBC and ABC national news, Localized news, Reuters, Al Jizz, Newsy, Bloomberg, Scitech, Editor picks, CNET, and I think BBC.

It then streams and delivers very high quality news and regional local weather
to your eyeballs. Very few commercials or meaningless chit chat / arguments between the talking heads.

Condensed, purified focused news! Not 3 hours on the latest shooting! They tell you what is going on that is newsworthy around the world. They will cover the latest shooting, tell you the info efficiently, play important clips, then move on.
They must have a pretty good news director that picks the best clips, because it really delivers excellent content.
And if a story comes on that you aren't interested in, just hit the fast forward a couple times and on to the next news story.

They should have called it "News Heaven."

And it is free after you buy the device, which is the size of my thumb and plugs into an HDMI port on the TV. I paid $60 at a local Best Buy.
And it will provide super high def.

They have cheaper versions as well.
I suppose there are a bunch of other channels available, and you can pay extra to stream content from Amazon or NetFlix (or any premium movie channel).

Just passing along the info, since our national news has been pretty much corrupted. A breath of fresh air.

Some of the cord cutters out there are probably already using this device or one of the other models.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Roku and I don't own a network news station.
Thanks for the link, commenting here to sub to the thread

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I stopped my satellite service about a year ago (I just wasn't watching it anymore. I would come home from work and surf the web. Felt foolish paying money to the opposition which has become just a bunch of broadcast propaganda). and have just been using the Over the air antenna which gets a LOT of stations. With the addition of this device, There is no way I could go back to paying for satellite.

By the way, you can also watch any TV news channel in the country on another App. Just type the city, and it will give you a list of the local stations. Click on one and you are watching it.

Technology is empowering the people.

They pay for the operation with their commercials, which are short and sweet. Then back to streaming. I think I had more commercials on Dish network.
"NewsOn" is the free APP that lets you watch local news at most stations nationwide.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 AM

OAN News (One America News), is also available with their free APP as is Al Jazeera, Reuters, RT news, Bloomberg, and FOX News (with some delay).

Also, for houston, there is the KHOU11 news channel APP.

If you missed the news, all the stories are right there. Just click.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,406 Times in 3,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Would be nice but those of us with limited Internet, due to remote locations, can not make use of such devices. Video requires massive amounts of Data.
How remote are you? I live in the boonies of AZ and my wife is currently watching a show on Roku while I am online typing this. Both connected to the web via a Verizon hotspot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,423 Posts

I have Roku but wasn't aware of haystack, I'll take a look.

On occasion I go for a single month of Netflix or Amazon Prime. Last time I got Netflix free as I had been away more than a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Found a Roku app that lets you watch local TV for free, streaming through the Roku.

LOCAST.ORG

It even gives you a TV program grid. Goodbye OTA and now I don't need to mess with the TV remote at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,567 Times in 9,117 Posts

I love it, I can watch all of my Youtube channels i'm subscribed to on it. I spend more time watching stuff on Roku and playing on my puter than I do Dish Network. I was going to kill it and my son objected so I told him he needed to cough up the money or i'm turning it off. He now pays for it. 145 bucks a month. The boy is nuts I think for paying that but he dosen't go out to eat or anything, he goes to work, comes home and stays in his bedroom 90% of the time either watching Dish or playing his games.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Daughter OfThe Revolution

Thanked 108,691 Times in 26,869 Posts

Subbed.......
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,423 Posts

LOCAST.ORG only works for select cities
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
I'd dump Dish satellite if I could find another source for Fox cable news. I have a couple of TVs on satellite and others on a local antenna.

I might try a Roku box, but it sounds like Fox cable news is not part of that.

FYI. If it looks like there are too many commercials on TV programs, that's because a standard 1-hour TV program is down to 38 minutes of actual entertainment. More than one-third of every hour is commercials. When cable first came out, the way they talked you into paying for it was because it was commercial-free. That didn't last long.
If you have or have access to an AT&T account log in there is an AT&T TV app you can download. It's the same content as Dish Network. Free! Same as Dish but free.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Just adding this channel list for reference.

Here are the free channels I recommend.
Haystack TV - News
Newson - Local news in any city
ReutersTV - news
RT - news
Newsy - news
Roku channel - Free movies.
Bloomberg - news
Pluto TV - Fairly useless old stuff, but its free.
Foxnews - news
ABC news - news
NFL - gives highlites of every game played, scores, etc.
ABC
Foxnow
Youtube
PBS
NBCNews
Weathernation
PBS
Watch free flix
Tubi
Nasa channel
NBC
Fawesome TV
Xumo free movies
TED
The Yoga channel
ChiveTV
Primitive Technology
Skynews
NOAA - weather
Crackle - free movies
Vudu - free movies
Discovery GO
OAN One America Network news
Newspapers4K - gives the front page of about 40 newspapers daily.
CBSNews live 24/7
Dust- Scifi

LoCast - gives all the local TV channels. Only works for a few big cities. Houston and Dallas are included.

The following can let you play stuff from phone on the TV. There is an NFL live stream phone app that needed one of them.
Another is used by Youtube on the phone. Just hit a button and it is playing on the TV.

R-Cast
Web Video Center

There is no way I would search through all those free movie channels, but by using the microphone search feature on the remote, it quickly determines if it is available and from where. Hit a button and you are watching it.

You can also have it follow all the TV shows you like that are broadcast on regular network TV channels. They become available like a DVR after 1 day has passed from the air date. That shows up under "My Feed" I think also.

Between all that, plus Amazon prime movies and programs and Hulu, there is a huge amount of stuff to keep you entertained.

Locast provides local TV channels for:
Baltimore
New York
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Dallas
Washington DC
Rapid City
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Sioux Falls
Houston
Atlanta
Denver
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Gatorbait

Who watches mainstream news?
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,517 Times in 2,603 Posts

excellent info for newer tech Justme11!

Subbed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM
Trapper

[QUOTE=Lagnar;19136774]My TVs have ROKU built in. I haven't enabled it yet since I only watch OTA TV.

Whenever anything is "free" there's a catch. If I remember correctly some Visio smart TVs were spying on people. Is ROKU collecting data on your viewing habits and compiling and sharing a database connected to your IP address?

It's just me, but I don't trust things like that. Ever read the fine print on phone aps before you download them? You are giving them access to your entire phone, contacts list, e-mail, SD card, everything.

I know it's impossible to be anonymous online, but anything "free" raises red flags.[/QUOTE

You are right, Lagnar.
When I got my high speed internet and was reading the "fine print", I couldn't believe how much privacy I had to give up in order to have high speed internet. I had to agree to let the provider--Century Link-- into my home to have access to my computer--even if I'm not home-- at any time for them to see if I'm visiting sites they don't approve of. (I kid you not!)
At the time, I was so fed up with dial-up that I'd have signed anything they wanted me to-- and did! So far, nobody has come knocking on my door, yet.